IGNORED

Who the hell masters Warps/ Squarepusher new album

amnesia

Whats the deal with the compression. Its the reason I dont enjoy Clark's releases and now its all over the new Squarepusher release.

If you are not sure what I am talking about whenever a percussive sound comes in it sucks the sound in.

Guest cult fiction

It would be extremely surprising if the mastering process were to introduce enough compression to cause audible sucking. More likely that it was mixed that way by Mr. Jenkinson.

Clark uses compression as a core component of his sound, so you can't use him as evidence that there is some naughty mastering engineer fucking up Warp releases in general.

In all seriousness, who typically does do mastering work for WARP? Is it left up to the discretion of the artist, or does WARP have a stock company they hire out to do mastering work?

Guest sirch

In all seriousness, who typically does do mastering work for WARP? Is it left up to the discretion of the artist, or does WARP have a stock company they hire out to do mastering work?

they used to use Frank Arkwright a lot, in the good old days. but nowadays, no idea! different people all the time i imagine, for each release and depending on the style of music.

i think it may be on a per artist basis, according to what i've seen for some albums on discogs. i noticed some of the later autechre stuff was by the same guy (noel summerville??), and clark used the same guy for a few of his albums (naween ahmed??).

Guest sirch

i think it may be on a per artist basis, according to what i've seen for some albums on discogs. i noticed some of the later autechre stuff was by the same guy (noel summerville??), and clark used the same guy for a few of his albums (naween ahmed??).

i think you mean NAWEED? he did Spokes as well. and Noel (@ Transformations?) i think did the Brothomstates album, too.

yeah, wasn't sure about the exact names, hence the question marks.

regardless, ufabulum seems to be somewhat of an improvement than his past few releases. the compression is a little strange at first, but it seems like that was purposefully crafted anyway.

I thought you were The Oracle joyrex ?

:biggrin:

richard d james

hey, RDJ's stuff is quality.

Everything before 1997 except HAB sounds horrible, sound quality-wise.

richard d james

hey, RDJ's stuff is quality.

Everything before 1997 except HAB sounds horrible, sound quality-wise.

burn-the-witch-burn-witch-kill-monty-python-demotivational.jpg

Guest teetime

Since Go Plastic Tom has been mastering all his releases by himself.

Starting with shobaleader one he started mixing his releases with a Euphonix CS3000.

He described one of his mixing methods on the track cryptic motion:

For the mix, the rack of Euphonix ES108A dynamics modules was set up such that each tape track was running through its own channel or combination of channels (each ES108A has eight channels.) Every signal from tape was also made available as a side-chain source for every other ES108A channel, such that any track could be used to modify the dynamics of another. In the final mix down, the 909 bass drum and snare subtly compress pretty much every instrument, although seperately and in differing amounts rather than just clamping down the whole mix. The bassline elements are used to compress each other. The third bassline element compresses the guitar part and also one of the TX81Z keyboard parts. And so on!

I think the "stark" compression in ufabulum is quiet a departure from his past material.

Althought, i am not a strong fan of it , i think it is done tastefully and never reaches the abysmal mp3/radio frequency cutting we hear in pop music today or clarks over saturated sound mixing. Imho.

Starting with shobaleader one he started mixing his releases with a Euphonix CS3000.

For the mix, the rack of Euphonix ES108A dynamics modules was set up such that each tape track was running through its own channel or combination of channels (each ES108A has eight channels.) Every signal from tape was also made available as a side-chain source for every other ES108A channel, such that any track could be used to modify the dynamics of another. In the final mix down, the 909 bass drum and snare subtly compress pretty much every instrument, although seperately and in differing amounts rather than just clamping down the whole mix. The bassline elements are used to compress each other. The third bassline element compresses the guitar part and also one of the TX81Z keyboard parts. And so on!

I think the "stark" compression in ufabulum is quiet a departure from his past material.

Althought, i am not a strong fan of it , i think it is done tastefully and never reaches the abysmal mp3/radio frequency cutting we hear in pop music today or clarks over saturated sound mixing. Imho.

compression? frequency cutting?

wat?

Guest teetime

wat?

http://en.wikipedia....nge_compression

Cd_loudness_trend-something.gif

wat?

that's amplitude.

also, brickwall compression is a completely different thing from sideband compression.

Guest teetime

wat?

that's amplitude.

also, brickwall compression is a completely different thing from sideband compression.

And by increasing the volume globally you will cut high and low frequency nuance and breaking the against the a wall of compression.

Yes of course. Never said otherwise.

In fact i stated that Toms mixing can be seen as a more tasteful balanced form of full blown compression aesthetics.

Archived