IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

yeah they really are, i used the opening to Incunabula as my alarm clock for over 5 years. I can't think of a single one i overtly dislike. The opening to Confield is probably the weakest one i can think of off hand.

Ehm, no. I fully agree with awe on this one. Vi has not much to do with the other tracks on that album, imo. I always thought it was there for contrast purposes. To me it sounds like a noodle of a track. Some experiment which got released by serendipity, instead of quality.

Edited by goDel

I'll pledge to the side of loving VI Scose Poise, its one of my favorite ae tracks and easily my favorite opener. As encey said, it acclimates me into the world of Confield, an essential beginning to that album

r ess is my #2 favorite tho..

I'm with encey, vi scose poise is fantastic, however, I seem to remember preferring the version that went with the flash "game" that came out before Confield (on the warp website iirc). It seemed to be subtly different, again iirc, they removed something that used to be there in the flash version. Some subtle touch. That, or they added something that didn't quite gel. Can't remember. Does anyone have that flash thing saved?

LCC really defines the album you are about to listen to. Another great opener and acclimatiser. If you love LCC, you love Untilted.

It's amazing that in all this talk, tracks like Foil, Cipater & Altibzz still havent been mentioned. Ae just nail it almost every time.

R ess was excellent but maybe not a good taste of the rest of the album - the r ess + Ilanders combo is something special in Oversteps imo.
FLeure is an excellent opener, especially for the end flowing so perfectly into irlite. Going to listen to Exai again, brb.

It is indeed. Too bad the rest of the album is a steaming pile.

(just kidding Rean and Sob, hugs!)

Banned.

Altibzz might be my favourite AE opener. I like that it's short and it's gorgeous. Also, fart.

As far as album openers go, I don't think FLeure is one of their best. It's great track mind you. T ess xi or maybe jatavee C would have been a better opener. I saw someone had made their own personalized playlist tracking for Exai, I think that's a good idea with this album, gonna have to try that.

But because Exai is so sprawling and constantly changing it's hard to pinpoint a specific track that lays down the mood for the album. In that sense I also think Exai feels more like an extended/double EP. At least when compared to most of their other albums. But maybe that concise album feel will come with time.

i really really enjoy Fleure as opener.

The fast synth and percussion stuff is an intricate nut to crack, i think one can listen to this very often until every nuance is completely "heard", remember when gl0tch was complaining that the beat sounds like .wma file compression? lol i mean, it's nothing like that once your ears adjust to it, really this is some of the most anal beat work the bros have done imho.

This is the only Ae that i can listen to it very loud. Did that 3 days ago and my ears are still bleeding...

Edited by xox

I have to say, the more time I spend with this album, the more it rewards me. I'm *really* into it. The physical artwork is also quite good--the digital images don't do justice to it. I've noticed that that's in keeping with previous albums--even the artwork for "Chiastic Slide" has some subtlety that doesn't show up on a digital scan.