IGNORED

Drugs & electronic music (culture)

tokn

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spaced out 60s rock sounds a lot more like drugs to me than most experimental electronic/noise. Probably because with the latter you can get very unusual sounds even with a very clinical mindset. Harder to do with a couple of guitars & a drum set.

I've never done drugs, though.

some electronic people did drugs and are cool and some didnt and are cool also, same of the other way

I agree with these.

this forum wouldn't be here without drugs and music

your body is just a bunch of chemicals reacting so if you have the knowledge and know what your taking you can enlighten your life however there's a difference between use and abuse so looking after ones self is more paramount when pushing the envelope

there's also a difference between addictive, recreational and psychotropic

the law doesn't come into any drugs argument imho it's just there to make as much money out of society

I used a lot of drugs in art school (weed,mushrooms, x and acid) and found it a useful tool in the development of an aesthetic. After a while it came to be a crutch and it became counterproductive because I would just stare at paintings for hours and not get anything done. I've talked to other creative type friends and they all have a similar take on it. I still smoke weed but now it's part of a ritual after finishing a project. I smoke a joint, listen to some good music in the garden and relax. The next day I get back to work.

admittedly not that smarty.

but there are drug-free electronic acts...

drugs and dance music culture = deeply ingrained... idm/electronic music is an off-shoot/by-product of that?

name five decent ones?

I can't.

Its hard to know who takes drugs and who doesnt.

Its not about the artist taking, its about the listener needing them.

My mate has said on several occasions while in my car (cant remember what I was playing), "How are you not a pill head?"

Its hard to know who takes drugs and who doesnt.

Its not about the artist taking, its about the listener needing them.

My mate has said on several occasions while in my car (cant remember what I was playing), "How are you not a pill head?"

I got this treatment after a gig when someone offered me weed and I told him I don't smoke weed or do drugs... He looked at me confused like and said "you make that music and don't do drugs?"

The one time I had a good experience on pot it was while listening to Squarepusher. I imagined 8-bit visuals getting spat out of my stereo which corresponded to the beats, endlessly fascinating. Most other times I've smoked pot I've either become really tired or horribly schizo. When I'm on E I become super critical about things, and sometimes I even dislike music I normally adore (for instance I found Thom York's singing style completely repulsive while high, whereas normally I think it suits the music rather well and can appreciate it for being unique). I also vehemently vented out my disgust for some rave music a DJ was playing at a Halloween party I went to the first time I did E, heheh... so yeah there's no way i could ever do the drugged out raver thing.

I get that on a regular basis, from friends as well as acquaintances (used to smoke weed, quit a year and a half ago and never looked back). I always find it funny, because I've never associated the majority of the iddums with drugs of any kind. Shoegaze (slowdive), sludge (electic wizard) or more laid-back, fuzzy guitar-based music (Garbage) have always struck me as far more drug-related than anything electronic.

admittedly not that smarty.

but there are drug-free electronic acts...

drugs and dance music culture = deeply ingrained... idm/electronic music is an off-shoot/by-product of that?

name five decent ones?

I can't.

Might be the ones you least suspect?

I got this treatment after a gig when someone offered me weed and I told him I don't smoke weed or do drugs... He looked at me confused like and said "you make that music and don't do drugs?"

LOL

Archived