IGNORED

New Boards of Canada Interview

YangYing

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

interesting that they name checked MARK ISHAM rather than JOHN CARPENTER or GOBLIN/ARGENTO as an influence, TOMORROWS HARVEST constantly reminds me of ishams THE HITCHER soundtrack,and also the desert wasteland vibe,some beautiful desert scenes in that movie

Yeah I noticed that; Isham is fucking excellent.

Guest finalmattasy

I don't think atheism is very rational; but I like the way they give the dog a bone.

Music is math, evolution is an unsolved equation.

I don't think atheism is very rational; but I like the way they give the dog a bone.

what is with this new wave of noobs?

*sigh*

now i gotta go back and listen to the score for Zombi and some of Mark Ishams stuff again, i could swear that even the accompanying melodies in that White cyclosia(?) track are also from another horror soundtrack, but sort of mashed up with a melodic riff on John Harrison's day of the dead suite.

Guest Papillon

what is with this new wave of noobs?

*sigh*

:emotawesomepm9: lol - because I'm a noob too

now i gotta go back and listen to the score for Zombi and some of Mark Ishams stuff again, i could swear that even the accompanying melodies in that White cyclosia(?) track are also from another horror soundtrack, but sort of mashed up with a melodic riff on John Harrison's day of the dead suite.

:cerious: white cyclosia

Did you enjoy the interview John Erhlihcman?

Excellent interview. Glad they've shut themselves off from the rest of the world making this - there's no other way such an undiluted crystal clear artistic vision would be realised. I really admire their work ethic and dedication to the crafting of this music, it is seriously impressive.

Excellent interview. Glad they've shut themselves off from the rest of the world making this - there's no other way such an undiluted crystal clear artistic vision would be realised. I really admire their work ethic and dedication to the crafting of this music, it is seriously impressive.

spin magazine:

The last time Boards of Canada released an album, dubstep was barely extant, so it's somewhat surprising to hear dubstep's signature lurch turn up here and there, and to realize that they have probably been listening to the same music we have these past eight years; perhaps they don't live in a turquoise bubble-world after all

:facepalm:

Guest bitroast

nice interview. probably just about the right amount of inisight given (alot of the themes and details have already been pointed out from just a few listens from the youtube webcast from watmm:)

i like the bit about them spending the time to build a studio. it at least gives the impression that this won't be their last album together^^

I told you guys it was soundtracky didn't I? Eh? yes I did.

BTW I read this interview thinking of the voices of characters from Rab C Nesbitt.

It was pretty fun and I highly recommend it.

I mentioned two films on the lead up to this release, that the imagery of the pre-release videos reminded me of......

"Capricorn One" and "Miracle Mile"...... check em out................definitely part of the influence after reading that interview and watching them myself....

Capricorn One has a great concept and aesthetics, but i've tried to get myself to enjoy watching it and i just can't. It's one of those good conceptual 70s paranoia movies much like Soylent Green that i really want to like in theory.
Both have very good scores though. I guess it's the same with Day of the Dead though, it has some great moments a wonderful score but as a whole it's not a very good film. I try to watch that one once every few years to see if it grows on me and Bubb just always throws the whole idea out the window 'a fuck i forgot they teach a zombie how to use a walkmen in this one, goddamit'

Post-apocalyptic, post-human, and holy shit did this resonate with me:

"Being a father fills you with a healthy understanding of your own mortality, and on a bigger scale that responsibility highlights the fragility of our society, or the problems with it. We've become a lot more nihilistic over the years. In a way we're really celebrating an idea of collapse rather than resisting it. It's probably quite a bleak album, depending on your perspective."

*does single head nod at overlook*

Out of all of those dystopian 70s sci fi films, The Andromeda Strain is by far the best. I keep meaning to watch Silent Running again - another brilliant environmentally themed sci fi.

i like the bit about them spending the time to build a studio. it at least gives the impression that this won't be their last album together^^

Indeed. I get the impression that, whilst it won't be raining BoC records, a follow-up album won't be so long in the making.

Thanks for posting the interview, a great read.

Guest Araungzeb

"In fact if you look again at the San Francisco skyline on the cover it's actually a ghost of the city. You're looking straight through it."

This was the coolest part of the interview for me. I had assumed that the cover was ambiguous as to whether it was a sunrise, sunset, or nuclear weapon being detonated over San Francisco. Now that I realize the skyline is a transparent ghost, the cover is even more complex/creepy.

Archived