IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

If I had the time (which I don't at the moment) I'd write up a review. Maybe later this coming week, though. At this point I'm moving past initial impressions and will need a few more listens to go deeper with it. Right now I can answer specific questions. I can also just leave it alone if it's bothering people. I understand that it might be ruining the discovery process for when you do hear it.

one more question! what kind of sound palette does this album have?

Oversteps had a lot of fm synth and physical modeling bell sounds with very clean crisp percussion, but very little overt 'Elektron' sound. I noticed you said it sounds like alot of Elektron stuff is being used here, but is it mixed cleanly more like Untilted with a lot of compression and not very much reverb or is it more like Quaristice where its used in a sort of grimey soggy way?

i sort of miss the more claustraphobic, compressed mostly reverb free mixing style of Untilted, Draft and Confield

Edited by Awepittance

Just wanted to chime in saying the lack of radio play has been interesting... Is there a Warp embargo or is January's simply too early to start playing tracks off an album that's over a month away? Still, almost February, then only 4 weeks.

I've been wondering about this and saying it out loud every 10 pages or so, since it sounds like PIxelives didn't get the one-sheet (correct me if im wrong) along with it I'm wondering if he knows if there was a specific request not to play tracks on the radio till a certain date. It is sort of odd how there aren't any reviews yet either

Edited by Awepittance

Guest pixelives
Besides the robotic scat singing previously alluded to, what if any kind of fucked up vocal bits are there without spoiling them too much?

Besides the robot scat one, there's the male choir one and I think one other vox sample used. if there are any others they've been manipulated beyond recognition. the male choir one is pretty as it sounds like it could be a weird rnb sample and the riff is pitched up and down the scale so it gets smeary and breakd up a bit when it down downwards. old school sampler style.

Guest pixelives
Just wanted to chime in saying the lack of radio play has been interesting... Is there a Warp embargo or is January's simply too early to start playing tracks off an album that's over a month away? Still, almost February, then only 4 weeks.

I've been wondering about this and saying it out loud every 10 pages or so, since it sounds like PIxelives didn't get the one-sheet (correct me if im wrong) along with it I'm wondering if he knows if there was a specific request not to play tracks on the radio till a certain date. It is sort of odd how there aren't any reviews yet either

didn't get any press release since it wasn't necessary for me and I have no idea if there is any embargo nor is it anything I'd need to know.. My guess is you'll start seeing things pop up this coming week or two since most digi promos went out mid/late this past week. that's just a guess on my part. it really hasn't been that long. for instance if somebody has a weekly radio show it might be coming up this week after they've gotten the promo. they might be telling people to hold off till a certain date, like first week of Feb or something, giving 4 weeks buffer..

Is FLeure a nice opener ? Fade in, or straight beat ?

FLeure doesn't pussyfoot around. it comes in meaning business. then gets dreamy in the second half.

Guest pixelives
as long as people don't start saying there are heaps of tracks that "sound like Steels from Quaristice" i'll be happy ...

never really a fan of that one. and no nothing like that. too meandering and never fully realizes itself.

Am

as long as people don't start saying there are heaps of tracks that "sound like Steels from Quaristice" i'll be happy ...

you don't like listening to a robot court hearing?

Am I really one of the only people here that loves Steels?? That's been one of my fav tracks off Quaristice since I first heard it. It's one of those tracks that almost 'defines' autechre for me. Do you guys hate Fol3 as well?

Am

Am I really one of the only people here that loves Steels?? That's been one of my fav tracks off Quaristice since I first heard it. It's one of those tracks that almost 'defines' autechre for me. Do you guys hate Fol3 as well?

I like steels. I've always thought of it as one of their most experimental pieces.

Guest disoriental express
then gets dreamy in the second half.

good.....very good.....

Methuselah-007.jpg

STEELS

Edited by disoriental express

It's total bullshit that 3 or 4 topics were cluster-fucked together to make this topic. The Autechre album art topic should've been standalone. Have any of the mods tried reading this 'topic' thread from page one? It makes no sense anymore.

Steels is brilliant. Don't talk to me about bnc castl though. IMO that is the dud of the album.

my LEAST favorite autechre track, by far... I hope there's no bnc castl on Exai... :sad:

Yep

It's total bullshit that 3 or 4 topics were cluster-fucked together to make this topic. The Autechre album art topic should've been standalone. Have any of the mods tried reading this 'topic' thread from page one? It makes no sense anymore.

this

Guest pixelives
Am

I like Fol3 better for the more obvious field recording element

Guest pixelives
bnc castl is great, what are you guys, dumb? Jesus.

love bouncy castle to be honest. drunken robo funk have taken the brown acid

Guest pixelives
Are the beats anything like Pen Expers or qplay or vproc, which I always thought were more hiphop sounding?

there's a lot of hip hop speed tracks on this one. more so than the last, somehow less "b bwoy" than Pen Ex. It's hard to compare it to anything on Draft because I always considered that production a bit thin in a way. Stuff is pretty big here.