IGNORED

Reaktor 5 is $99 until May 28th

seems like live is the most widely used tho. at least by us amateurs. is reaktor better / worse?

Reaktor and Live aren't really comparable. Live is a DAW host, whereas Reaktor is....actually, how the fuck do you describe Reaktor?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reaktor sure seems complex, but if you learn it a little bit you can actually use to make things really simple and neat. I get a ton of mileage out of building really small, purpose-built effects and synths out of it. Use one for a few tracks, move on.

A lot of nerds tend to use Reaktor, so a lot of Reaktor synths tend to be huge and confusing, but you don't have to use it that way. You can make something with as much weirdness as you want under the hood but only 3 knobs on the front. That's my favorite way to go.

Insane deal for $99. Wish I could buy it again.

Aye thought they would. Shame it automatically seems to detect the currency from (presumably) your IP address. In the past when there's been offers like that I've selected from a drop down to pay for it in dollars using paypal

Can you get someone else to buy it in $ for you?

yeah the comparison with Live seems pointless, although I'm sure you can set up a very good custom live environment with it if you're willing to invest some time. But it's also an extremely powerful synth-maker (and with "synth" you can think about pretty much every synthesizing method I guess), FX / processing maker, probably a good sequencer too (I never tried it that way though). And of course it comes up with a lot of powerful pre-made stuff if you don't want to bother with programming by yourself.

Aye thought they would. Shame it automatically seems to detect the currency from (presumably) your IP address. In the past when there's been offers like that I've selected from a drop down to pay for it in dollars using paypal

It's probably for the best, barely touched Max since I bought it last year - no need to chuck another bit of software into the mix that I'll rarely use.

It's probably for the best, barely touched Max since I bought it last year - no need to chuck another bit of software into the mix that I'll rarely use.

Same here. I'm really tempted, but I know I won't play with it that much. If only I could be off work for a few months.

Bought this and installed but have to study later when I have more time. Seems pretty awesome/intimidating at first glance, lol.

Fuck it. Bought. I guess I would rather regret having it and not using it than regret not have bought it. Maybe I can make it a work expense... :diablo:

lol yeah the euro to dollar / pound to dollar ratio sucks... you brits have it worst I think. Steam does this shit too.... would be 117 usd with added taxes, and I bought it for 139 usd. OH WELL.

Generator was the first piece of audio software I really liked, even though my computer at the time couldn't really handle it (pentium 2). I haven't used Reaktor for ages now though and have been programming ringmodulators just now. I have no idea when, or if I will get to the Core Cell stuff.. super nice to use this deep sounddesign software again though.

I'm using it with Renoise and Reason. Basically I have all the Re's now including REAPER. All the software I need.

I bought it years ago in another sale (all of their products were $99), and while I haven't used it to build anything just yet, the user library is awesome. There's a disturbingly accurate AKS emulation on there!

Yeah, I just bought this. Needed a reasonably-priced but deep and diverse entry point for electronic music making that can sort of allow me to learn in one area at a time without having to dig into some other (separately priced) piece of e-kit when I want to add to the repertoire. Thanks for the heads up!

be warned, baph music on watmm is now inevitable. apologies in advance.

Guest Hanratty

I couldn't resist and bought this last night. What are your favorite Reaktor ensembles WATMM?

for me, I go through phases of liking certain ensembles, and then moving on to others. But each of the factory ensembles is really cool, some of them aren't immediately awesome, but once you know what they can do, its really awesome. check out Twisted Tools too. Their ensembles cost some money, but they're so unique and well designed that it's worth the little money.

I couldn't resist and bought this last night. What are your favorite Reaktor ensembles WATMM?

Creeture in the user library has been my favorite for the past year or so, it's the only Serge modular software emulation I've ever seen and if you over sample it (jump the sampling rate up to 192 or higher) it sounds really close to the real thing. Reaktor has a nice oversampling feature that makes 'analog' synths created in it sound a lot smoother (less stair steppy or harshness). Unfortunately i dont think this can be done inside of a host though, only in stand-alone mode

looks like you can change the sampling rate inside the vst..maybe it doesn't do anything unless you change in the daw too?

A lot of DAWs will have an HQ plugin option that you can turn on for the final render, keep CPU manageable during composition, while allowing pristine quality come mixdown time. YMMV!

went ahead and grabbed it at the end of the sale last night... holy smokes this is a great piece of software. gonna get lost in this for many months. :wub:

lol I'm 32 and what is this? Have to pack to move this weekend but after that it looks like tutorial purgatory for me for a while.

So I bought it as well and started to program firsts simple patches with it, I really like it! I was wondering, do anyone know if there's a way to wire and clean patches quicker? Max has a couple of nice functions to align "objects" or to wire them quickly (shift key for wiring an out to several ins for example). I didn't find anything on a first internet search, maybe I missed something?

What's the point if you end up downsampling to 44.1 anyway for mainstream release?

because uppping the sampling rate drastically effects the timbre of the sound, this is not a 'it sounds higher quality bro' type of situation, this is the nature of analog-esque synthesizers made in the VST realm sounding significantly different better/smoother when the sampling rate is jacked up super high. I do everything in 44.1k too.

IIRC Reaktor really has two sample rates, there's the actual sample rate of the audio output, then there's the `sample rate' that the audio-rate signal chain inside the ensemble runs at. I believe the app automagically oversamples the latter down to the former for output.

That's why you can crank up the `sample rate' setting on the instrument to like 192k and still get a different sound (debatable how different I suppose) without changing the actual output sample rate of the app. Pretty impressive technology that.

Does it even work if your audio device doesn't support such high sampling rates?

I'm gonna try it on the aks emulator this weekend

IIRC Reaktor really has two sample rates, there's the actual sample rate of the audio output, then there's the `sample rate' that the audio-rate signal chain inside the ensemble runs at. I believe the app automagically oversamples the latter down to the former for output.

That's why you can crank up the `sample rate' setting on the instrument to like 192k and still get a different sound (debatable how different I suppose) without changing the actual output sample rate of the app. Pretty impressive technology that.

exactly, changing the sampling rate on the main reaktor window at the top right does not change your sampling rate clock for the overall app or for your soundcard.

and yes modey it works even if your soundcard doesnt support super high sampling rates

for a very striking test run the Creeture ensemble at 44.1 and compare it to the way it sounds at 192. very different timbres

Archived