IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Alzado

I knew i'd have to sit on this album for a least a little and let it settle. I was expecting some mindblowing shit, which I did not hear. But now it's giving me something different entirely, absolutely loving it. It's the little things in each song that matter, and the euphoria it gives. Puts you on that different level entirely. BoC is the reason why I am who I am today, always searching for stuff to transport me. And also why I began trying to make these similar feelings in sound myself.

is it still cool to hate bleep?

is it still cool to be WATMM?

it was never 'cool' to hate bleep, you're just making light of the fact that a few of us that ordered were not happy with the way they were treating paying customers who gave them money over a month in advance.

Guest blakeboogie

Well still no FLACS for us UK folk, doesn't matter anyway, Vinyl arrives tomorrow and I'm really loving this release.

Nothing will ever beat MHTRTC for me for a number of reasons but I think this album has the potential to be better than Geogaddi and I never thought I'd say that. :boc:

Warp back in a big way this year, 3 favourite albums this year all on Warp Records, been a while since I've said that.

Aphex Twin - drukQs

Autechre - Confield

Squarepusher - Go Plastic

Autechre - Exai

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Bibio - Silver Wilkinson

Guest Gravity

Well still no FLACS for us UK folk, doesn't matter anyway, Vinyl arrives tomorrow and I'm really loving this release.

Go to the "Music" section of your dashboard instead of just that first page. When you hover over TH it should let you download the FLACs there.

I think for me, it all comes down to the beats. I miss their old sound. Good thing their old music NEVER gets old for me :music:

This series of sentences confuses me. Please explain.

my thoughts after a few listens through:

Tomorrow's Harvest is about finality & loss, about meaninglessness, about existence. It's got definite negative vibes at times, hints of despair, but mostly of wondrous awe & cathartic surrender. The ideas behind this album are huge, & I think that might be why I'm not enjoying it quite as I'd hoped. Tracks often get too predictably dramatic for my liking in their effort to convey weighty ideas. The emphasis on humanity's role as impotent observer, & on our self-destructive foolishness, translates to a "cinematic" feel. Instead of feeling the music, I'm observing it, as watching stars in the night sky. It works, and some tracks are more visceral than others, but I interpret this album as a sedentary, passive experience—again, not necessarily a bad thing. It's just too heavy with implication & seductive cosmic mesmerism to be enjoyed as one enjoys the hazy, arid Music has the Right. MhtR is oneiric; T'sH is about clear, looming realities beyond the perceiver.

still way better than Campfire Headphase. Palace Posy is awesome, reminds me of old skam tracks. also I get strong Actress (RIP) vibes from Jacquard Causeway (another favorite)

Nothing will ever beat MHTRTC for me for a number of reasons but I think this album has the potential to be better than Geogaddi and I never thought I'd say that. :boc:

Geogaddi stands unique: it's deliberately unsettling, it has a weird off-kilter symmetry. it niggles in a deliciously clitoral way. [/boc]

Nothing is Real & Cold Earth remind me of some Geogaddi tracks

Edited by doorjamb

The words I'd use to describe BoC are trippy nostalgic lounge chill-out.. I really can't imagine finding it unsettling. I definitely like this a lot more than Campfire Headphase, although it doesn't instantly feel as dramatically 'new' as their classics.

My first reaction was along the likes of 'holy krautrock, batman' (I agree with another poster here)..there's a few tracks that sound like lost jams from that era.. but well, it's hard to get away from the shadow of krautrock and that in itself is fine..

What I do find interesting is there's sort of a gloss to their sound that I can't quite put my finger on yet. Maybe they're just now seasoned experts at filtering and eq-ing and can bring out all the right bits and pieces. Maybe it's just my own aural-haptic synesthesia, or my imagination, but I only really noticed it when I played this loudly on my monitors. It's weird, because otherwise, I wouldn't be giving this album as many listens but as it stands I'll definitely give it more listens.

First impression overall: pleasant, not mind blowing, but pleasant and still above average compared to most of the 'lectronica coming my way these days.

Edited by TwiddleBot

Also, there's a shaker in there that has the exact same frequency distribution as the sound of my cat begging for wet food. It perfectly masked the sound of my cat meowing for another helping of dinner. Overall impression: 7/10. (<--that's my Pitchfork review).

Edited by TwiddleBot

first impressions... just bored. a lot of people are saying this is original; to me about half the tracks sound like they could be on twoism (which I was never really into) if not for some slightly superior production. maybe part of the problem is I can't really relate to this 'video nasty' motif, but I feel like I'm making excuses. the music is boring.

on TCH, it was a flawed but, I think, pretty beautiful album with some really interesting sounds; coupled with trans-canada highway in that period BOC played out a really lovely aesthetic. I think TH has an interesting sound and idea hidden in there as well; but there just isn't any melody to go with it. I'm hoping a kick-ass EP is going to follow and build on the TH sound with some tracks with enough melodic and rhythmic discipline to keep me from absent-mindedly checking through my emails. At the moment it's all atmosphere; fundamentally 2deep4me.

well said, that's how I feel in a nutshell

I think for me, it all comes down to the beats. I miss their old sound. Good thing their old music NEVER gets old for me :music:

The beats aren't doing it for me, I miss their old sound, and I'm glad I'll always have the old albums to listen to.

Guest Gravity

The beats aren't doing it for me, I miss their old sound, and I'm glad I'll always have the old albums to listen to.

The beat in Cold Earth fucking slams, that one doing anything for you?

The beat in Cold Earth fucking slams, that one doing anything for you?

Yes, it's a nice one.

Guest Gravity

There are some really great tracks here. A few. But there are too many tracks that grind this album to a halt, and that's a problem.

Which tracks?

^Funny, those last two tracks were the ones I was thinking of when I mentioned the krautrocky sound of the album, like Cluster and TD had a baby. This is not a bad thing.

Also I agree, some of the ideas on here are way too short.

Guest Gravity

I like the way Jacquard builds up. Collapse is pretty relaxing, the really airy sounds go nicely with the melody. Uritual is probably the only track I haven't really warmed up to. Oh well, just making conversation.

I like the way Jacquard builds up. Collapse is pretty relaxing, the really airy sounds go nicely with the melody. Uritual is probably the only track I haven't really warmed up to. Oh well, just making conversation.

I really want to love it. I tried, but I shouldn't have to try.

Edited by acroyear

Guest Gravity

I really want to love it. I tried, but I shouldn't have to try.

Oh yeah definitely, don't force yourself. Lots of other great releases this year!