IGNORED

Squarepusher - Ufabulum

Redruth

Guest teetime

his new stuff sounds excellent. i like the dark moody vibe. the head gear im not sure about. but i get the point. laptop djs are boring to watch. i agree tom

laptop DJs are boring to watch, but tom on go plastic tour was fucking awesome because he had a big IDM beard and went fucking spastic

He also did some realtime dsp granular synthesis timestrech stuff back then. The Ufabulum set seems to be prerecorded though. With no interaction what so ever. But remeber he is basically blind with that mask.

This time its all about the album experience. It is like watching a movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUKdQn2U084

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

his new stuff sounds excellent. i like the dark moody vibe. the head gear im not sure about. but i get the point. laptop djs are boring to watch. i agree tom

laptop DJs are boring to watch, but tom on go plastic tour was fucking awesome because he had a big IDM beard and went fucking spastic

:cisfor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcNFIQgZCtk

Guest viscosity

so wait. does the head gear provide him any visual information, or can he look down with it? or is it a blindfold? is it just for show? what's it all about

Really, these comparisons with him and daft punk are fucking ridiculous.

I hope everyone realizes head gear has been used for thousands of years.

Oh shit, he's ripping off the vikings since he's wearing a helmet!

Oh shit, he's ripping off Nick Holonyak since there are LEDs.

Oh shit, he MUST be ripping off daft punk since him and them have had a similar idea.

Oh wait, Squarepusher designed the visual patches and hardware himself. Oh wait, people have similar ideas all the time.

:cerious: :cerious: :cerious: :cerious:

Really, these comparisons with him and daft punk are fucking ridiculous.

I hope everyone realizes head gear has been used for thousands of years.

Oh shit, he's ripping off the vikings since he's wearing a helmet!

Oh shit, he's ripping off Nick Holonyak since there are LEDs.

Oh shit, he MUST be ripping off daft punk since him and them have had a similar idea.

Oh wait, Squarepusher designed the visual patches and hardware himself. Oh wait, people have similar ideas all the time.

:cerious: :cerious: :cerious: :cerious:

photo-11039.gif

i stand by my statement even though it's pretty fucking stupid. it meant to say that (at least with Energy Steering, so who's to say I guess) it's not exactly a new thing, he's doing his thing rather than being crazy brand new, even if his thing is very well produced. we know what drill'n'bassy stuff sounds like now. I would call this not being at the forefront.

i stand by my statement even though it's pretty fucking stupid. it meant to say that (at least with Energy Steering, so who's to say I guess) it's not exactly a new thing, he's doing his thing rather than being crazy brand new, even if his thing is very well produced. we know what drill'n'bassy stuff sounds like now. I would call this not being at the forefront.

I think it's our definition of forefront that is different.

I know what you mean, he's not breaking any new ground so he's not at the forefront.

For me, an artist doesn't have to be doing something completely new and unheard of to be at the forefront. For me, it's enough that squarepusher does his thing, which noone else can do, and when people make a poor attempt at replicating his work it shows. Like... even though it still sounds like squarepusher, noone else has really made that sound and it's still beyond pretty much all artists ability out there with the exception of afx, autechre, snares etc.

Like... by the logic from your post we would say aphex twin, snares, autechre, BoC, etc etc are not at the forefront because they aren't producing a new sound... I don't think difference for the sake of difference constitutes "forefront".

I hope this is making sense but I'm wording it funny, I know.

Okay wtf is this seagull situation?

Everywhere I go today I got seagulls winking at me. Its fucking disturbing me!!

they're giving you the sexy eyes m8. This could be your chance to go all the way.... with birds.

:cerious: :cerious:

To be at the forefront of music is to say that you're leading some sort of musical movement. You know, something going forward. Aphex may or may not have been at the forefront of anything, depending on how much impact you personally believe he had on music and how many people consecutively were influenced by or tried to imitate his style. For instance, early hip-hop groups such as Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambaataa, and what have you were at the forefront of a musical movement. Boards of Canada? They're certainly unique and fantastic, but they never really led or inspired a movement really.

To be at the forefront of music is to say that you're leading some sort of musical movement. You know, something going forward. Aphex may or may not have been at the forefront of anything, depending on how much impact you personally believe he had on music and how many people consecutively were influenced by or tried to imitate his style. For instance, early hip-hop groups such as Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambaataa, and what have you were at the forefront of a musical movement. Boards of Canada? They're certainly unique and fantastic, but they never really led or inspired a movement really.

I'm pretty sure there are hundreds of albums influenced by BoC's sound.

And even by your definition I'd say squarepusher is still at the forefront =/

so many imitators.

Guest rotchnock

also he will be ripping Steinvord in the new album

actually now that you mention it I see a resemblance after having heared to the full live recording of his shows. After having heard all those tracks I see a pattern: his newer stuff is back at being purely electronic but the way the tracks are built up aren't as "jazz" or "jungle" sounding, they have this more straight drum and bassrhythm, and on top of this constant rhythm it starts to evolve into real idm fuckery (dark steering compared with cyg x-1)

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

The Ufabulum set seems to be prerecorded though. With no interaction what so ever. But remeber he is basically blind with that mask.

so wait. does the head gear provide him any visual information, or can he look down with it? or is it a blindfold? is it just for show? what's it all about

i think he can see downwards but not the crowd. but yeah he doesn't seem to be doing much there except airdrumming and encouraging the crowd to cheer

Archived