IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

Untilted - Favorite album AND artwork... Ya'll are crazy! Exai is sounding quite delicious... I must resist listening to the samples too much or the first 30 secs of every song will forever sound 'different'

I really dig the cover for Untilted. As usual it seems to be quite representative of the music. Are the different blue figures the same thing but angled in different ways and at different distances (the upper ones tilted to appear as super acute near-lines)? The white and yellow "swishes" - totally vertical like the tunes, while the yellow one is sliced with the remaining spire of a single line continuing all the way to the upper edge. 3D and planar, solid and paper thin, ambiguous. Sleek, super glitchy, quite stylish. It would look cool as a portrait in my hallway.

</pretention>

Oh I agree that it's no doubt quite clever, but like the album itself I just don't get it and find it aesthetically hideous. MInd you, I'm probably biased as I had to return two copies of the bloody thing because the metallic inks were splurged and smudged all over the place.

samples sound intriguing. As someone else said above, "I'm worried about how much I like them" - they seem very accessible and up front. I do get the live tour material feel as well. What's up with the melodic one, sounds like a pisstake heh. Sound palette seems quite Gantz Graf/Untilted-y. Still pretty exaited.

Edited by lumpenprol

3849, on 30 Jan 2013 - 19:13, said:

Probably the most uncreative album art Ae has ever used...

Uncreative? Cause its a photo? To me it captures the ambient space techno jams perfectly. Alien but not completely abstract. A faded memory of another world.

Edited by compson

Uncreative? Cause its a photo? To me it captures the ambient space techno jams perfectly. Alien but not completely abstract. A faded memory of another world.

Yeah, despite Amber being spacey it somehow is very familiar and close. Early 90s vision of sci-fi - it looks plastic. But it's totally real and the Earth has already created it, which makes it real strange - such an alien thing right at home.

I'm not saying the covers are the most perfect they can be but Sean and Rob are very good at recognizing visuals that correspond to their atmosphere.

For shitty album art it's hard to beat the trifecta of quaristice oversteps and exai.

I can hear TDR crying out "but...but...we gave you individual per track black and white squares! We gave you paper stock! What more do you want from ussssssssssssss!"

Edited by lumpenprol

Quaristice's cover is funny. The typography is a hoot. I love that all the information is right on the front. I don't get very much blue from the music though.

On the other hand, I don't like Q as much as most of their stuff, haha. So far our opinions of the art has kind of correlated with musical preferences. Is it possible that the cover art has influence on what we hear? Or that what we hear in the music has changed our perception of the art? If there is any discord in the two is our reasoning of the art as a whole package placed in either direction?

I'm still impressed by the fact that we've collectively jizzed our drawers over 9 (out of 17), 30 second previews likely reencoded at like 32kbps or some bullshit.

What's this, like 6-7 times removed of from lossless quality at about 2% of the length of the album?

Fucking Autechre.