IGNORED

Record Store Day 2013

Rubin Farr

Yeah I'm hoping for more electronic/dance stuff from the UK list.

This, can someone just compile the stuff i might be interested in

Think the Bibio/Clark was the only one I bought this year.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said it before and I'll say it again, fuck record store day and the elitist fetishism it promotes... I know it's supposed to encourage sales, but it doesn't it encourages fetishism over limited pressings and that's fucking dumb. If they want to encourage sales all around don't limit it to exclusive pressings one day a year.

Guest bitroast

Diggin' the news of the Liquid Swords, Nick Drake, Sigur Ros, Elliott Smith reissues, along with plenty of others!

Except I'm going to be busy pretty much all day that day :(

AB is the only sigur ros album I have on vinyl. Where's the takk reissue..

Hmm, nothing much excites me in that list. Except maybe the Oval and At The Drive-In reissues. Might look out for those.

Just realized the Tomahawk boxset I bought from Amazon has a RSD logo on it. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of Record Store Day?

And by the way, is Oddfellows coming out on vinyl?

I saw it in a store the other day!

Guest Aserinsky

Haven't actually made it to RD before, do I need to get there fuck early? I seem to be scheduled to be working until 12pm that Saturday

Last year I got to my local record shop at half 6 in the morning, I didn't get out until half 11. A LOT of stuff goes early too, so you might struggle getting what you want.

It's actually quite a fun day though (as fun queuing for 5 hours can be anyway), you get a lot of free stuff too if that's an incentive :emotawesomepm9:

Oh shit, didn't realise it'd be that popular. Well there's about 5 stores that I tend to use which are taking part in the same vicinity so I'll try and get around them all. Hopefully I can swap working that Saturday.

• 3 weeks later...

man Daft Punk is sure missing a golden opportunity to promote their new album on RSD, MGMT is using this to their advantage. DP did those Tron 12" a couple years ago, after 8 year album hiatus, I would love a new limited single or some shit!

^ :emotawesomepm9:

Yeah, might look out for this one! Put some "requests" in at my local store, hopefully can bag what I am after. Foals 7", Show of Hands 7", Monkeytown/50 Weapons 12", Disclosure 12" and the Eno/GrzzlyBrs/Nicholas Jaar 12" would be nice too. Depends how much £££ they are going for....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jasondonervan

Four pages back, I guess this year's RSD wasn't much to shout home about then. I don't know if there were any late additions to the list I saw a few weeks back, but nothing really grabbed me enough to shuffle down early to my local store on a chilly Saturday morning. Pretty grim to see it all flooded straight on to ebay, as per usual...

"A day to celebrate vinyl!" (by re-selling it at grossly inflated prices that only morons would pay)

Guest AcrossCanyons

Between me and my girlfriend we got At The Drive-In, Miles Davis, Notorious BIG, Nick Drake, Caribou and Sigur Ros + the new Foals and Bibio singles. Not a bad day at all. Missed out on the Liquid Swords set which I was really hoping for but knew it would go early and also Elliot Smith as well as Brian Eno though that isn't the end of the world. The first dude queuing was there at 10 last night! Apparently they didn't have the main thing he was after either, haha.

Received a text at 10am this morning from a mate at Beggars Banquet Records which simply said "do you want the squarepusher remix vinyl?"

"yes"

I have no idea what I have bought but it sounds nice.

i hate record store day. let's celebrate overpriced vinyl! hell yeah! here buy this unnecessary reissue for double the price! and these outtakes nobody wanted to hear everr!

if somebody wants to buy my nik kershaw records i tripled the price for every one of them! it's a special day.

I think it's a good initiative to celebrate recordshops and internationally promote them, but what is said here above is the horrific truth, assholes buying and reselling at idiotic prices and the cashing in on unnecessary reissues.

I really like how you can tell the dedicated musicfreaks from another. For example, Clone and Rush Hour refuse to participate in this craze (every day is recordstore day), the L.I.E.S. label tweeted how much recordstoreday sucks because those one-time-in-a-year-labels are clogging up all the pressing plants with those unnecessary limited releases, so every real hardworking label has to wait with new releases, one label told it had to postpone everything 2 months later then planned because of this.

Anyway, I didn't go because my mates didn't have this months paycheck in yet, so we'll make our own recordstore day next week.

This really annoys me, when we kept seeing the 300ziq release on ebay/discogs etc we decided to put one on ebay with all the proceeds going to charity.

It's a shame, because there are music lovers out there, not everyone wants to buy to cash in on it. It's great that people want to support record stores, but one day every year isn't going to keep it a viable business plan. Luckily in Brighton there are a few record stores but they are struggling and many good ones have since closed....

The whole music industry is pretty dire atm, music just isn't as 'important' as it used to be for people. It's too expensive a luxury when people can download for free, it devalues the whole art form.

Oh well, cheers industry for trying to celebrate a dying trade.

Archived