IGNORED

New Album called "Ufabulum"

Guest teetime

I think it sounds somewhat similar to more popular electronica such as Daft Punk and Justice. I don't see that as a problem. Squarepusher's always been more accessible than other IDM artists. (Pretty sure I said that in almost exactly the same words 20 or so pages ago.)

it's not daft punk's fault he wanted to wear a mask.

lol

So does anyone agree with me that Ufabulum is a terrible name for an album?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my friend who hasn't been following squarepusher for about 6 years saw him at the creative project thing in SF. His only comment to me was 'why does squarepusher sound like daft punk now? i dont like daft punk very much and it wasnt just the music it was the visuals were copying daft punk'

i feel for him, i really do, especially being kind of a daft punk anti-fan

its totally obvious but thats much better than wearing this pink shirt like he did before

terrible name for an album, not sure what he was thinking.

like scintilli, geogaddi or iradelphic its only important to have a unique name so it can easily be seperated from the rest

Well I don't really like the vinyl's packaging. Those glow-in-the-dark things need to be constantly exposed to light in order to glow in the dark, and a records are generally well kept in the dark, sides facing other albums, walls, etc., if you know what I mean. Also it's a bit silly imo

It's a creative gimmick, ffs - don't overthink this like the design will lessen your enjoyment of the music.

Of course not, but if the album was packed in a simple sleeve instead of that box it would be considerably cheaper. Not that I dislike sturdy boxes a la Oversteps, but this one I don't feel is worth spending my money. The music will still be the same, but considering buying the album means paying for design and packaging, I thought I could aswell express my opinion on that matter

I'm not pointing this out to argue - but for further anecdotal evidence, a number of people I played the last one to immediately mentioned Daft Punk, without me mentioning them or anything. I've always found WATMM's strong reaction against that comparison interesting, because to those on the 'outside' the link is obvious, both musically and visually. It put those people off a little.

I'm probably too close to both artists to fairly comment on the similarities or lack of them for the last record. It doesn't matter anyway.

terrible name for an album, not sure what he was thinking.

like scintilli, geogaddi or iradelphic its only important to have a unique name so it can easily be seperated from the rest

thats true...

Well I don't really like the vinyl's packaging. Those glow-in-the-dark things need to be constantly exposed to light in order to glow in the dark, and a records are generally well kept in the dark, sides facing other albums, walls, etc., if you know what I mean. Also it's a bit silly imo

It's a creative gimmick, ffs - don't overthink this like the design will lessen your enjoyment of the music.

Of course not, but if the album was packed in a simple sleeve instead of that box it would be considerably cheaper. Not that I dislike sturdy boxes a la Oversteps, but this one I don't feel is worth spending my money. The music will still be the same, but considering buying the album means paying for design and packaging, I thought I could aswell express my opinion on that matter

Well of course you can express your opinions, just like I can give you my opinion you're over thinking this - the reality is in this day and age, just releasing something on vinyl is not enough - there has to be a gimmick, whether it be awesome packaging or a "deluxe edition" in order to get the fans excited to spend a premium on a release they could realistically have for next to nothing via digital downloads, or free via piracy or YouTube.

I'll grant you it's not the most creative design ever, but it's still (I think) a neat concept, and mirrors the visuals Tom is using for his latest projects.

I wonder if there's any instructions online for making an LED mask with programmable patterns...

I'm not pointing this out to argue - but for further anecdotal evidence, a number of people I played the last one to immediately mentioned Daft Punk, without me mentioning them or anything. I've always found WATMM's strong reaction against that comparison interesting, because to those on the 'outside' the link is obvious, both musically and visually. It put those people off a little.

I'm probably too close to both artists to fairly comment on the similarities or lack of them for the last record. It doesn't matter anyway.

i'm still kind of confused as to the daft punk comparisons for this new material. for the shobaleader stuff, i can see it a little more, but it's still sort of strange. especially for the newer material, i can't see a strong comparison musically unless you somehow see him wearing the mask first/simultaneously and carry that association along with the listening.

i'm still kind of confused as to the daft punk comparisons for this new material. for the shobaleader stuff, i can see it a little more, but it's still sort of strange. especially for the newer material, i can't see a strong comparison musically unless you somehow see him wearing the mask first/simultaneously and carry that association along with the listening.

dark steering has tron samples and daft punk did the soundtrack

that's kind of a connection?

tron samples, really? haven't seen it so i'd have been none the wiser. regardless, my opinion remains unchanged.

tron samples, really? haven't seen it so i'd have been none the wiser. regardless, my opinion remains unchanged.

No worries, I agree. I think the similarity ends there.

forgive me if this is already asked and answered, but, is this 2 CD edition only via bleep?

if not, and the price elsewhere comes along and it's cheaper there, can i cancel at bleep and send them an email telling them to sort themselves out? i've paid for preorder with a credit card.

forgive me if this is already asked and answered, but, is this 2 CD edition only via bleep?

if not, and the price elsewhere comes along and it's cheaper there, can i cancel at bleep and send them an email telling them to sort themselves out? i've paid for preorder with a credit card.

So far I've only found it at bleep. I'll look again though. 16.99 for the limited edition is a fair price I think.

So far I've only found it at bleep. I'll look again though. 16.99 for the limited edition is a fair price I think.

£10.99

it's expensive for a CD nowadays.

the only reason i'm putting money down on it, as someone who's like squarepusher since FMWT is because he says it's going to be purely electronic. i've never had a problem with the bass, just never liked the dominance of the jazz. only decent album of his since 2000 has been 'go plastic' and i feel like i've given him far far faaaar to many chances over the years to make it all work.

£10.99

it's expensive for a CD nowadays.

the only reason i'm putting money down on it, as someone who's like squarepusher since FMWT is because he says it's going to be purely electronic. i've never had a problem with the bass, just never liked the dominance of the jazz. only decent album of his since 2000 has been 'go plastic' and i feel like i've given him far far faaaar to many chances over the years to make it all work.

It is fully electronic, for sure. :happy:

as someone who's like squarepusher since FMWT is because he says it's going to be purely electronic. i've never had a problem with the bass, just never liked the dominance of the jazz.

Hard Normal Daddy - his first signing under Warp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPY2nYHtX5Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om1aVKkm3Rg

The man's been 'Jazzy' for a long time ...

Guest CraniumXII

His fusions of Jazz elements with W/E other style is what make him unique. You can hear little jazz bits in the bass on "Energy Wizard"... I'm a sucker for it.

as someone who's like squarepusher since FMWT is because he says it's going to be purely electronic. i've never had a problem with the bass, just never liked the dominance of the jazz.

The man's been 'Jazzy' for a long time ...

yes. i know. obviously. i've bought every release since alroy road as it appeared. just a musician making electronica with a jazz tinge at one time. then the melodies, synths, sequencers all took a back seat to stuff that emulated a jazz band. never liked it. it's like he didn't trust the skill or interest in one side of his music and tried to find a way to gradually escape it, with only slight returns every now and again over the years. can't really debate the pros and cons of each release, but i'd say each album apart from a couple has only had one or two tracks that reminded me of the feel that came across in that early material.

Archived