Guest Jimmy McMessageboard
yes it was really charming and bizarre. Perfectly represented the unique and peculiar cross-cultural exchange that exists between south africa and the rest of the anglo world. Not my style of music *at all* but i'm south african and my grandpa was an anti apartheid fighter at that time who owned those records so i guess I was more interested/invested in the story?

Anyway I really liked it. It's not incredible cinematically but it's such a great story that is doesn't really matter.

cool thanks. got it ordered... sounds like an interesting story... the only reason i'd heard of sixto rodriguez was from david holmes - come get it i got it...

[youtubehd]bVVduwwMMNo[/youtubehd]

same (although didnt dj shadow also use it) till i heard about the movie

cure (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123948) - a most excellent lynchian headfuck psych-thriller, i loved how it made japan look all eastern european, decayed and depressing. the sound design and the camerawork are very impressive too. i couldn't make any sense of it but it was very engrossing.

Edited by eugene

cure (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123948) - a most excellent lynchian headfuck psych-thriller, i loved how it made japan look all eastern european, decayed and depressing. the sound design and the camerawork are very impressive too. i couldn't make any sense of it but it was very engrossing.

sounds rad. love me head fucks

yes i think i watched it, but couldn't get much sense out of it, and it was a crappy copy...

i feel terribly sad when watching movies lower than 720p... :(

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Guest Adjective

i have a hardon for carruth. though i may be shooting myself in the moviegoing experience with my unreasonable high hopes. can't wait to watch it

sounds rad. love me head fucks

yes i think i watched it, but couldn't get much sense out of it, and it was a crappy copy...

i feel terribly sad when watching movies lower than 720p... :(

This film is great, you can find it on youtube too.

err at least you could, can't see it now.

Edited by tec

Yeah Cure is one of my favorite films, I've seen it a few times and it's made less sense to me every time. Hard to find a film like that. Incredible build of tension over time.

new trailer for Shane Curath's Upstream Color (primer dude)

looks like he upped his cinematography game significantly since Primer, looks pretty lush, lol

I have no clue what it is going to be about other than it looks pretentious as fuck.

Guest Mirezzi

There's no reason to think the guy who made Primer is capable of anything else as a filmmaker. That movie survived by the combination of its heavily complicated plot and the low-budget grittiness of the production.

yes, i don't even think i like the cinematography on primer anymore, i'm afraid of revisiting it... and this new one looks exactly like most student projects these days, that constant blur in/blur out geez awful... it's so bright and sharp looks like a polished car commercial...

Awful trailer, is this movie about pigs? who knows.

The trailer is full of cliches, the two-key piano music, the hand brushing over a wall,etc, etc.

Is there a fucking original thought left in entertainment?

Edited by YO303

It looks like a Richard Kelly film. I'm surprised TIMJ isn't fawning over the trailer!

dude, lol, you know you're completely wrong.... isn't it you who's studying cinema and who made hilarious critics on lost? mirezzi?

how can you compare the cinematography of both movies??? u silly bear! :nacmat:

donnie darko has a trashy 90's touch to it:

[youtubehd]3mbBbFH9fAg[/youtubehd]

that trailer reminds me of a work of a friend of mine which i hate: :(

[vimeo]56823554[/vimeo]

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Detachment was pretty damn engrossing and thought provoking. Brilliant cast, a lot of which i guess they only hired for an afternoon and were seriously underused.

Take This Waltz was a sickly, girly, contrived, self indulgent mess which would have Nora Ephron spinning in her grave. It tries so hard to be an emotional, quirky depiction of the modern woman. It just sucks. They even gave Seth Rogen a douchbag haircut to show he can be a dramatic actor. Ughh.

A Fantastic Fear Of Everything was an awful, awful waste. A film made by some hipsters which had some nice visuals, but in true hipster fashion no substance. No cohesive story, they were too busy trying to recreate Terry Gilliam rather than looking at the big picture. Hipsters will be hipsters.

The Amazing Spiderman - It started off good before descending into CGI madness. It's ok but falls short of the Raimi one which had the appeal of feeling fresh.

Dark Shadows was weird in a bad way. I dunno if Burton is watching his recent films back and seeing what an audience sees but he is really misfiring with this and Alice in Wonderland. I dunno, i give up. I thought Sweeney Todd was good. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what he does next. I heard he did a Killers video a couple of weeks ago. How low?

Dredd - enjoyed it a lot.. bizarre that it was made in 2012. shame that i watched The Raid recently, which this seems to be a rip-off of. so i was trying to get over that for a while.

also, a while ago i had a vivid futuristic dream set in a 'block' just like the one in this, with the shops inside the place, graffiti, skateboard ramps on the side of the building and that shit so it was like watching my own dream. cool. 8/10

Edited by tauboo

also, a while ago i had a vivid futuristic dream set in a 'block' just like the one in this, with the shops inside the place, graffiti, skateboard ramps on the side of the building and that shit so it was like watching my own dream. cool. 8/10

that's called a 90's video game! it's not your dream... :emotawesomepm9:

There's no reason to think the guy who made Primer is capable of anything else as a filmmaker. That movie survived by the combination of its heavily complicated plot and the low-budget grittiness of the production.

i think that's a little short sighted, and i don't think that's the only reason the movie 'survived'. I thought it had a pretty brilliant screenplay and had a very focused vision down to the director doing practically ever major duty in the film (score, editing, camera work, etc).