IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

Guest bitroast

What is lint?? Where to start on chris ware? I am intrigued*o*??

Start with Quimby Mouse and Jimmy Corrigan

thanks. I will go to comic shop on sat and see if they can help get this stuff :)

how about Lint? is that included in other works? I cant find how to read it..

(thanks again!)

edit** oh there it is! Acme Novelty Library #20 aka. LINT

Edited by bitroast

Yeah Jimmy Corrigan is excellent, I found it pretty ugly at the first look but then I started to read and I was amazed to see how beautiful this story is. I want to read it again. I also have to read more Chris Ware, it's the only thing I know from him.

Also, it's already been like two years now but I'm still very sad that Moebius died. He made the most cazy comic book stuff I know and kept it fresh the whole time (above 80 years old ; how much artists stay innovative so long?).

Also I read my first book of Druillet a couple of months ago and it's pretty crazy. The drawings are just insane. Actually if you look at pictures from the guy he looks pretty crazy, I can completely imagine he's the one drawing those things.

I've nothing else constructive to say. Ah yeah, thanks bitroast for those Nausicaa drawings, now I want to read it. I love Miyazaki. Sometimes I watch some stuff from him again and it makes me want to cry.

Guest FuncRandm

Got a load of the ACME Novelty Library releases from 10+ years ago… was too depressing, so haven't kept up.

I've heard a lot of good things about Invincible, but never really got into it. I should take a look at it :).

Got a load of the ACME Novelty Library releases from 10+ years ago… was too depressing, so haven't kept up.

I've heard a lot of good things about Invincible, but never really got into it. I should take a look at it :).

It's a hell of a ride. Eventually you get to this:

NSFW:

1804896-invincible75___oliver_zps73f843f

Edited by Braintree

Guest Little Lord Faulteroy

Yeah, Chris ware!!

I think i have Lint, Quimby The Mouse (beautiful cover...),

that big red Acme Novelty Library-book (with Big Tex, Tales Of Tomorrow, Rocket Sam, Rusty Brown and big fake advertisement pages like "Ruin Your Life, Draw Cartoons and Doom Yourself" and "Mr. John Cage Made $250 While Doing Absolutely Nothing"),

Jimmy Corrigan, Acme Novelty Library 19 (the lifestory of Rusty Brown & his doomed career as a scifi-novelist, beautiful)

and Building Stories (a masterpiece).

And i can really relate to what A/D & Cryptowen said about Lint, not the best choice to read right before you're going to sleep...

One of the coolest things in that big red Acme Novelty Library-book is a map of the stars with the regular constellations printed in regular ink, but with Ware's own constellations printed in fluorescent ink, so if you do it right, you get this result :)

flE4ZQV.jpg

Edited by Little Lord Faulteroy

Grabbed this today, Grant Morrison. recommended by Strictly Kev.

052BC89B-F85B-4572-BA13-45BDCC842A75_zps

Edit: don't sleep on this one kids it's selling out fast!

Looks like ant man spliced with wolverine spliced with magneto :cerious:

Edited by feltcher

Anyone read LINT by Chris Ware?

acmenovelty20lint.jpeg

It's pretty fucking amazing. Every page represents a year of the main character's life. The story is told so well. It's one of the most emotionally affecting pieces of art I've seen in a good while.

The first few pages are pretty mindblowing.

LINT_affiche-75695.jpg

U_21_119065404254_ChrisWareLint.jpg

Dear god, this one is so fucking heavy.

• 3 weeks later...

cool just found this thread. in that last couple of years particularly after a few visits to japan I started a new hobby - reading manga :) my wife isn't that excited about it as they are filling up the book shelves.

not hugely into US comics - the detective story / super hero story isn't my cup of tea with some exceptions (loved judge dredd in 2000ad when i was growing up). sci-fi manga is my cup of tea and started to collect moebius when a good deal pops up.

recently finished akira, blame!, ghost in the shell series. started reading biomega but it was a bit zany for me. I absolutely loved akira / blame & g.i.t.s. I think they tie into current themes of distrust of authorities, technology beyond the grasp of the majority, post apocalypse society. it all touches a nerve and you have to love the graphic content in these series - truly amazing.

i have a spare set of blame! minus 6, and biomega 1-3 if anyone is looking (not sure if this okay to mention in a thread post :/ happy to trade )

looking to read more classics and move into different genres - think i might tackle lone wolf and cub next

currently reading NAUSICAA : of the valley of the wind manga, by miyazaki.

long running, epic comic series that became the film (which now regarded as studio ghibli's unofficial first founding film).

the film was made while manga was still being written, and only takes up the first ~1/4 of the manga. remainder and majority of the manga is focusing on the war following the events of the film (the film and manga obviously have other differences, ending of the film being big difference). if you like nausicaa or miyazaki's style than this is pretty much a must read !! it has a lot more depth and weight to the story that the film couldn't fit in. it's also enjoyable seeing miyazaki's style improve and refine over the years.

Ahh wow I didn't realise the manga went deeper. I just thought it was a print version of the anime. Thanks for the tip

Guest FuncRandm

Absolutely love the Ghost In The Shell manga. There was so much good stuff circulating around this, but if you're into Anime also, check out GITS: Kokaku Kidotai (Stand Alone Complex for english speakers.) Loving Tatami Galaxy also at the moment, there should be a collected tankobon release available.

Guest bitroast

Oh yeah! The ending on nausicaa manga is so different as well. The manga is cool because it was finished when miyazaki was clearly in a different place artistically, almost phisophically (or maybe refined?) to when he started (which is where the film ends). Defs recommended :)

Not a manga, but I would recommend Scud: The Disposable Assassin since it's an American comic that has a ton of action oriented elements that are influenced from manga and anime.

scud-7.jpg

recently finished akira, blame!, ghost in the shell series. started reading biomega but it was a bit zany for me. I absolutely loved akira / blame & g.i.t.s. I think they tie into current themes of distrust of authorities, technology beyond the grasp of the majority, post apocalypse society. it all touches a nerve and you have to love the graphic content in these series - truly amazing.

If you like this genre, I strongly recommend reading Gunnm (Battle Angel Alita in English), if you haven't read it yet.

Guest bitroast

ooo just finished the latest Charles Burns book Sugar Skull. it's 3rd/final book in trilogy of 3 books.

read the first one x'ed out a while ago and enjoyed it but decided I didn't like having to wait so long to wait between books, so I purchased the hive and left it sitting on my bookshelf for a good while and finally had the opportunity to read all 3 in one sitting. good, interesting read. vague and scary. nightmare-ish but very different to black hole.

some pictures in spoilers (but no spoilers) !!

91D3RYZNMfL.jpg

1-charles-burns-the-hive-2012.jpg

tumblr_n2adocdzfq1r4t46jo1_1280.jpg

xed-out-0029.jpg

Edited by bitroast

Guest FuncRandm

i have both stand alone complex anime series - does the manga go deeper?

Not particularly. It is very different from the original GITS manga, and was written at the same time as the series, worth reading if you don't have the 2 Anime series. If you haven't already seen these it rocks, if not it feels like more of the same and has some of the same stories from the series.