IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

Guest Little Lord Faulteroy

I'm about two-thirds through Craig Thompson's Habibi. It's fuckinglush:

AZkwmHY.png

uureKV9.jpg?1

Also just started reading Lucifer. Mike Carey is the best writer in mainstream comics.

i've read it a while ago, one of the best comics i've read in 2011.

which one do you prefer? blankets or Habibi?

Also just started reading Lucifer. Mike Carey is the best writer in mainstream comics.

this is the first book of his I've read. Is his earlier work supposed to be this good?

what's Habibi about?

Copied from the Website, because lazy:

Sprawling across an epic landscape of deserts, harems, and modern industrial clutter, HABIBI tells the tale of Dodola and Zam, refugee child slaves bound to each other by chance, by circumstance, and by the love that grows between them.

At once contemporary and timeless, HABIBI gives us a love story of astounding resonance: a parable about our relationship to the natural world, the cultural divide between the first and third worlds, the common heritage of Christianity and Islam, and, most potently, the magic of storytelling.

Guest Little Lord Faulteroy

this is the first book of his I've read. Is his earlier work supposed to be this good?

From what i remember, Blankets is about him growing up in a very religious family, really autobiographic. I think i prefer Habibi, but it quite a while ago since i've read the two.

they have just started to finally re-print the only Alan Moore comic series that was never properly reprinted or given a currently in print graphic novel treatment

detail.jpg

i think only issue #1 and 2 are out already, highly recommended for fans of Watchmen or Swamp thing

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a lovely hardback copy of Habibi in Kinokuniya the other day. nearly bought it based on the positive opinions of it here but I realised I should be saving more money. it's on my list though.

I loved the style though! it's very Qur'anic.

they have just started to finally re-print the only Alan Moore comic series that was never properly reprinted or given a currently in print graphic novel treatment

i think only issue #1 and 2 are out already, highly recommended for fans of Watchmen or Swamp thing

I'm holding out for a collected edition of this, but it looks and sounds awesome.

Currently reading Swamp Thing and Promethea in trade right now -- great stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Comixology is shit, it doesn't work half the time, they just had a password breach, and the Marvel app is way better for marvel comics. We just need a better way to read other publishers digitally.

Comixology is shit, it doesn't work half the time, they just had a password breach, and the Marvel app is way better for marvel comics. We just need a better way to read other publishers digitally.

With Image selling their books DRM free, I really just need Dark Horse to sort themselves out. The DH app is an abomination, even compared to Comixology.

Sandman Overture #2 released today.

bout time

also regards miracleman, i read somewhere that they've actually got neil gaiman roped in to finally finish the thing. is this truth?

if it is that's very exciting. I mean in my mind Gaiman's portion of the story was sort of after it 'ended' anyways. His take on it was the aftermath of all the main events that took place in Moore's run and how regular people exist in the universe, more personal stories. I don't remember him ever developing a new story arc though that seemed to be going anywhere, all the issues he did were more one off isolated stories before they cancelled the series

I picked up the first two volumes of Superior Spider Man and I'm quite impressed by the storyline so far, I think they've already concluded the mini-series this week! It begins on a massive flip that creates a whole new story under Spider Man's alias. You don't really have to know an awful lot before diving in except the big news which is explained during the intro.

I also went on a Thanos binge and bought some early material by Jim Starlin which is awesome. Trying to link it to some of the newer comics that feature Thanos in all his tyrannical glory.

so Comixology is dead, replaced by the Comics app now on ios, or you can keep the lame read only ver until they decide to stop suporting it. Either way back up your purchases now.

^ incomparably better than the movie. the movie is best appreciated - if you want to appreciate it at all - as a completely separate entity.