Melancholia - turned it off halfway through. it was just going nowhere then everyone's reviews on here went through my mind and I just thought "ah fuck this" and shift-deleted it. felt good

detachment - no hyperbole: this is one of the worst movies i've ever seen. i don't even know what else to say. the gf (who is a teacher) and i were laughing through the entire thing. lucy liu's hysterical breakdown is so embarrassing to watch that we almost had to turn the movie off. a ridiculous, arduous piece of shit.

battlespace.jpg

i keep this film as an endurance test. second only to this piece of garbage as one of those films that goes beyond the shit barrier into "this is not funny anymore and you're now pissing me off" territory. you've been warned

Has anyone seen the new Harmony Korine film Spring Breakers?

just the trailer

Django Unchained 8/10

Fantastic in parts, although I felt it lacked the tension that made Inglorious Basterds so brilliant. Waltz was great, as expected, but I thought Jamie Foxx lacked presence. The ending seemed to descend into a hollywood style pay-off when I felt the rest of the story at hinted at something grander. The send-up of the KKK was fantastic however, and the first half of the film where it's just Waltz and Foxx is just great, and stunningly shot. The mandingo fighting element of the story IMO pushed its luck in terms of plausibility.

Edited by jhonny

Guest Mirezzi

Source Code - Cringe-inducingly bad. So bad that it made me re-assess my once glowing opinion of Moon. Duncan Jones just trying wayyyyy too hard. If this had been handled either a lot more conventionally or a lot more experimentally, it may not have sucked. No, nevermind. The story was horrible. It was doomed from the start.

i didn't care for moon very much either, although i didn't hate source code as much as you seem to.

spirit of the beehive - hypnotic and beautiful. highly recommended if you're a fan of pan's labyrinth or the devil's backbone. probably the best spanish language film i've ever seen.

Source Code - Cringe-inducingly bad. So bad that it made me re-assess my once glowing opinion of Moon. Duncan Jones just trying wayyyyy too hard. If this had been handled either a lot more conventionally or a lot more experimentally, it may not have sucked. No, nevermind. The story was horrible. It was doomed from the start.

the story was terrible, but no more terrible than looper, certainly! I happen to dislike any sort of time travel idea with huge plot holes, but some people are way more tolerant and just enjoy the ride. If you can suspend your disbelief for looper, should be able to suspend for source code?

Funny thing about source code, though I thought the twist was preposterous, I strangely found the film emotionally affecting. The ending where the time stops/slows on the train gave me an emotional kick, as intended. Kind of funny.

i did too (get the emotional effect) but i still thought it was a bad film, and of course as expected (coming from me) i found the idea of it having to do with stopping a terrorist attack stupid as fuck. Even if i didn't think movies about terrorism were inherently shitty, the movie might have been stronger without that element i thought. Maybe it was supposed to be a sort of meta commentary on how the gov goes to any length to stop terrorism including learning how to keep a human vegetable alive long enough after death to live inside virtual reality.

Edited by Awepittance

lol. Well apparently he wasn't a vegetable...

I actually liked Jake Gyllenhal (sp?) in the flick, he's a bit weird looking but I think a more solid actor than say, Joseph Gordon Levitt (possibly...or maybe I'm just getting tired of Levitt's smirk).

One thing that bugged the hell out of me in Source Code was the fuzzy bloom effect all over everything (probably mostly to cover the iffy fx).

dredd - was relatively entertaining i suppose. i liked the darker, less hollywood polished feel... i didn't get the girl baddy though... a prostitute who got attacked and scarred once turns into the most feared crime boss in the block? and why didn't dredd just judge the guy and dispose of him instead of trying to get him out of there? ok the psychic was only 99% sure of his guilt but he had already killed others in the name of the law... and either dredd's helmet was too big or his jaw was too small... i know, i'm nit-picking a comic book yarn but these things bugged me... 5.5/10

Haha, that kept bugging me throughout the film. It's piece of shit, but it's a fun piece of shit.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

the mist - turned it off after half an hour, just wasn't worth it. i've read the original story so many times and the movie comes across in an even hokier way. lotsa contrived dialogue too. wasn't it someone here who suggested watching it in b/w? (5/10)

the day the earth stood still - it amused me how much shot time was devoted to people getting into cars and driving away, and not just the lead characters either. very good, suspenseful, but i have to say the very ending was a bit of a letdown.. would have hoped for a little more substantial final speech, but his character was probably fed up with us earthlings by that point so i can't fault him too terribly :D (7.9/10)

Haha, that kept bugging me throughout the film. It's piece of shit, but it's a fun piece of shit.

aye!

the block's silly design also annoyed me, rising up for miles around a small central square with overlooking galleries on every level. the square at the bottom would get the sun for 10 minutes of the day and noone would ever want to walk across it for fear of stuff/bodies being thrown on top of them.

can't remember if i rated dredd yet but it was the first 3d movie i ever watched, which was pretty cool. anyway, the lead baddie chick character felt so fucking 90's. like a combination of acid burn from hackers and tank girl from tank girl.

Guest Blue Peter Cheat

Argo: 7.5/10

I liked it. Some very tense moments and stylishly done. Pretty much zero character development though, especially with the 6.

Monsters: ?/10

On the one hand I found this to be pretty shit and boring. On the other I can't help thinking it had something and there's plenty to credit the director with (eg self-taught CGI).

(Only realised afterwards that Scoot McNairy was in both. Never heard of him before last week.)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that unlike the rest of the forum I really liked Monsters, but then again I'm a sucker for road movies where nothing much happens. I think it had great atmosphere. The ending sucked though. 7/10.

Guest Shit Attack

killer joe was pretty good i thought, not that it matters i think i would give it at least a 7 or at least a 6.5 or maybe even a 6.75

the imposter - 7.5 - interesting documentary, you start to think "how can these idiots believe this guy ?" then he almost makes you think they were more evil than he was. but then you realise nah they were probably just idiots

the raid: redemption - 5/10 - decent enough action sequences but i prefer martial arts movies to have a sense of fun to them . this was filmed like some kinda gritty crime drama. the result was cheese

Guest Mirezzi
i didn't care for moon very much either, although i didn't hate source code as much as you seem to.

spirit of the beehive - hypnotic and beautiful. highly recommended if you're a fan of pan's labyrinth or the devil's backbone. probably the best spanish language film i've ever seen.

Moon had Rockwell going for it and a nice moody atmosphere. I was also a sucker for the remake of Solaris until I made the mistake of watching it a second time.

One of the many things that bothered me about Source Code, although Awepittance already alluded to the stupid fucking terrorist thing, was Michelle Monaghan. I'm just bored to death of her shit as she's the same exact banale, cornbread, girl next door, dull, dumb, witless bitch in every goddamn movie.

I agree on Gynecologicahall versus Gordon-Levitt though. I think the only reason I liked JGL in Looper was because of the makeup. I successfully forgot that it was him and I thought the makeup was great.

The attention being paid to my affinity for Looper is reminiscent of my praise for Tropic Thunder. Just let it go, WATMM!

I have no idea how anybody could have an emotional reaction of any kind to Source Code. It was Groundhog Day re-written as a horribly earnest and cheesy melodrama. Every time he got sent back to that 8-minute sequence, I felt the impulse to stop the movie and get the fuck off the train.

aye!

the block's silly design also annoyed me, rising up for miles around a small central square with overlooking galleries on every level. the square at the bottom would get the sun for 10 minutes of the day and noone would ever want to walk across it for fear of stuff/bodies being thrown on top of them.

Keltoi is now quite officially the most nitpicky picker of nits in all of WATMM Land. Wow...lol.