IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bitroast

just finished Theo Ellsworth's Capacity.

and it is lovely and incredible and the artwork is all round amazing. I've read other psychedelic things with incredible artwork, but I think the writing to this book is particularly lovely and resonant and holds the book together exceptionally well. This book is second printing and now out of print so it's possible to grab it online if you look around but it may disappear soon or it may be reprinted and be easier to find soon i'm not sure but i'd recommend it 100% either way if it seems to be the kind of thing that might interest you :)

capacitycover.jpgcap284.jpg

flickr with more examples of artwork - https://www.flickr.com/photos/theoellsworth

Massive comic/book head here, really like horror & sci-fi

The last things I read & liked were:

Saga

king city

Multiple warheads

Prophet

Eden: it's an endless world!

Blame!

Ghost in the shell Arise

Off the top of my head these lot stand out.. I loved the surrealness of blame! & prophet.. totally cool.

Eden has got awesome action

King city & multiple warheads,loved the style

and saga because it was new, and cool.. and yeah I've been keeping up on it

This thread has just made me realise I've never read akira. Or finished nausicaa!

Now I know what I'm reading next

Edited by lala

Any good recommendations for sci-fi ?

Aside from Prophet, my current favorite SF comics are Zero and Black Science. Incal is also great, it's a major influence on Prophet.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Little Lord Faulteroy

Whoa! That looks amazon.

It's amazon indeed. It's about an art teacher, a painter in his spare time, who is invited to lead a small art exhibition in a small, unnoticeable town called Beerpoele. At first Pieter-Jan (the art teacher) has mixed feelings about the art exhibition. He looks down on the other participants. During the book, you never know if Pieter-Jan is completely honest. Eventually they decide to make an enormous garden gnome (pictured on the front page). It's a very interesting book, really worth checking out.

And a few weeks back, i discovered another comic book artist, Simon Hanselmann. i

Nevermind this post. I accidentally posted the same thing twice.

Edited by Little Lord Faulteroy

Akira is a good read. There's the epic edition, which has colours, and the normal edition, which is in black and white. i have the latter and it's epic. i can't imagine how epic the epic edition is.

lots of epics

Just finished Thor: Godbomb.

2nd volume in the new Thor graphic novel series. The storyline by Jason Aaron is paced well and the artwork is unreal, Esad Ribic really encapsulates how Thor is pictured for me. I'm baffled why he's not involved in the third instalment of the series.

Any Crossed fans here? I read the first few of the free web comics and its quite fuxked up. Is it basically the walking dead except the zombies rape you before killing you or am I missing some deeper dialogue

Finally received my Sullivan's Sluggers Gn after a literal 2 and a bit year wait. Was it worth it? Hmm...it's an entertaining read but shit, not sure if it was worth that much time. Luckily, I'm patient, so it's no biggie. Unlike the hardcover book itself, which is fucking huge! Worth it for James Stokoe art. Get his Orc Stain & Wonton Soup comics if you haven't already: Wonton Soup 2 might be one of my fave books ever, just in terms of fun story and an artist having a great time making stories.

As for recently, reading What Did You Eat Yesterday 1 & 2 by Fumi Yoshinaga, published in English by Vertical, about two gay men and the meals they eat and the slice of life tales that occur in their lives, some dramatic, some comical. Fun stuff, if bad to read if you're feeling hungry.

I'm reading 20th Century Boys all the way through. I don't know if binge reading a 260+ chapters, 24 volumes manga that was published over the course of 6 years in a couple months is a good idea though. It's starting to drag on a bit, too; the pacing's just too slow sometimes and the build-ups take forever. It's a pretty entertaining, mindless read though. It does not make you think; it kind of holds your hand so you don't have to think too much.

Edited by ThatSpanishGuy

• 3 weeks later...

Sandman Overture #3 out now

New Avengers Annual #1 - a trippy & beautifully illustrated Doctor Strange story

Nightbreed #3 - continuing the new run of Clive Barker's underrated monster fable.

also a new 5lb Doom Patrol Omnibus clocking in at $150

Edited by Rubin Farr

After the delay between issues 1 & 2, I've been trade waiting Sandman Overture.

Anybody read Zero #9? That may be my favorite single issue of 2014 so far.

Supreme: Blue Rose #1 was also awesome. Tula Lotay is a beast artist.

Edited by doublename

Collection comic books I'm reading/planning to read:

- Saga:

515jeiadAzL.jpg

- Locke & Key:

51veWQRX2wL.jpg

- Hellboy

51ybUVg56mL.jpg

- Sin City

51AvMFHD2dL.jpg

- Star Wars Clone Wars

41Qlbtu8jfL.jpg

If anyone has recommendations, based upon the series mentioned above, I'd gladly hear them.

(no superhero stuff)

Edited by MaartenVC

Collection comic books I'm reading/planning to read:

- Saga:

515jeiadAzL.jpg

- Locke & Key:

51veWQRX2wL.jpg

- Hellboy

51ybUVg56mL.jpg

- Sin City

51AvMFHD2dL.jpg

- Star Wars Clone Wars

41Qlbtu8jfL.jpg

If anyone has recommendations, based upon the series mentioned above, I'd gladly hear them.

(no superhero stuff)

I have the same four Hellboy-pockets, I really like Mike Mignola's style. I could recommend The Amazing Screw-On Head, it's a book that collect a range of non-Hellboy short stories.

It's a pretty, little book, with some strange, somewhat poetic stories. it includes the Eisner Award winning The Magician And The Snake, Mignola's own version of Jack And The Beanstalk and more... :smile: