IGNORED

depression

anonymstol

Young bucks really owe it to themselves to at least make it to your mid to late 30s. Anecdotally, I've found it to be true but more importantly, there's good empirical evidence that most mental illnesses mellow out over time. It's tough to say whether that's a neurological thing or a strengthening of your coping skills (maybe one in the same) but either way, come enjoy the mastery over your inner life that can* come from middle age.

*fully concede that this might not happen for everybody. If you make it to the waystation of your 40s and this isn't true...well let's just say I'm a fierce advocate of personal choice in the realm of health. Everyone needs to be free to make their own decisions.

xxx you are a gentleman and a scholar.

^ psychiatrists diagnose and medicate, psychologists have more of an ongoing conversation with you to tease out problems and better resolve longstanding hardwired emotional issyues. the emphasis in Australia is much more on psychologists.

my aunt is a psychiatrist specialized on psychoanalysis based on C.G. Jung (super weird stuff btw) that means a lot of talking.  I visited here yesterday cause i had an emergency  anxiety problem and she asked me if i can recall something negative from before i was 1 year old and i was like what is this shit but  then she made a statement which felt like a sword being pushed threw me and i went total calm and that whole conversation took about 15 min. My current therapist cant do shit like that lol

Kattin did you ever went to a support group or group based session cause the group practice i´m visiting offers that and i´m not sure to go, any experience ?

Just realized I never responded to this. The group sessions I was privy to in the past were a part of that unethical setup I was in, so I'm not the best to comment on the worthiness of that type of setting... nevertheless, I know some people find it worthwhile to share experiences in a group and work through social issues they are experiencing in a safe setting. Some people definitely monopolize group time if it's not led by someone skilled in group dynamics. I think it really depends on the issues you are dealing with, the culture of the group, and what you hope to get out of that kind of situation?

I recently found a new therapist (one on one) and am very happy with her so far. The most important thing is to find someone you are ready to open up to about the ugly truths of yourself, and I'm relieved to have that setting to begin with. Of course, there is a lot of uncomfortable work that lies ahead, but I feel good about this partnership.  :boc:

• 1 month later...

i'm in the UK, and have had ongoing experiences with depression since the age of around 11, with some medical history connected to it going back several years before then. i will be 45 this year. i've fallen victim to the UK's system of trying to remove people from the benefit system that provides some financial support, and had my money stopped late february. it's a new challenge, somewhat, because i've to figure out how to put up with a limbo state that could last a year, before i can go to a tribunal and appeal.

as far as depression goes, i had self-diagnosed it for many years before reaching a breaking point and seeking medical advice. i've pushed hard to understand it, have managed it quite well at times and have a large amount of varying experience to draw from, but fear that the system that wants to assess me as having been (essentially) living a lie and therefore able to work, intentionally avoids judging with a medical sensibility - it can't allow itself the skill of gathering information that's inferring to a larger, bigger picture, because it insists on one meeting and skirts around the issues / responses selectively, for a prejudged end that frustrates with it's over-embellished and obfuscated simplistic judgements. that's the financial dictating the psychological, and that's dangerous.

had many therapists over the years, usually for short periods, and found them to be frustrating for the most part - they come and go, run out of ideas, give up, or are sometimes bizarrely abusive. doctors are a little better, but i have realised i don't know the details of the professional perspectives as well as i know it's essentially accepted i phase in and out of consciously dealing with the familiar aspects of the condition when experienced long-term, too much to be consistent or reliable, and definitely in trouble when activities or routines get quickly or gradually complicated / busy. i have an issue with concentration, loss of energy, trouble sleeping too little (and too much) as well as indifference and isolation, lack of motivation.

Edited by logboy

I struggled with severe OCD, anxiety and bipolar depression for 7+ years, coupled with lots of other physical symptoms that was leading me to an early grave. Was on a rotation of medications that had limited success. I think the first clue that got me thinking that it might have been diet was when I found that anti-histamines lifted my depression more than valporic acid did. I switched what I ate over to the keto diet. Just meat burgers, chicken, broccoli, spinach, asparagus and the occasional helping of blueberries and almonds. With the exception of having low energy for a day or two out of the week, I'm pretty much 90% better after 2 months and each week feels like an improvement. It's insane. If someone told me that changing my diet would have stopped my depression I would have written them off as a quack. I still have the OCD but it feels more "in check" than it previous was. I feel like I could probably cure everything if I went zero-carb but I read up on it and it sounds too insane, nutritionally.

Holy the fuck though the first week on the diet was fucked up. I felt like a junkie longing for a Snickers and KFC fix. I was sweating, throwing up, shitting myself, the works.

Pretty shit food. Lots of wheat products, sugar, startches. I'd have like sugary cereal or a croissant for breakfast, sandwich or something for lunch and pasta or roast with potatoes and carrots for dinner. Probably a few cookies and a chocolate bar in between.

Nah the fastfood cravings. Soon as I cut carbohydrates from my diet I got pretty ill. I couldn't stop thinking about going to Dairy Queen and getting one of their cakes with just the chocolate ice cream, fudge and cookie crumbles. The cravings subsided in week 2, as did my asthma, allergies, ibs, anxiety, depression, sweating (!!!), skin problems. I only had to use my ventolin once during the diet, and that was when I accidentally ate a chunk of bread and had an attack a day later. Before that it was almost daily.

I also lost about 30 lbs.

Edited by Entorwellian

i looked into the ketogenic diet, i think i could manage the food side of it, but does it not completely negate the scientific, fatty burning healthy aspect if you drink any alcohol atall?

Well done, how did you find the motivation stick to it? I could definitely do with eating better, but somehow that sentiment is never in my head when I'm actually buying food, or cooking it

My motivation was basically not dying and constantly suffering from gutrot and asphyxiation. I also didn't give up coffee or marijuana, so I had some coping mechanisms which admittedly probably were not the most helpful things for my health. However, adhering to the diet isn't too hard after you get past the "keto flu" stage. I stopped craving carbs and I don't want to eat them, and I only have two meals a day, but they are big (like 3 hamburger patties and two fistfuls of spinach, 4 eggs, cauliflour hash browns and bacon, etc..). Your mind adapts to the change. Plus the one time I cross-contaminated my diet and got sick again, and felt my mood and body change from just that hunk of bread, I knew I'd rather feel better than feel shitty for days on end for eating a haagen dazs ice cream bar. Once your body switches from using carbs as fuel to ketones, and you take away sugar, your sense of smell and taste changes and bland food starts to taste good again, and water much sweeter. 

The cooking part SUCKS because all of your time is spent cooking. However, time spent cooking is time not ruminating on things that make you feel bad too, and you become very good at cooking because you will want to find as much variety as possible from a limited subset of food.. If I don't feel like cooking I get a hot whole roasted chicken or frozen hamburger or turkey patties (check to make sure there is no wheat or sugar in 'em.) from the grocery store and have that over several days, then make soup with the bones afterwards. If I have too much soup I'll condense it down into a gelatin glob for portable soup.

You can drink some alcohols on it. Some beers and hard liquors have "low carbs", and I think some of the much harder liquors you can drink too. I don't drink anymore though, so I don't have first hand experience.

There is a site here explaining some of it: https://www.ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-and-alcohol/

edit: Oh and for fucks sake drink LOTS of water on it. You pee like a type 2 diabetic ready to go into a coma. I'd say 80% of the problems people have on the keto diet can be attributed to not enough water.

Edited by Entorwellian

i pretty much enjoy just eating an exotic assortment of roasted vegetables anyway, i might give it a go. all id be cutting out is my morning baguette sandwich. 

i pretty much enjoy just eating an exotic assortment of roasted vegetables anyway, i might give it a go. all id be cutting out is my morning baguette sandwich. 

Yeah occasionally I'll make almond flour bread if I really want toast or something for a sandwich. It's pretty good, if a bit cake-like in texture. I even found an oatmeal replacement that does the trick in fooling me. There are work arounds for pretty much anything you miss. Even sugarless chocolate chip cookies (amazing when they are pulled straight from the freezer.).

Also if you do the keto diet, report back to us how it goes :)

Edited by Entorwellian

done some reading and decided to go for it. il give it two months and then see how i feel. whats your thoughts on lifting weights in the first week or two?

done some reading and decided to go for it. il give it two months and then see how i feel. whats your thoughts on lifting weights in the first week or two?

Consume lots of fat if you do. The diet is an energy killer and there are days where I literally have to will my legs and arms to move. (sometimes just straight up MCT oil), you can make fat bombs out of coconut oil, butter, coca and coconut flakes, and nuts like almonds. Put butter or oil on everything. Eat avocados for the precious oils. Take multivitamins too for the loss in calcium and vitamin sources. The first week I would not exert yourself heavily at all and ffs drink water. Like 6 litres a day.

My personal favourite is CBD Coffee, which is lightly vaped weed soaked in MCT oil and converted into CBD cannaoil. I end up emulsifying the oil with either almond milk, heavy cream and coffee with a large electric mixer. It's like a lattee that gives you a 4 hour jolt, followed by a 4 hour body high... You can totally do that without the weed.

Edited by Entorwellian

• 9 months later...

Hi bro´s and bronette´s. Jus wait.. The cure for depreson is cumming. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12049024

Does semen have antidepressant properties?

yes

Attention, Ladies: Semen Is An Antidepressant

e:ahh fukk. i thought i posted in the Newer depression thread but this is old..sry bros
Edited by cheeseburgerwalrus

• 2 weeks later...

Listen to Music, draw, read (natural ways of generating and balancing levels of gabba, serotonin or dopamine), eat healthy, access to your inner strength by earnestness, do dumb random free stupid shit or sounds to waste stagnant energy, get rid of negative imagination, get rid of the sense of personal unfairness (wich is also a form of negatvie imagination), transmute self pity or regrets not by being indulgent in them but by being councious of them with respect, do a service for someone or something, give more and give in advance, what you give you are really giving it to yourself.

Edited by Milwaukeeeee

Esketamine finally FDA approved.

It's the intranasal version opposed to the IV. Monthly cost almost $7000 sans insurance.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/5/18252572/esketamine-fda-depression-fast-acting-treatment-health-science

Could buy a lot of actual ketamine for that price.

I wonder if the new drug has similar long term side effects?

The 15 minute mark or so has details about the urinary tract issues of long term abuse.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7gqyHuvHywU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the intranasal version opposed to the IV. Monthly cost almost $7000 sans insurance.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/5/18252572/esketamine-fda-depression-fast-acting-treatment-health-science

Trying to get my brother into Mayo trials for this.

dissociation was once a symptom but is now a cure - lush times indeed.

as a lit nerd, I used to think that Walt Whitman was the cure for depression, but then I discovered William Blake (sorry Walt!)

Trying to get my brother into Mayo trials for this.

i hope it works out!

between the K and the psilocybin trials it seems some potentially promising times for fast relief for people suffering from depression.  i hope it pans out.  the more options for things that grab on to those brain receptors and make good things happen the better. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi bro´s and bronette´s. Jus wait.. The cure for depreson is cumming. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12049024

Does semen have antidepressant properties?

yes

Attention, Ladies: Semen Is An Antidepressant

• Burger 1