IGNORED

Skrillex - Discuss, Debate, Praise, Hate

YEK

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what I've gathered. Credibility Statement: One of my close friends loves skrillex.

Say what you will about Skrillex (if it's negative I'll agree with you) but the man boy is good at making ridiculously low wobbly bass. It's not melodic, funky, or soulful; but it's really damn loud, obnoxious, and fun. This friend of mine also loves the transformer movies, but, he recognizes that they are total shit. I think he just enjoys the special effects/sound engineering because it's loud, obnoxious and fun.

Skrillex and Transformers are appealing to the same people. People who care less about quality and more about extreme effects. If you were to show them Scorn they would probably think Skrillex was better. Skrillex can make a louder bass riff, but he can't make shit for soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaIZ0mUJzr0

If you look at the comments, the whole cult following regarding this song centers around "Drop the Bass" (1:18). Hell, I even appreciate the bass, but there's not ANY soul or groove behind it. Scorn should remix skrillex.

the top comment from that youtube video?

iY42p.gif

Here's what I've gathered. Credibility Statement: One of my close friends loves skrillex.

Say what you will about Skrillex (if it's negative I'll agree with you) but the man boy is good at making ridiculously low wobbly bass. It's not melodic, funky, or soulful; but it's really damn loud, obnoxious, and fun. This friend of mine also loves the transformer movies, but, he recognizes that they are total shit. I think he just enjoys the special effects/sound engineering because it's loud, obnoxious and fun.

Skrillex and Transformers are appealing to the same people. People who care less about quality and more about extreme effects. If you were to show them Scorn they would probably think Skrillex was better. Skrillex can make a louder bass riff, but he can't make shit for soul.

[omitted for the sake of space]

If you look at the comments, the whole cult following regarding this song centers around "Drop the Bass" (1:18). Hell, I even appreciate the bass, but there's not ANY soul or groove behind it. Scorn should remix skrillex.

That's actually all modern dubstep seems to be. If you go look at some Boxcutter tracks on Youtube, there's the fit thrown by people that post comments because "This is dubstep but where's the bass drop?!" It totally is the CGI action movie genre of music in the states. Every song is more predictable than every Scooby Doo episode, though in reading about it, people generally like being able to predict melodies (if there are any in these songs) and that's why pop music is pop music. It's feeding the people ice cream with just the right amount of jimmies instead of giving them that one really specific flavor that only Ben & Jerry's makes during a certain season that only certain people like.

It does bother me when people don't objectively agree that some things are shit as you would say for the Transformers films. Stuff can be good but still objectively be shit, though I think most of the WATMM community hates to agree to that or stoop to liking things that are shit (at least, I do, even if I have a lot of synthpop). One of my friends gets mad when anyone says anything about him saying his favorite movies are literally the recent Transformers movies because he thinks the story and acting are good. Maybe a lot of people long for the day when pop music was or will be full of more than people making it to hand out ice cream to the people that's a resounding "eh, yeah I'll take it!" That's probably the enigma that is The Beatles and Michael Jackson, I suppose.

I completely agree with all of that, although I do legitimately appreciate the Beatles' work.

/thread? What's left to discuss?

the top comment from that youtube video?

iY42p.gif

Wooooooah Noooooo!

Guest nene multiple assgasms

every skrillex gif i've ever seen has been amazing.

The one on this page looks like a totally aggro Pantene Pro-V advert

his next album should be a cd compilation of gifs.

other stuff

stuff

I completely agree with all of that, although I do legitimately appreciate the Beatles' work.

I appreciate the work of The Beatles and Michael Jackson too, even if I don't like some/all of it. It's really hard to hate the Thriller LP and to hate anything by The Beatles (even that god damn Christmas album).

other stuff

stuff

I appreciate the work of The Beatles and Michael Jackson too, even if I don't like some/all of it. It's really hard to hate the Thriller LP and to hate anything by The Beatles (even that god damn Christmas album).

if you heard them every fucking time you went into Liverpool, because they're played on the radios in shops, you would hate them too.

It's not hard to hate The Beatles at all.

other stuff

stuff

if you heard them every fucking time you went into Liverpool, because they're played on the radios in shops, you would hate them too.

It's not hard to hate The Beatles at all.

I don't like it, but fuck do I hate hearing AC/DC at every sporting event ever as well as god damn Sandstorm. That and the back catalogue from The Beatles is massive and I don't live in Liverpool.

Fuck, I haven't left my house in over a week, so I don't hear shit in shops.

araabMuzik is not a DJ. It´s like people calling Jeremy ellis a DJ. These guys know how to tear it on midi controllers. Unlike some people who tweak unassigned knobs on a trigger finger.

HE IS SO GOOD AT PUSHING BUTTONS WITH PRE-ASSIGNED SAMPLES!

That shit towards the middle where he's pushing buttons really fast sounds horrible.

At least Skrillex can make his own sounds, this fuck just pushes buttons and rearranges them into:

1. Rhythms Skrillex has already made in other songs.

2. The sound you make when you program random notes into a drum machine for the first time and turn the tempo all of the way up to hear what it sounds like.

Guest liquiday

araabMuzik is not a DJ. It´s like people calling Jeremy ellis a DJ. These guys know how to tear it on midi controllers. Unlike some people who tweak unassigned knobs on a trigger finger.

That shit towards the middle where he's pushing buttons really fast sounds horrible.

At least Skrillex can make his own sounds, this fuck just pushes buttons and rearranges them into:

2. The sound you make when you program random notes into a drum machine for the first time and turn the tempo all of the way up to hear what it sounds like.

He's not a button pusher, he is a square-pusher !!

[...]

Sorry, I don't want to be rude but this is the most stupid comment I've read this year: "pre-assigned samples"? wtf?! is this the first time you see a fucking sampler? or you want to see him selecting samples in his live?

He is playing a Skrillex track; of course it will sound like Skrillex because is Skrillex :derp:

and on youtube you said "DJs don't push buttons with pre-assigned samples. They have to have talent." :mellow: lol yeah sure... maybe 1% of the DJ's in the world have something like "talent" but most of them don't "have to have talent".

Anyway this dubstep shit is awful, here is a guy how really knows how to push buttons:

[youtubehd]JcY2r-sUcHg[/youtubehd]

you were going so well but you just lost it :facepalm:

really i hope that statement is a trolling...

Guest ruiagnelo

what a bunch of jealous losers you all

Guest Backson

yeah, shut up.

the fact araab got sucked into this for no reason is retarded.

next time we have a death metal thread, are we going to argue about araab again because he chopped up a cannibal corpse song?

skrillex is highly shit, don't let him bring araab down in the process.

[...]

Sorry, I don't want to be rude but this is the most stupid comment I've read this year: "pre-assigned samples"? wtf?! is this the first time you see a fucking sampler? or you want to see him selecting samples in his live?

Christ, didn't clarify/proofread, that post sounded very unintelligent. They're not HIS samples, they're just Skrillex's samples, and then he rearranges them to make them sound like Skrillex. I don't see how he can be called the fastest dub step DJ if he's pushing Skrillex buttons to sound like Skrillex.

I haven't seen any of arab's other stuff. But I can safely say that this is talentless, and shit.

im going to make a skrillex space video game called skrillaxian where ur a skrillex and u shoot wubs at ur enemys who try to attack u with slowed down auto tune vocals or whatevers in the "future bass" music

Archived