Just watched Dredd tonight after all the panty wetting on WATMM. Damn it, you guys fooled me again, like with Django! There were some things I liked about it, namely the feel of the city and the first chase scene. Then it became pretty pedestrian, not to mention a complete rip off of The Raid:Redemption (as has been mentioned, but seriously...). The reason The Raid worked so well is an enclosed claustrophobic space filled with baddies is the perfect location for martial arts mayhem! But gunplay? Not so much. There are only so many things you can do with a gun, and they didn't even really get that creative in that regard. Karl Urban did his best, the partner was pretty good too. Watching Cerce from Game of Thrones team up with Avon Barksdale from the Wire was kind of lol...for a second. I really *wanted* it to be the second coming of Robocop but...Meh. 5/10.

dredd wasn't a rip off of the raid. and the raid was terrible.

How was Dredd better than the Raid? I thought the reverse. The amount of kung fu (I know I know it was pencak silat) in the Raid was numbing after a while, but at least it was entertaining. Villain was better, climax was better...dunno on what count Dredd prevails?

Guest Mirezzi

Urban's mean face was a bit weird. He looked kinda pouty, like a fat kid begging for cake.

I change my mind. Dredd sucked.

lastpost.

judge-dredd-urban-empire-uk-thumb-550x36

"I want some CANDY..."

Edited by The Overlook

the raid got boring really boring really fast with all that fighting, i couldn't finish it. from what i remember it had no humor, no gleeful comical violence, no cool sfx, no acting, no memorable characters and no verhoeven-isms.

I watched Walkabout and The Idiot (although I fell asleep during the second part). They were both Okay. The Idiot is Akira Kurosawa's adaptation of the book The Idiot by Dostoyevsky. The Walkabout has a lot of nudity. I think it is really interesting how it seems like there was a period where nudity wasn't really a big deal in cinema. It ends up showing a young girl (I couldn't tell if she was of age, but she seems to be borderline) and a young boy both completely nude at one point. It is done very tastefully, but I feel if you showed a young boy naked these days that you would get a lot of backlash.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

whoever mentioned the lack of humour in the raid was spot on i reckon. I didnt notice it at the time but did wonder why i couldnt enjoy it.

i saw another earth. it was pretty badly edited/shot but still enjoyable. I really like britt marling. sound of my voice was brilliant too. another earth isn't as good but i liked it. i could see people being disappointed by the lack of sci-fi. ethan from lost was good init too.

I just watched Arbitrage the other night and really disliked it, but I think it may be that I'm just too grumpy for a lot films. Can anyone give any light to what the intention was of filming the whole thing from so close up and with cutting shots every 3-10 seconds?

lol at the part where Gere's character suddenly has the revelation that they should look more closely at the picture of the license plate and when he does it's the Exai cover mspaint cut and copied onto the car. Sneaky police!

Also watched Beasts of the Southern Wild and really liked it. I think maybe there is something wrong with my hormone levels or something because I basically cried through the whole thing.

The scene where she beasts out on the crab and everyone is cheering I just totally lost it.
I'm such a pussy.

I just watched Arbitrage the other night and really disliked it, but I think it may be that I'm just too grumpy for a lot films. Can anyone give any light to what the intention was of filming the whole thing from so close up and with cutting shots every 3-10 seconds?

lol at the part where Gere's character suddenly has the revelation that they should look more closely at the picture of the license plate and when he does it's the Exai cover mspaint cut and copied onto the car. Sneaky police!

Also watched Beasts of the Southern Wild and really liked it. I think maybe there is something wrong with my hormone levels or something because I basically cried through the whole thing.

The scene where she beasts out on the crab and everyone is cheering I just totally lost it.
I'm such a pussy.

I watched Walkabout and The Idiot (although I fell asleep during the second part). They were both Okay. The Idiot is Akira Kurosawa's adaptation of the book The Idiot by Dostoyevsky. The Walkabout has a lot of nudity. I think it is really interesting how it seems like there was a period where nudity wasn't really a big deal in cinema. It ends up showing a young girl (I couldn't tell if she was of age, but she seems to be borderline) and a young boy both completely nude at one point. It is done very tastefully, but I feel if you showed a young boy naked these days that you would get a lot of backlash.

she was 18 at lest, i checked, lol :pedobear:

movie had a bit of investigation lols all around...

Saw Malcom X by Spike Lee. Really liked it. Probably one of the longest movies i've ever seen, 200 minutes. It was paced really well so it didn't feel like Lord of the Rings. Great character arch and an interesting character at that. Very tense scenes. I think i liked the first half a little better than the second half because there were some really stand out scenes in the first half. All in all, great film throughout and a fitting watch for MLK weekend

Guest Deep Fried Everything
which "day the earth stood still", the orig or remake with KIA-GNU

the original, though i guess there was a remake eh..