IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

Guest the anonymous forumite

I'm a Deco Loc fan now

Me too. This track becomes hypnotyzing at some point.

Still, by its minimalism and hip-hop vibe, I think it would have made an excellent Gescom track. I'm not sure it has its place on Exai.

They're called:

Awesome track CD2 -1

Awesome track CD2 -2

Awesome track CD2 -3

Awesome track CD2 -4

You may have seen a pattern by now. Guess what the next tracks are called.

Guest Roksen Creek

Current loving first 4 tracks of CD2. Not learn't track names yet.

Yeah the first half of CD2 is just incredible. So much going on.

re: irlite in ylc.

we listen to autechre in the context of autechre-ness. if some noob in ylc posted something like deco loc it would be probably torn apart. but when autechre are doing something like that you know there's something deeper than amateurish wanking about with voc samples, they've proven themselves, even if this "deeper" is actual autechre wanking about with voc samples effortlessly (as opposed to super complicated and labored over stuff they're known for, they're allowed to wank about and it means something different). you just can't disconnect this autechre-ness from your listening experience. their music is still scrutinized, but very differently.

so i think it's not exactly the prestige of autechre that makes us forgiving it's just that we listen to it very differently than to any other music because we are familiar with their "world" and legacy.

re: irlite in ylc.

we listen to autechre in the context of autechre-ness. if some noob in ylc posted something like deco loc it would be probably torn apart. but when autechre are doing something like that you know there's something deeper than amateurish wanking about with voc samples, they've proven themselves, even if this "deeper" is actual autechre wanking about with voc samples effortlessly (as opposed to super complicated and labored over stuff they're known for, they're allowed to wank about and it means something different). you just can't disconnect this autechre-ness from your listening experience. their music is still scrutinized, but very differently.

so i think it's not exactly the prestige of autechre that makes us forgiving it's just that we listen to it very differently than to any other music because we are familiar with their "world" and legacy.

This is true. It has a good aspect, for sure; it's opened me up to loving and accepting other music in a similar way. You can have the same approach you have to Autechre to other, more unknown (or even unsigned) electronic composers and enjoy them much more. It's hard to do, of course, because you don't have that 'Autechre feeling' that's built up over years of following them, but if the music has enough detail and love put into it and grabs you enough, you can do it for sure.

after a few more listens i'm realizing how much the flanger effect plays a role. Seems to be one of the most prominent features of the whole work, crazy automated flangers of all different styles.

me too, there's a loooot of flange/phasing on this album. probably largely responsible for why the mix sounded so wide on some of these tracks on the first listen.. and why it jumped out at me on headphones so much. finally had a chance to listen on proper monitors, sounded fantastic on the event nearfields in my friends' studio. things really jump out.

Edited by TwiddleBot

T ess xi makes me think of this

Not mad. In any way. This rmx is beyond

question: Are "T ess xi" and "Ts1a" related? Names and chronology would suggest so...

Edited by fox

at first I thought it was just chaotic and claustrophobic. but it had some moments of awe, so I just gave it a second chance.

but then the awesomess moments were not where I remembered them (different speakers, different headphones) so I gave sme other chances.

today It struck me that these tracks are almost (surprise!) soothing and melanchonic, like they are treasuring very shy emotions.

soundwise, it's still alittle bit crammed, to my ears. I can definetly feel a difference if I listen to confield, which is my only other ae album that I like (probably I also like chiastic slide, but I dunno).

But confield is like it's about demons and anger, exai is more about forgiveness and contentedness.

But I may change opinion in time. dunno if exai will stand the test of time. For now, it's pretty satisfactory.

Cant get enough of it at the moment.

Dont know where it ranks amongst their work just yet, but its already one of the best 2+ hour albums I've ever heard. The time flies by, a very detailed atmospheric albumy world.

Many people will love irlite (get 0) because it has that typical Ae "melody" and same sounds as used in... [have to look, some stuff from Tri Repetae I think]... Which makes me wonder, why Ae melodies work. Melodies? Hmm. Is it just because there's not much and we're happy to get the least bit of melody? "Der Einäugige ist unter den Blinden König"? (A german saying: "The one-eyed is a king amongst the blind")

However, I love it. TBH, I cannot get past FLeure and irlite. Fantastic openers.

Interesting point. Maybe a reversal could give a direction toward an answer: what would an Autechre-like track sound like if it did have a melody which would be accepted by every authority on music in the world as an exceptional good melody? Would that melody even be possible in the autechre universe? Would the result still be a good autechre track from our (= WATMM) perspective? Would it sound completely different to the current output?

The fact that these 'melodies' can be so buried and hidden is one of the things i like, btw. Sometimes they're obvious. Sometimes they even have a pop-like hook. But there's always some deconstruction of the basic notions of what makes music music. That we can even ask these kind of things is part of all the fun, i think. That's why they work on a non-musical level, at least. On a musical level? Dunnooooooo. It just feels good. Right?

It just sounds like a really low piano note, throughout the track, kinda chopped up and filtered. Could be a synth but it sounds remarkably like a piano.

Yes it is. Started at 0:11 but it's not just plain piano notes + heavy processing...i also hear 'knocking a piano's wood' samples.

Edited by xox