IGNORED

Skrillex - Discuss, Debate, Praise, Hate

YEK

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I only recently, like a month ago, found out about Skrillex. Read the posts about him on both WATMM and Twoism. So today I decided I'd check him out and see what he has to offer. I started with "scary monsters and nice sprites", and thought the music was kinda corny with that crappy high pitched vocoder'd voice. Then the bass drop came and I thought: hey, that's kinda cool sounding. so I moved on to "First of the Year". It had the exact same crappy high pitched voice cut up and virtually the same yelling leading to another bass drop. The bass drop was awesome sounding, and I thought: maybe this guy is not so bad if you can get around the crappy rest of the song. I continued to view "Rock and Roll", again with the crappy voice! What the hell is with this guy and that crappy voice. It came again in "kill everybody". this is bullshit, i thought. So I ended up just skipping past the crap and listening to the drops only. Boy that got old fast. Within half an hour to forty five minutes I was utterly unimpressed by the drops anymore. He's got some really good production skills, and is definitely talented at what he does. But good grief, he's the epitome of one trick pony. I really hope I'm wrong and he's been secretly making actual good music behind the scenes. After all, he has good taste in music declaring "Flim" as his favourite song. He may just be milking the one trick pony to get famous and rich, then once he's established as an icon, he may release something worthwhile. This is what I hope anyways.

There you have it.

holy lol

like him or not, he did create a signature sound that everyone else is tryin to rip off nowadays.

http://strikegently....eak-skrillex-5/

I've told friends that hearing people hype Skrillex as novel is like hearing people hype Nickelback for making "signature" grunge everybody is trying to rip off nowadays

great analogy

He may just be milking the one trick pony to get famous and rich, then once he's established as an icon, he may release something worthwhile. This is what I hope anyways.

There you have it.

Big fat ass bull shit. He totally sucks at producing because hes not creative, he keeps doing all the same thing in all tracks. Period. 10 years from now nobody will remember him.

He may just be milking the one trick pony to get famous and rich, then once he's established as an icon, he may release something worthwhile. This is what I hope anyways.

There you have it.

Big fat ass bull shit. He totally sucks at producing because hes not creative, he keeps doing all the same thing in all tracks. Period. 10 years from now nobody will remember him.

That's likely the truth. But I was just explaining what I hope. No need to get all upset.

Guest cctoide

maybe he'll end up coming here once his popularity wanes.

I say that as a joke but if he's a genuine Aphex/IDM fan as some pre-Skrillex photos might indicate there might be a nonzero chance of that happening.

I say that as a joke but if he's a genuine Aphex/IDM fan as some pre-Skrillex photos might indicate there might be a nonzero chance of that happening.

he's already here.

http://forum.watmm.com/user/368-sonny/

oh......my......goodness....gracious....

From that skrillex forum link:

"

Urumi says

(2 days ago)

oh god , dear you don't have to apology ♥

why are you apologizing? for being yourself ?

if they can not open their mind a little bit more that's their problem and therefore your shouldnt apology.

I think I understand that may be a bit sad to loose fans or something because you changed .

as we change we lose friends/fans but meet new ppl .. I guess.

but please do not apologies because of people who have been spitting criticism because you changed. please .

they don't deserve you to apology , you're who you are and that's your life . as long as you're confident and you enjoy your life . there's nothing to apolgy about.

For me Sonny Moore and Skrillex remain the same guy ."

Is that Sup?

he's already here.

I don't think that's him.

he's already here.

it is.

100 percent sure this guy is a cutter.

I'm going to agree. Not sure what a cutter is though.

LOL

So I only recently, like a month ago, found out about Skrillex. Read the posts about him on both WATMM and Twoism. So today I decided I'd check him out and see what he has to offer. I started with "scary monsters and nice sprites", and thought the music was kinda corny with that crappy high pitched vocoder'd voice. Then the bass drop came and I thought: hey, that's kinda cool sounding. so I moved on to "First of the Year". It had the exact same crappy high pitched voice cut up and virtually the same yelling leading to another bass drop. The bass drop was awesome sounding, and I thought: maybe this guy is not so bad if you can get around the crappy rest of the song. I continued to view "Rock and Roll", again with the crappy voice! What the hell is with this guy and that crappy voice. It came again in "kill everybody". this is bullshit, i thought. So I ended up just skipping past the crap and listening to the drops only. Boy that got old fast. Within half an hour to forty five minutes I was utterly unimpressed by the drops anymore. He's got some really good production skills, and is definitely talented at what he does. But good grief, he's the epitome of one trick pony. I really hope I'm wrong and he's been secretly making actual good music behind the scenes. After all, he has good taste in music declaring "Flim" as his favourite song. He may just be milking the one trick pony to get famous and rich, then once he's established as an icon, he may release something worthwhile. This is what I hope anyways.

There you have it.

This will fill you in...

I think you missed out on a huge amount of frustration and anger, but also renewed appreciation for good electronic music. I heard brostep for the first time, while drunk, on a crappy boombox at a new year's party just over a year ago. My friends sister (a huge Skrillex fan now, even got his haircut) was like "oh hey do you like this!?" (she knew I liked dubstep...she didn't know we had different taste) and I was like "oh yeah totally" then made farty beatbox noises until for about a good minute. I had no idea that Skrillex (and Excision, Nero, Datsik, Bassix, Wub Zomby, Steppenwub, Mt Eden, etc) would become "dubstep" and the genre would become the most epic meme of 2011, to the level "emo" achieved years ago. This new year's I heard briefly brostep and laughed it off. It's shit, but I don't care. I haven't fully embraced the liberating feeling of not caring about the grand fact that a lot of people are fucking idiots. As far as well-known producers go, I think only James Blake has really been resentful of the brostep popularity, probably because so many douchey fans attended his US festival gigs (I saw drunk high school aged bros waiting for drops in his set at ACL). Skream and Rusko aren't critical of its popularity but also don't get it. Everyone else has moved on to laughing at it. Also, my first experience with Skrillex stemmed from the Britney Spears thread...he did an interview with MTV as "the most prominent dubstep producer" to ask his opinion of her "dubstep" track. I despise him from the get go for his arrogant attitude, now I just don't care. I think he doesn't get it (i.e. reverts to valid criticism as "haters") but I don't hate him. A year ago I would of wanted him to visit Croydon and get stabbed. Now I rather him serve as a perpetual meme. Also, I don't want him to be a brostep martyr.

he's already here.

it is.

nah, too many BoC posts, not enough threads about pretty Aphex Twin tracks

Guest cctoide

he's already here.

it is.

the skrillex is coming from inside the house :wtf:

edit: heh, the climax of cock ver10 hit right as I finished typing that and I realized it's probably one of the closest things to a bass drop RDJ has done

Guest Backson

So that's essentially the equivalent of if I made a fan video for VHS Head where me and a guy I've clearly sucked off one point huffed markers and spastically danced around to TROG, and then later in my life I became the dude who broke Juke to mainstream America by adding trance synths and autotune to it.

I think there's a couple of other ones, I'm pretty confident there's a come to daddy video with lots of shouting and gayness.

Archived