IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

I've read the growing trend with 20something readers is to gravitate to TPBs and away from single issues. You will see a lot more collected volumes now, mark my words. I've seen a lot more library/ archival editions this year as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bitroast

been on a bit of a moebius kick recently.

was doing a wee bit of googling and the like, came across an artist I have not heard of before... Phillipe Druillet.

I have not read his works yet but I am just posting this here because it looks incredible and I think I absolutely need to read it.

also, please feel free to recommend some similar things which you think may be of interest (on similar line of work to this and moebius!~ thank you thank you !)

fwor!!

Flaubert-Druillet-Salammbo1.jpg

wallop!!

Heavy%20Metal%20vol%2008%20no%201%20049-

wow!!

SLH-Lone-Sloane-salammbo.jpg

Guest Little Lord Faulteroy

was doing a wee bit of googling and the like, came across an artist I have not heard of before... Phillipe Druillet.

I have not read his works yet but I am just posting this here because it looks incredible and I think I absolutely need to read it.

also, please feel free to recommend some similar things which you think may be of interest (on similar line of work to this and moebius!~ thank you thank you !)

fwor!!

wallop!!

wow!!

Ah, Druillet & Moebius, i love those guys (especially Moebius)!

I can recommend one artist from the same school as these two, Enki Bilal.

His work is less ink-based, but it has the same SciFi-feeling.

Here are some drawings, i've put them in spoiler because otherwise this post would become too big.

These are only a few examples...

lnRbl3Z.jpg

9RRaMal.jpg

OJzab6a.jpg

Here's a nice video of him in his studio...

And speaking of Druillet & Moebius, in the seventies, there was a French program called Tac-Au-Tac, where they let comic book artists make a collaborative drawings on one big sheet of paper... It's great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPLFGwLA5o0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnxjb8cNzBU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY3Rf0i9hgU

Let's see, I've read quite a bit since my last posting

The Batman collection continues to grow steadily both new and older stuff... Recently picked up the Celebration of 75 Years book, pretty sweet, includes the original Detective Comcs #27 and Batman #1 among other important issues...
9781401247584_p0_v5_s260x420.JPG

Also I've started on Allen Moore's Swamp Thing which is great so far, I've read the first 3 books need to pick up the 4th soon.

Read through book 3 of Fatale, ordering book 4 as I type this...
fatale-vol04-web-72.jpg

fwor!!

wallop!!

wow!!

His run on Silver Surfer was epic.

Guest bitroast

fwor!!

wallop!!

wow!!

Ah, Druillet & Moebius, i love those guys (especially Moebius)!

I can recommend one artist from the same school as these two, Enki Bilal.

His work is less ink-based, but it has the same SciFi-feeling.

Here are some drawings, i've put them in spoiler because otherwise this post would become too big.

These are only a few examples...

Here's a nice video of him in his studio...

And speaking of Druillet & Moebius, in the seventies, there was a French program called Tac-Au-Tac, where they let comic book artists make a collaborative drawings on one big sheet of paper... It's great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY3Rf0i9hgU

holy shit! great post. thanks.

that tac-au-tac program looks incredible. there seems to have been a real sense of artistic innovation happening at that particular time + place. its great to see a tv show was actually on air focusing on the talent that was happening :)

I impulse purchased 2 books from Druillet over the net, apparently they're in english.

I would also like to read that Salammbô comic but having a hard time finding much info on it, not even sure how to get my hands on english copies of it.

hoping the ones i got are not terrible. will report back once they have been received and read :)

img007.jpg

1323375.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bitroast

currently reading NAUSICAA : of the valley of the wind manga, by miyazaki.

long running, epic comic series that became the film (which now regarded as studio ghibli's unofficial first founding film).

the film was made while manga was still being written, and only takes up the first ~1/4 of the manga. remainder and majority of the manga is focusing on the war following the events of the film (the film and manga obviously have other differences, ending of the film being big difference). if you like nausicaa or miyazaki's style than this is pretty much a must read !! it has a lot more depth and weight to the story that the film couldn't fit in. it's also enjoyable seeing miyazaki's style improve and refine over the years.

image011.png

image005.png

the druillet (sp?) looks amazing. covers have a slight roger dean/yes album cover style thing going on.. but more.. gruesome?

and ive read part through nasuicaa, yeah its cool. i need to read more... :]

Anyone reading the Original Sin storyline in Marvel? I've honestly only been familiar with the fringes of that crossover; Guardians, Thor & Loki. I was kinda shocked to pick up an issue yesterday, and it ended with the Red Skull's vision of concentration camps for super powered people. Yikes, he's going back to his Nazi roots...

I bought Batman: Year One recently. Two thirds in. So bored. I don't know why I thought I'd like a Batman comic. I need something more existentialist that messes with my mind. Feel free to recommend anything like that.

I bought Batman: Year One recently. Two thirds in. So bored. I don't know why I thought I'd like a Batman comic. I need something more existentialist that messes with my mind. Feel free to recommend anything like that.

Year One is a bit slow as it is an origins story, it's considered an essential for that reason, but it's not exactly the most interesting of the Batman arcs... If you're willing to give Batman another chance, try some of the other early arcs like The Long Halloween or for more existentialist try Arkham Asylum. The Killing Joke and The Man Who Laughs are a great looks into the Joker's psych. You're never gonna get anything too deep out of Batman though, but it's not supposed to be, it's a superhero comic, it's just fun light reading.

Edited by ghOsty

Anyone read LINT by Chris Ware?

acmenovelty20lint.jpeg

It's pretty fucking amazing. Every page represents a year of the main character's life. The story is told so well. It's one of the most emotionally affecting pieces of art I've seen in a good while.

The first few pages are pretty mindblowing.

LINT_affiche-75695.jpg

U_21_119065404254_ChrisWareLint.jpg

Guest FuncRandm

Reading the following series at the moment:

- Black Science; My favourite series of the last few years. Really well put together, love the characters and the very basic Time Tunnel style plot.
- The Manhattan Projects; Utterly psychotic, but liking the storyline as it grows.
- B.P.R.D; I love Hellboy, and the End Times kickoff they are continuing in the series is very readable.

- East of West; 4 horsemen of the apocalypse appear, one of them wants out. Really amazing series, up to issue 14/15 at the moment.

- Abe Sapien; Continuation of the End Times story lines. Just had to read this.

- Anderson Psi-Division; Just started over the last few weeks. Digging the first issue.

- Walking Dead; You should just read this if you aren't already. The single best selling Indie by a massive margin. Brutal and stark, but have been hooked from the first issue.

Things I've been rating over the last few years.

- Multiple Warheads; A small 4 issue series came out a couple of years ago and the re-release of the original series happened recently. Love his stuff, reminds me a lot of an up and coming artist Will Kirby…
- Tuk Tuk; From an up and coming artist Will Kirby, really nice art style and interesting storytelling. Looking forward to seeing what else he comes out with.

- Deadpool Collection; Reading through all the back issues, very much liking this.

- Superior Spiderman; Really enjoyed the reboot, not so happy now they have re-rebooted Amazing Spiderman.

Edited by FuncRandm

Anyone read LINT by Chris Ware?

That was heavy as fack, but it makes me want to go out & live life more fully while I've still got it

particularly unsettling was the appearance of the black face representing death the first time he smokes weed, which becomes a recurring motif & ultimately engulfs the story

fack i need to go sit down somewhere

Reading the following series at the moment:

- Black Science; My favourite series of the last few years. Really well put together, love the characters and the very basic Time Tunnel style plot.

- The Manhattan Projects; Utterly psychotic, but liking the storyline as it grows.

- B.P.R.D; I love Hellboy, and the End Times kickoff they are continuing in the series is very readable.

- East of West; 4 horsemen of the apocalypse appear, one of them wants out. Really amazing series, up to issue 14/15 at the moment.

- Abe Sapien; Continuation of the End Times story lines. Just had to read this.

- Anderson Psi-Division; Just started over the last few weeks. Digging the first issue.

- Walking Dead; You should just read this if you aren't already. The single best selling Indie by a massive margin. Brutal and stark, but have been hooked from the first issue.

Things I've been rating over the last few years.

- Multiple Warheads; A small 4 issue series came out a couple of years ago and the re-release of the original series happened recently. Love his stuff, reminds me a lot of an up and coming artist Will Kirby…

- Tuk Tuk; From an up and coming artist Will Kirby, really nice art style and interesting storytelling. Looking forward to seeing what else he comes out with.

- Deadpool Collection; Reading through all the back issues, very much liking this.

- Superior Spiderman; Really enjoyed the reboot, not so happy now they have re-rebooted Amazing Spiderman.

If you like Robert Kirman, you should check out Invincible. I stopped reading the Walking Dead around 106, but Invincible is still fresh to me.