IGNORED

Do you eat a lot of meat ?

Lucas

Urine ketones are often too transient for testing them to be useful anyway. Better just to not even bother. If you're restricting carbohydrates heavily why even worry about it. Your body will utilize fatty acids to maintain energy metabolism regardless of what you do if carb intake is low.

I mention it because a lot of people doing keto drive themselves insane trying to "stay in ketosis" testing their pee constantly. No one seems to have told them that you can piss clean

High protein intake will pull you out of ketosis also.

No problem. Most notable thing to me is that ketones are showing to possibly be more efficient energy than glucose. So, the people who like to argue that carbs are good cause glucose is the most direct form of energy can shove it. :)

I just think of it as a "steady drip" as opposed to the glucose rollercoaster. I think I got this idea from Peter Attia. I remember getting those blood sugar drops, feeling crappy and craving sweet stuff. Now I can just fast until evening if I want and sometimes I don't even think about food.

Also I've noticed my pee reeks of ketones lately so I don't even feel the need to test, lol.

I've never even noticed my urine smell changing, but in my opinion urine smell is influenced by too many factors for me to rely on it.

im in keto too. was 12 stone, now 11 1/4.

i could give up meat pretty easy, in fact im looking to buy loads of tofu (fried, yeah!) and chicken quorn bits. i can then just buy loads of curry sauce from the takeaway and have quorn curry with those weird 0% carb rice and noodles etc.

i am missing good rice though. and dread the thought of having to limit it. i love rice all day long time

fish i might have a problem giving up entirely. Even thinking of sushi is making me hungry. heck i cant even seem to give up my own bad habits, like drinking and smoking. sashimi is just amazingbells

hate the cruelty part of it though

nice one on the cutting the strips bit, didnt think of that.

It's not like you have to give up those things entirely. You can should do carb refeeding every 7-12 days.

Personally, when I do high fat my cravings for sugar go to almost zero.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im in keto too. was 12 stone, now 11 1/4.

i could give up meat pretty easy, in fact im looking to buy loads of tofu (fried, yeah!) and chicken quorn bits. i can then just buy loads of curry sauce from the takeaway and have quorn curry with those weird 0% carb rice and noodles etc.

i am missing good rice though. and dread the thought of having to limit it. i love rice all day long time

fish i might have a problem giving up entirely. Even thinking of sushi is making me hungry. heck i cant even seem to give up my own bad habits, like drinking and smoking. sashimi is just amazingbells

hate the cruelty part of it though

nice one on the cutting the strips bit, didnt think of that.

Personally, when I do high fat my cravings for sugar go to almost zero.

I find for the first 3 or 4 days of low carb/sugar I crave the carbs and feel like I'm in withdrawal. I have trouble focusing and feel extremely hungry all the time.

Then after that I feel awesome!

I used to work in high end kitchens for the better of a decade and it really isn't an option to be a vegan or vegetarian in real high-end restaurants when over half the menu is meats. I eat less meat than when I was in kitchens, but I still enjoy it and cook meat or eat meat for about 2/3 of my meals.

I grew up around livestock, a dairy down the way, and a Dad who can barbecue pretty much anything, so while I do have a great disdain for the meat industry, I know that locally raised meat/livestock is not something to be ashamed of, in fact it all contributes to the same circle of sustainability in a well maintained farm.

I do however find it ironic that the people I know who have the most piss-poor diets, drink like a fish, consume cigarets and caffeine, and lack of knowledge about how even their tomato grows or where their quinoa comes from are 'vegans/vegetarian/pescatarian/whirling dervish' camp -- and rather militant about it. Not to say you lovely vegans/veggieheads here are like that, just in my personal experience that's how it seems to go.

personally, when I do high fat my cravings for sugar go to almost zero.

I find for the first 3 or 4 days of low carb/sugar I crave the carbs and feel like I'm in withdrawal. I have trouble focusing and feel extremely hungry all the time.

yeah, if I fall off for like a week or two and then go back, the first weeks painful. serious detox.

I do however find it ironic that the people I know who have the most piss-poor diets, drink like a fish, consume cigarets and caffeine, and lack of knowledge about how even their tomato grows or where their quinoa comes from are 'vegans/vegetarian/pescatarian/whirling dervish' camp -- and rather militant about it. Not to say you lovely vegans/veggieheads here are like that, just in my personal experience that's how it seems to go.

i am like that although i don't drink anymore, i don't smoke anymore and i'm not militant at all, but my diet is pretty poor (also 90% of it is tea, so yeah, caffeine) and i don't know anything about where my food comes from

personally, when I do high fat my cravings for sugar go to almost zero.

yeah, if I fall off for like a week or two and then go back, the first weeks painful. serious detox.

i get the flu thing for a day. serious aching limbs, makes getting out of bed difficult. i dont crave sugar, just rice really

• 1 year later...

hi my name is eugene and i went vegan a week ago. it's surprisingly easy to go vegan, plan your diet and find the right subsitutues on your lonesome (still dunno if i'm getting all the right vitamins and shit, but i'm feeling totally fine so far #noissues). i could literally live on just falafels, beans and hummums and a few types of nuts and seeds and fruit till i'm dead. but it's quite difficult in social settings as everyone now sees you as a faggot and the places you used to like have very limited options and you have to be all faggy when it comes to coming to your bros' places when it comes to food.

also, is there a deece app that will monitor your nutrition including vitamins and other stuff? i haven't really found anything appropriate for some reason.

sup vegans.

been vegetarian for 11 years  :beer:

not been a self righteous dick about it for 9

it's really too early for me too shame vegetarians, but wth..so what's the point of your vegetarianism if you're doing it for ethical reasons? egg and milk industry are just as awful...

Once the vegans get their cheese sorted I'll be joining the camp, almond milk is banging on your cereal and I wouldn't mind using some other substitute for tea (recommendations?) but cheese, fucking love the stuff. 

Eat have amount of meat you would normally do and pay double for it so it comes from animals that didn't live in concentration camps, that's what I always say to myself (but doesn't help yet)

I'd like to do this, just haven't been in a good place financially/etc. to do so. I have tried to cut back on quantities of meat, at least.

I dont eat meat for 2-3 years now, I eat eggs (the aggs I eat are from a farm where the hens are treated good, they go outside, are not stuck in cages, ect they cost twice the price though) and dairy products though so im actually lacto-ovo vegetarian

been vegetarian for 11 years  :beer:

not been a self righteous dick about it for 9

it's really too early for me too shame vegetarians, but wth..so what's the point of your vegetarianism if you're doing it for ethical reasons? egg and milk industry are just as awful...

yes, egg and milk industry are just as awful. but its still ethically better to stop eating meat then keep on eating meat even if you were to still eat aggs and milk.

I think if a individual stop eating meat, every year he saves 12 animals.

I eat of the flesh and it soothes me. Blood! Havoc! Put it in me

Are you concerned about the mass suffering of sentient beings upstream of your eating habits?

Or do you just avoid thinking about the moral impact of your actions?

I eat a mostly vegetarian diet, but sometimes I devour the flesh of dead mammals, crustaceans, molluscs and fish.

And birds.

Are you concerned about the mass suffering of sentient beings upstream of your eating habits?

Could you not tell from my hyperbolic tone that I blissfuly thrive on the misery of others?

Could you not tell from my hyperbolic tone that I blissfuly thrive on the misery of others?

I have autism, so you'll have to spell it out for me

Do you not eat meat? Was that the joke?

Been vegan for two weeks. I have never been more miserable in my life. Someone told me there is a cheese like substance called nutritional yeast that I can sprinkle on food. I tried it. It tastes like crushed vitamins. I don't think I'll make it to Friday.

Been vegan for two weeks. I have never been more miserable in my life. Someone told me there is a cheese like substance called nutritional yeast that I can sprinkle on food. I tried it. It tastes like crushed vitamins. I don't think I'll make it to Friday.

It's pretty brutal at first...you gotta build up a repertoire of meals that don't taste like shit...having lots of nuts and berries around to munch on is a big help

Anyway, good luck

(And holla if you need some meal ideas)

Had you been vegetarian before, or straight from meat to vegan?

Most of my diet was veggies with a decent amount of fish and occasional red meat. Was vegetarian through high school, years ago. My diet has gone off the rails in the last couple years, eating out all the time and lots of meat. Never realized how much I need dairy.

hi my name is eugene and i went vegan a week ago. it's surprisingly easy to go vegan, plan your diet and find the right subsitutues on your lonesome (still dunno if i'm getting all the right vitamins and shit, but i'm feeling totally fine so far #noissues). i could literally live on just falafels, beans and hummums and a few types of nuts and seeds and fruit till i'm dead. but it's quite difficult in social settings as everyone now sees you as a faggot and the places you used to like have very limited options and you have to be all faggy when it comes to coming to your bros' places when it comes to food.

also, is there a deece app that will monitor your nutrition including vitamins and other stuff? i haven't really found anything appropriate for some reason.

sup vegans.

All you need in terms of supplements are B12 and some algae-based EPA/DHA. And like everyone regardless of what they eat you should consider vitamin D unless you spend a lot of time naked in the sun.

Other than that don't worry too much about nutrition. Make starchy foods your staples (whole grains, legumes, potatoes, quinoa...) and eat a variety of other veggies and fruit and your diet is bound to be a lot more nutrient dense than most.

If you really need to measure you can try Cron-O-Meter, it's pretty US-centric but works fine if you eat mostly whole foods. Just don't expect to find a lot of pre-packaged processed items from your neck of the woods on there.

glhf

Archived