IGNORED

explain trance to me

Salvatorin

few more...

[youtubehd]Og_o0-5e6P0[/youtubehd]

(OK this one might be acid techno...let's call it acid trance :L ...fucking wicked anyway)

[youtubehd]QVy_RBt-lT4[/youtubehd]

(i never actually liked this track that much, but it's certainly a trance classic so should be included)

[youtubehd]zbZMHJLXxB4[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]a6aviqsbXhE[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]1OYuCqwWhss[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]GFuTxIUn4Rk[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]aRdtWyBwtJ4[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]BqGr662inn8[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]ws5LW54tJ0o[/youtubehd]

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for me the most common linkage to early goa trance is or was later period EBM music. The same dark 16th note syncopated basslines, more overtly dark than most other dance genres at the time.  I never got into regular trance, but if you want to check out some early decent 'goa' records check out the following

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohpm3guN7ZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S35exs8wct8

I always appreciated the genre because of it's association with good drugs (instead of esctacy you'll find LSD, mushrooms,etc)

and it always heavily relied on massive synthesizer sound beds. No other genre of dance music utilized synthesizers this heavily, analog or digital. When i say 'this heavily' i mean having like 3 synth lines going all at once all being tweaked with automation as the main component to the song.

For a while too a lot of the people who would build their own custom made synths before the eurorack age took over were making goa trance. Sort of in a similar way to a lot of Mod tracker composers making jungle/drum and bass in the early 90s

my absolute favorite 'goa' album though is Lone Deranger by Hallucinogen (which came out right before his alter ego Shpongle debut album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7-OCL9-45Q

and another favorite of mine is what i would argue was the first legitimate retro throwback 'ebm' album made by an israeli goa trance artist who goes by Sandman. I think this album personally kicks the living fuck out of any 00's ebm throwback people like Gatekeeper. If you like that gatekeeper sound you absolutely have to give Sandman a listen, especially since he did it 10 years before and better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YQlGOvkAkQ</p>

as far as just 'trance' would Eat Static be considered an early pioneer of that genre? If so I think they have some excellent early material as well, but some of it hasn't aged as well as some early goa.

not yet but it's one of my favorites, the Tommy the Bat primus remix they did on The Gathering is awesome too. BP empire has some good stuff but after they started doing those vocals and guitar on every track I lost interest

I like trance a lot more after thinking about it reading this thread. It seems like an under-appreciated genre amongs electronic music fans. I mean, its a lot different. It's easy to write it off as cheesy but when you set aside your prejudices its very fun to listen to.

I still maintain that this is a real classic of electronic music, up there as an essential album alongside stuff like Lifeforms and Entroducing. You can find out for yourself or you can not. It's whatever.

If you think that it's just "DJ SUPERSTAR POP MUSIC" then listen to the buildup between 4 and 6 minutes of the first track... if you don't enjoy that then idk

peace 7 give us the one track that best captures what it's like to be in this crystal forest outside of time pls

Naw, man- no track can capture the awesomeness that the truest of trance is trying to convey. What you gotta do is use your own mouth/throat (connected to YOUR body and YOUR consciousness), to make these and variants of these sounds: paaah, shaaah, chwaaaah, taad'h, ursssssh. And then you make that acid line of *dugadugadugadugaduga* not with an audible sound, but by pressing hard into you belly button (and or squeezing your testicles hard), which pulses such energy through your system. So whilst making those noises with your mouth and putting hard pressure on your body, then you pulse with your throat in an inhaling vaccum type thing *unnn, unnn, unnn, unnn*, with a periodic rapid rolling of the tongue like *rrrrrr*. You do all this in a tiled, tight environment such as a restroom.

This, is trance BEFORE the music.

p.s. It helps if you're on 20 grams of shrooms, which should turn your restroom into a spacecraft.

[youtubehd]Rle05r0R_10[/youtubehd]

Juno Reactor - Kaguya Hime

Okay, I'm gonna give a rundown as to why this is one of the ultimate trance tracks of all time, so if you'd like you can listen to the track and read along cuz this shit is so real I had to take 5 weeks off of work and pretend I was pregnant to get time for this WATMM analysis:

0:00 You hear that tone? That is your soul on fire at near absolute-zero.

0:08 You hear that bubbling? That is the rhythm of you pulling on your umbilical cord as yer mum has an orgasm, as did the infinite number of mothers before her, into the cosmos, birthing light itself.

0:20 That rattling is the pubic hair upon all men of all planets.

0:25 That is your space craft of life starting up, as you consciously and willingly decided to be birthed onto this planet to spread the idea of universal peace and take down all those whose intention is to oppress the freedom of humanity and all of Gaia's inhabitants.

0:29 That humming is alluding to the black and white films of the 1940's, emphasizing that color is an illusion of your consciousness, yet you treat it as reality. Simpleton-- the sun is willing to hold hands with you, if you can just let this go.

0:38 The tribal drums and rhythm of your consciousness through the illusion that is perceived as time.

0:52 FAKE reverb on hits, to emphasize the idea that 3-dimensional space is merely an illusion.

1:11 You punching yourself in the face, to realize and confirm the self as the self; further confirming that self is the only one who can affect self negatively.

1:17 Your space craft is into ultra drive as you spread at speeds far beyond the speed of light and being, creating all directions by mere realization of self.

1:25 Your levitation cannot be disturbed by any Earthly forces.

1:52 You have birthed all of mankind.

2:22 This is badly pronounced Japanese, to emphasize the fact that perfection of superficial aspects of language is bullshit spread by the oppressors, to take away from the importance of emphasis and intention in language being everything. By merely the waving of a hand, a newborn baby conveys all the knowledge of the universe, until it learns limitations.

2:33 You realize that you are the all-knowing everything that has ever been, and it is up to you and ONLY YOU, to save all of humanity and all of Gaia's creations from inevitable corruption virus. You are the all-seeing all-knowing One, and you often ask yourself why you must save All- only to answer yourself, "Because I am the only one who can."

3:00 Time to armor up in Pure Light for The Battle of Truth, Love, Righteousness.

3:30 The true battle starts, after firm realization that Earthly corruption has been from within all along, so it has never been a battle to harmonize external forces with the internal-- it has always been a battle of harmonizing the Self in order to spread the True knowledge of Peace to all of mankind and all that is conscious; all that is not.

3:58 You painfully kill thy self, as you are the source of all corruption.

4:12 Killing the corrupt self births the True self of Light; death is non-existent, infinite Life births from every breath you take; from all life you spread through the cosmos.

4:25 You are becoming The One.

4:45 You Now Realize the Godself that you Always have been since you Willed Existence into Being. There is no concept other than Nothing+Everything.

5:40 The Trueness of your Consciousness is ALL, You are ONE and All is YOU. You have mastered thy self and spread PURE LIGHT through All Tiime, ultimately unifying All through all incarnations of Being, in all Dimensions, in all Layers, in all Forms. You have reached, SELF.

Fuck me, this just gave me a mad flashback, haven't heard of this bloke in years but when I was 10 on holiday in Cornwall with my mad uncle he drove around with this blaring out the windows shouting at old ladies,

ok old school trance spotters there was this tune that sounded a little bit like Age of Love but was much faster with loads of snare rushes mixed with a weird whoopy LFO sound and a simple choir sample stab for the lead line melody which was quite haunting. The track starts with just this lead choir sound and hard 4/4 bass kick, I think it had a tinkly piano arpeggio too there too. Any ideas? I'm talking around 93-94ish.

Probably haven't explained it well enough but I never found out what that tune was called although it always appeared on ye white label mix tapes of old.

ok old school trance spotters there was this tune that sounded a little bit like Age of Love but was much faster with loads of snare rushes mixed with a weird whoopy LFO sound and a simple choir sample stab for the lead line melody which was quite haunting. The track starts with just this lead choir sound and hard 4/4 bass kick, I think it had a tinkly piano arpeggio too there too. Any ideas? I'm talking around 93-94ish.

Probably haven't explained it well enough but I never found out what that tune was called although it always appeared on ye white label mix tapes of old.

found it!! :biggrin:

There was a wicked vid on youtube of some belgian trance/hardcore producers (cant remember who unfortunately, i think they were affiliated with r&s though) in the studio in the early 90s, not much info to go on but i'd love to see it again.

One of the tracks was soooo good, and lots of great gear.

Anyone got any idea what im talking about?

Archived