IGNORED

Any other group/artist with the same run of quality albums as ae?

lumpenprol

ween

tom waits

as far as electronic music is concerned, tim hecker and fennesz haven't produced any shit albums, but they haven't been around as long as autechre.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think a lot of jazz artists win just because they put out so much. if you can improvise beautifully on a standard you don't need to compose nearly as much of your own work to put out an album, and that saves a lot of time.

or for that matter if you improvise for nine minutes on a track when you generally had to put out 40-50 minute albums.

so shall we say Herbie Hancock?

no because herbie hancock has like 3 great albums and about 7-8 ones where he fell for disco hook line and sinker

well I like disco so

*insert negative epithet here*

REM_Nov1981_Grebe069.jpg

I'd add Radiohead, Beatles, and Steely Dan if they had put out more excellent albums, but they top out at like 5 or 6 only

Fan bias. I can say I think the Beatles are objectively better.

My initial reasoning? They're output was spotty (not to mention confusing in terms of releases) until Rubber Soul. Even between their best albums were odd quasi-compilations like Yellow Submarine, Magical Mystery Tour and Hey Jude. Also, I've never been a huge fan of the Beatle's pre-Revolver songs, at least beyond compilations like 1 or 62'-66'

R.E.M. on the other hand was fucking solid their entire run at IRS records and with Warner at least until Automatic For The People, though Monster and Adventures in Hi-Fi are good too. That's 8 albums, arguably 10. It was pretty mediocre after that, and while they are understandably unappealing to many, as a fan that's impressive run. In terms of solid Beatles albums, which are among my favorite albums period, it's like 4, maybe 5. For the wealth of the music they put out it's interesting that so much of it was released as singles and comps, they only had a few solid truly full-fledged studio albums.

Also like to add:

PinkFloydbrieflyasafive-piece.jpg

I'm sure Hawkwind would be up there, but can't vouch for their entire discography myself as I haven't listened to it all. The Doors only made 6 before Morrison rode the snake or whatever.

no because herbie hancock has like 3 great albums and about 7-8 ones where he fell for disco hook line and sinker

are you speaking of Head Hunters, Thrust, and Man-Child? i dont know if live albums count and i'm not bringing it up to try to contest your figure of only 3 albums, but i've read about this live album and seen lots of people saying it's really worth getting. seems to be only available by import to US and so it's always been expensive whenever i've seen it, but i've schemed on snatching it up for a couple of years. anyway there has to be a few other good albums in his discog. i'm guessing that the fat albert rotunda and death wish soundtracks might be neat.

Any other group/artist with the same run of quality albums as ae?

No.

heh, classic FF. guy just really really likes ae.

Herbie Hancock had a fucking killer career before Headhunters anyway. Add him to the list for sure.

Fela Kuti. Just an epic individual all around.

are you speaking of Head Hunters, Thrust, and Man-Child? i dont know if live albums count and i'm not bringing it up to try to contest your figure of only 3 albums, but i've read about this live album and seen lots of people saying it's really worth getting. seems to be only available by import to US and so it's always been expensive whenever i've seen it, but i've schemed on snatching it up for a couple of years. anyway there has to be a few other good albums in his discog. i'm guessing that the fat albert rotunda and death wish soundtracks might be neat.

yeah those three and flood (which I own and yes it's worth it) Thrust is one of my favorite albums ever.

and i like disco too, just like.... his disco was bad and didn't reflect the music talent he possesses at all

Guest zzwerty

I'll most likely catch quite a lot of shit for this but I find Venetian Snares has fairly decent quality control if you ignore the last few releases he's done. Not every track or every album is good but it is plentiful and prolific and most of it is pretty good.

I actually agree with this. Sure, his sound hasn't exactly 'advanced' but the pre-filth period was very good at what it did.

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds just released their 15th album. Only a couple great ones in there, but they are very consistent and never suck. Nick Cave has also obviously done 2 good Grinderman albums, The Birthday Party albums, and some film scores.

Might have been a cover album in there though from memory. But still, in that period he did the screenplays and scores for The Proposition & Lawless, the score for The Road, and appeared in films Wings of Desire & Ghosts...of the civil dead.

Busy legend.

Yeah i was thinking about that, after 20 years, most artists/band dont release records like Oversteps or Exai. Well most bands/artists are NOT Autechre... Brian Eno had a few very good records during the 90s/2000s (Neroli, Lightness) but obviously nothing that could beat Before & after science or Music for airports. Mika Vainio has some pretty good music released recently, perhaps not as strong as Pan sonic, but still great. Philip Jeck (he's 60 i think) has never sound so good, his recent live sets (He's mostly a "live" artist) are among his best stuff.

I've pretty much never heard a bad Sun Ra album and that guy's got one of the most prolific discographies known to man... if you don't count the novelty records he was involved in during the late 50s, he had a pretty solid career.

Word.

I'll second Tom Waits and Nick Cave. Also, Miles fucking Davis. Actually, Miles Davis is a pretty good comparison to Autechre in a lot of ways. They both started out fairly conventionally and branched into their own brand of abstraction and improvisation.

King Crimson...Genesis...Pink Floyd...Michael Jackson :diablo: ...

(only love King Crimson)

zappa

David Bowie...

Mad Professor (Neil Fraser)

Guest ZombieLincoln666

Sonic Youth had an absolutely exceptional 15 album run (up until The Eternal, which was dull), almost all of which I think are pretty special records in their own way. NYC Ghosts is the obvious combo breaker that loads of people hate but I still have a soft spot for it. Throw in the SYR discs, the EPs, the soundtrack work, the countless collabs/side projects etc and you have a discography that few can fuck with.

The bolded titles are top drawer imo:

Sonic Youth

Confusion is Sex

Bad Moon Rising

EVOL

Sister

Daydream

Goo

Dirty

Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star

Washing Machine

A Thousand Leaves