IGNORED

explain trance to me

Salvatorin

Yeah, although that wasn't very hard to determine, it already says so in the title. :smile:

IIRC that's part of an old report on house music in a news magazine, I was looking for it just recently but could only find the first part. It's in Dutch but there's some subtitled English parts in it:

That segment in Bolland's studio is part of the 'lost' second part as I remember it. Would be cool if anyone can dig up the whole thing.

Amen Warrior, I don't think I remember what you're thinking of, it could be from the same report but in that case I don't remember it. Not sure what duo you could be thinking of, but maybe it'll come back to me.

EDIT: Maybe you could have a look at some episodes of the Dutch show 'LolaDaMusica', there's a bunch of them from the 90s on Youtube (the one with Squarepusher/Photek/Source Direct is familiar to WATMM I think, but there are many more).

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

excellent post :)

my favorite soumisaundi album of all time was mandalavandalz's debut 'hong kong knightlife'. its more goa than it is spudge though.

Yeah, although that wasn't very hard to determine, it already says so in the title. :smile:

IIRC that's part of an old report on house music in a news magazine, I was looking for it just recently but could only find the first part. It's in Dutch but there's some subtitled English parts in it:

That segment in Bolland's studio is part of the 'lost' second part as I remember it. Would be cool if anyone can dig up the whole thing.

Amen Warrior, I don't think I remember what you're thinking of, it could be from the same report but in that case I don't remember it. Not sure what duo you could be thinking of, but maybe it'll come back to me.

EDIT: Maybe you could have a look at some episodes of the Dutch show 'LolaDaMusica', there's a bunch of them from the 90s on Youtube (the one with Squarepusher/Photek/Source Direct is familiar to WATMM I think, but there are many more).

I think youre getting close with this, that's the exact sort of thing. I might even be remembering the lost second half. Thanks :) unfortunately i cant remember the duo, or even if it actually was a duo or just one guy. Maybe was speedy j, if he was in the second half of the video...i picked up a bunch of speedy j records ages ago and i think it may have been a result of the vid. I just want to hear that tune again!

I found the whole thing as a Facebook video, but I don't think it's what you're looking for. The second half of it has that part with CJ Bolland but not much else in terms of studio stuff, the rest of it is mostly at Renaat and Sabine's (aka R&S) place.

It's not a Gabber track you're looking for, is it? Because the infamous Lola Da Musica gabber documentary has a bit with Patrick van Kerkhoven (aka DJ Ruffneck, who looks like the unironic version of Ninja of Die Antwoord) messing around with a synth line.

It's a bit off topic and again it's probably not what you're looking for but everyone who hasn't watched it should give it a shot anyway. (The Ruffneck studio bit starts around 13 minutes, in case you think there's any chance this is actually it).

• 5 weeks later...

ok old school trance spotters there was this tune that sounded a little bit like Age of Love but was much faster with loads of snare rushes mixed with a weird whoopy LFO sound and a simple choir sample stab for the lead line melody which was quite haunting. The track starts with just this lead choir sound and hard 4/4 bass kick, I think it had a tinkly piano arpeggio too there too. Any ideas? I'm talking around 93-94ish.

Probably haven't explained it well enough but I never found out what that tune was called although it always appeared on ye white label mix tapes of old.

found it!! :biggrin:

How the fuck does that sound anything like "age of love"?

John E - yeah I loved the first Eat Static stuff - everything up to and including "science of the gods" I would definitely consider their first 3 albums early trance/goa

This is probably my favorite track of theirs (specifically this mix)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn2pc5gSULs

Some classic shit from Union Jack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6F-LrNCA_g

Some amazing shit from Harthouse/Eye-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1-B1QH7ZTc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mlCtHkUMsA

And mmmmmmmm Vapour Space (came out on plus8 I believe)

Orbital does trance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwVycuFB7sc

(and yes the blue album is not really up to par, but this track...i defy you to smoke a nice fat joint, put this on, watch the sun come up and not fucking feel this track).

And Tom Middleton makes a great remix of an otherwise mediocre orbital track

Awesome thread guys. Good to see some Digweed love, check out his latest live in Argentina mixes, house techno and some trance moments. The man still definitely has it, 20 years on. Can't say that about anyone else really.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

it still makes me smile that there is a very famous goa/psy artist who goes by the name of Texas Faggot. Its also really weird WATMM knows so much about all the happy trance shit but has so little knowledge about psytrance besides like 3-4 total watmm members. I always found it odd how hostile electronic musicians I knew were towards psytrance especially synth enthusiasts. For a while, especially in the late 90s early 00's psy/goa was literally the the most hardware synth heavy genre of anything else in electronic music.

Oddly all new psytrance that i've heard is very IDM influenced to the point where they do so many glitches and stutters it sounds actually horrible while tripping on psychedelics.

funny thread.......

trance music (for me) is ageless brilliance, like Terry Riley or Can, folks who could build a groove that in itself became transcendental. The Grateful Dead were proper trance imho, at least up until Pigpen died. Deep house is real trance music, i dont see the synth aspect as all encompassing/exclusive or it boxes things in a tad. Trance is eyes-closed locked in a groove somewhere, indoors, outdoors or in her lady's chamber.

The early 90's saw all kinds of cross-pollination of sounds via Holland & Belgium, which evolved with your Eat Statics, the Goa/Israeli trance bs (sorry but good drugs & bad music is the ultimate turn off). A lot of the more recent electronic journeys (ie: since the early 90's) have left me pretty cold. Caspar Pound's (rip) Rising High label put out some good gear and this lp is worth a punt if you prefer things on the more trippy/housier side of the genre:

bd972170e9fc.jpg

If you compare the higher bpm-based tunes listed elsewhere here to something like Speedy J's "Beam Me Up", you can hear how trance doesnt have to be high-nrg/high tempo-specific to "work" (the rest of the lp doesnt come close to BMU imho), nor does it necessitate 303's or any real synth elements to deliver. This track DESTROYS dance-floors, so if you play out, get it in your bag pronto to experience what i'm failing to articulate here through vague diction:

Also,,,,,,William Burroughs would be proud.....

23:23

For me trance kinda spawned from the more upbeat ambient techno (Age of Love, Cygnus X) which then split into two, Goa Trance (later Psytrance) for the old hippes who liked to dance for free in muddy fields and the more commercial trance anthems for clubs when Paul Van Dykes 'For an Angel' Robert Miles 'Children', Faithless ect had massive commercial success. Follwing this you also had Sasha/Digweed pioneering a slightly more refined progressive trance that was a little less cheesy. Both avenues of 'trance' really haven't progressed musically since

That summarizes things perfectly (from a Euro-perspectiv)e - well said sir! Oakenfold's Fluro bollix & Sasha transitioning from genius house music to commercial shit def underpinned the rapid/rabid commercialization. And dont forget, Ibiza was hippy trance central throughout the 60's/70's/Alfredo-era 80's too....

Can we establish that the 93-95 Trance Europe Express compilations contain trance music or something else?

yes they did indeed, but they also illustrated the broader cross-pollination of sounds coming out of Holland & Belgium in the early 90's, even if the title sought to bring it all under 1 umbrella. Check THIS beast as another example that high bpm's dont have equate to trance states induced in the listener (plus the sample is oddness personified):

as far as just 'trance' would Eat Static be considered an early pioneer of that genre? If so I think they have some excellent early material as well, but some of it hasn't aged as well as some early goa.

Eat Static had a big following this side of the pond with the altered state trance-shamen crews....been to nights out where 1 room was hosted by ES and their punters were nearly all attired the same way, bright fluro bits n bobs, white folks w/dreads, def crustier than most and attracted all the olde Ozrics & Hawkwind psychonauts who may have avoided the more housier elements out n about

to summarize,,,,,

Okay, I'm gonna give a rundown as to why this is one of the ultimate trance tracks of all time, so if you'd like you can listen to the track and read along cuz this shit is so real I had to take 5 weeks off of work and pretend I was pregnant to get time for this WATMM analysis:

0:00 You hear that tone? That is your soul on fire at near absolute-zero.

0:08 You hear that bubbling? That is the rhythm of you pulling on your umbilical cord as yer mum has an orgasm, as did the infinite number of mothers before her, into the cosmos, birthing light itself.

0:20 That rattling is the pubic hair upon all men of all planets.

0:25 That is your space craft of life starting up, as you consciously and willingly decided to be birthed onto this planet to spread the idea of universal peace and take down all those whose intention is to oppress the freedom of humanity and all of Gaia's inhabitants.

0:29 That humming is alluding to the black and white films of the 1940's, emphasizing that color is an illusion of your consciousness, yet you treat it as reality. Simpleton-- the sun is willing to hold hands with you, if you can just let this go.

0:38 The tribal drums and rhythm of your consciousness through the illusion that is perceived as time.

0:52 FAKE reverb on hits, to emphasize the idea that 3-dimensional space is merely an illusion.

1:11 You punching yourself in the face, to realize and confirm the self as the self; further confirming that self is the only one who can affect self negatively.

1:17 Your space craft is into ultra drive as you spread at speeds far beyond the speed of light and being, creating all directions by mere realization of self.

1:25 Your levitation cannot be disturbed by any Earthly forces.

1:52 You have birthed all of mankind.

2:22 This is badly pronounced Japanese, to emphasize the fact that perfection of superficial aspects of language is bullshit spread by the oppressors, to take away from the importance of emphasis and intention in language being everything. By merely the waving of a hand, a newborn baby conveys all the knowledge of the universe, until it learns limitations.

2:33 You realize that you are the all-knowing everything that has ever been, and it is up to you and ONLY YOU, to save all of humanity and all of Gaia's creations from inevitable corruption virus. You are the all-seeing all-knowing One, and you often ask yourself why you must save All- only to answer yourself, "Because I am the only one who can."

3:00 Time to armor up in Pure Light for The Battle of Truth, Love, Righteousness.

3:30 The true battle starts, after firm realization that Earthly corruption has been from within all along, so it has never been a battle to harmonize external forces with the internal-- it has always been a battle of harmonizing the Self in order to spread the True knowledge of Peace to all of mankind and all that is conscious; all that is not.

3:58 You painfully kill thy self, as you are the source of all corruption.

4:12 Killing the corrupt self births the True self of Light; death is non-existent, infinite Life births from every breath you take; from all life you spread through the cosmos.

4:25 You are becoming The One.

4:45 You Now Realize the Godself that you Always have been since you Willed Existence into Being. There is no concept other than Nothing+Everything.

5:40 The Trueness of your Consciousness is ALL, You are ONE and All is YOU. You have mastered thy self and spread PURE LIGHT through All Tiime, ultimately unifying All through all incarnations of Being, in all Dimensions, in all Layers, in all Forms. You have reached, SELF.

ps: if you like playing these kind of bits on vinyl, if you pitch this saintly creation all the way down to -8&half (ie: maxed) you can just get it to about 125bpm which is the upper limit for personal taste

http://www.discogs.com/Perry-Rhodan-The-Beat-Just-Goes-Straight-On-On/release/4837

ppss - let the girl's vocal play for a min when she gets gowing, cos thats the hook,,,,

this track is full of the usual corny Goa trappings and yet, I dunno, sorta pretty good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu4F4Pi3StI

right? I mean, it's probably terrible but I used to cram Bio textbooks to this shit circa 2001. Also mushrooms.

also, lol, dude was in Venom

edit: Bonus track sampled by Secret Chiefs 3, lol Trey

ps: if you like playing these kind of bits on vinyl, if you pitch this saintly creation all the way down to -8&half (ie: maxed) you can just get it to about 125bpm which is the upper limit for personal taste

http://www.discogs.com/Perry-Rhodan-The-Beat-Just-Goes-Straight-On-On/release/4837

ppss - let the girl's vocal play for a min when she gets gowing, cos thats the hook,,,,

Posted this track at some other place where trance was being discussed. Got bitched around for calling it trance, I remember. It didn't fit the template of the modern trance. This was supposed to be techno.

Shit, to me '93 was the best trance year. Most good trance records i remember are from those days. Must be a growing up kind of thing though.

Archived