IGNORED

Brian Eno - LUX

cear

i'm a die hard "eno ambient" fan, records like music for airports, thursday afternoon or neroli, so after those previous warp records (heard only bits of its, seems terribles to be honest, with spoken words & cheap glitch all over the place), i'm kinda delighted by this new ambient record. nothing truly new, but that's still a pretty strong album from what i've heard (the whole streamed album). glad to hear that eno is back at what he does best.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get the hype. It certainly has nothing to do with Apollo. The album lacks consistent melodies and sounds like he fell asleep over that stupid Scape app. Also the first thing that I noticed was that it sounds very cold. The 70s/80s albums manage to evoke a certain warmness in me, I don't know why, but this one doesn't. Guess it's the soundscape, especially the thin higher pitched sounds.

It's still pretty soothing though. Gonna keep spinning it, but I don't see it cashing its place among the top-tier ambient albums Eno has delivered during these last four decades. And there are really many of them. Funny though that I grew to love Small Craft, which seems to be only average by the popular vote.

I'm digging the album, too. It seems perfectly suited to his main goal--"music for thinking". I wonder, though, whether this sort of work is just a recording of one of his programs.

its sounds so much like those early collaborations with Harold Budd.

i had zero interest in this album until i read this. His collabs with Budd are among some of my favorite music of all time

In case you haven't heard them yet, you might also also enjoy Robin Guthrie's collaborations with Budd.

I would also very strongly recommend the 1985 album 'Voices' by Roger Eno. It's very much in the same style as the two Budd collaborations but is even more melodic. Brian Eno also did the treatments on the album and it was produced by Daniel Lanois who produced much of Eno's 80's output.

It is a completely and largely undiscovered classic.

'Day Of Light' event this saturday.

http://brian-eno.net/lux/day-of-light/

Cool! Thanks for the notice! And thanks for the Roger Eno recommendation!

No problem. If you're really into the kind of music Harold Budd was releasing dring the mid and late 1980's, I would also urge you to check out an album by Jeff Greinke called 'Lost Terrain' from 1992.

Tracks such as 'Terrain Of Memory', 'The Precipice' and 'Rendered Motionless' are almost an homage to Budd's albums 'Lovely Thunder' and 'The White Arcades' in that they have they those strange, haunting piano runs, weird pressure drops and an underlying sense of unease beneath all the apparent prettiness that typifies Harold Budd's music during that period.

Regards

• 1 month later...

To coincide with the release of LUX, the album was broadcast at four times during Saturday 17th November 2012 via Brian-Eno.net

Listeners were invited to upload photos as part of an evolving public audio-visual project named 'DAY OF LIGHT'

The four plays were selected to capture different lighting - from sunrise, day, sunset and night.
Submissions were encouraged under a theme 'play of light' and were curated by Eno and his team in real time.

This film archives just 4 minutes of Eno's favourites from over 6,000 submissions.

Archived