IGNORED

June 2014 - "New Shit Is Imminent" - Richard D. James

Joyrex

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys wasn't a lot of the material on Classics originally released as AFX?

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Really though, Analord 10 does sound distinct from the other Analords, which suggests there might be an intentional genre/approach separation (at that point, at least).

analord 10 dont sound any different to the others for me

10 is the aphex logo picture disc, maybe thats the only reason for the name change or just some bit of randomness

should we read so much in to shit?

10 is the aphex logo picture disc, maybe thats the only reason for the name change

N.B. the original pressing of A10 that wasn't the picture disc and was still Aphex

10 is the aphex logo picture disc, maybe thats the only reason for the name change

N.B. the original pressing of A10 that wasn't the picture disc and was still Aphex

i guess i knew that was coming :)

Guest skibby

A lot of the others seem to really be taking the piss, but SOME OF US have actual on-topic things to say.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some more work to do:

As the artist formally known as prince pointed out, AFX is a sort of abbreviation for Aphex Twin (although wherever the abbreviation for 'twin' went i dont know)

But I'd like to up the ante and ask about the pronunciation of 'AFX'

And speaking of the artist formally known as Prince, is there a similar way that Richard can sell music if his favourite nicknames are parked by ripoff nameserving jack-in-offices?

(edit)

Maybe there are some phonetic ways around the legalities. Like Eighfecks'd Win or somefing.

(edit)

and this thread is more important to me than breakfast.

I've always just pronounced it same as Aphex. I've never heard anyone pronounce it as individual letters (Ay Eff Ex).

And "Eighfecks'd Win" is fantastic.

A lot of the others seem to really be taking the piss, but SOME OF US have actual on-topic things to say.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some more work to do:

As the artist formally known as prince pointed out, AFX is a sort of abbreviation for Aphex Twin (although wherever the abbreviation for 'twin' went i dont know)

And speaking of the artist formally known as Prince, is there a similar way that Richard can sell music if his favourite nicknames are parked by ripoff nameserving jack-in-offices?

(edit)

Maybe there are some phonetic ways around the legalities. Like Eighfecks'd Win or somefing.

(edit)

and this thread is more important to me than breakfast.

Twin is because he had a big brother James, named also Richard James, who was stillborn.

Guys stop talking in this thread cause I keep checking it for updates, but then it's just you guys talking about nothing.

welcome to the last 5+ years of the AFX subforum :crazy:

Guest skibby

What if he released a 'black album' with no title or track names at all? would the fans still care, and would he still receive his due? metallica kind of did that in the 90s (only the front cover of course) and I was like wut? cause i wanted another awesome painting like and justice for all.

but i think it would be radical to just release things without any text, or even track numbers, and invite the listener to just listen or not, like it or not, without crutches. like a dj set.

the smojphace vinyl was a bit like that, just a black centre label only the small sticker on the sleeve giving any info

Guest skibby

2 questions:

1) i wonder if the manchester track will be on it. and i wonder if it will be called 'the manchester track.'

2) where is the medium of music going? spotify is old already, what's next? will they use sound to invisibly transmit music to our brains?

can everyone please shut the fuck up you bunch of fucking idiots.

Don't like the thread, stop clicking on it. It's pretty simple, I figure a genius such as yourself should be able to figure that out.

There's no way I'll be able to find it, but I'm pretty sure there's an interview where Richard talks about how he sees the difference between Aphex Twin vs. AFX. Something like AFX being rougher-around-the-edges sort of stuff? I can't remember.

I think Analord 10 sounds very different from the preceding Analords. It's the only record of the bunch (far as I can remember now?) that doesn't sound like raw analog jams but pretty clearly has breaks / edits / etc. that could only really come from computer production.

Who knows the timeline but Analord 10 always struck me as a template for what would come later as the Tuss tracks (as in, sounds that are clearly mostly analogue in origin but carefully arranged in a computer instead of jammed `to tape`)

aaaaanyway

There's no way I'll be able to find it, but I'm pretty sure there's an interview where Richard talks about how he sees the difference between Aphex Twin vs. AFX. Something like AFX being rougher-around-the-edges sort of stuff? I can't remember.

I think Analord 10 sounds very different from the preceding Analords. It's the only record of the bunch (far as I can remember now?) that doesn't sound like raw analog jams but pretty clearly has breaks / edits / etc. that could only really come from computer production.

Who knows the timeline but Analord 10 always struck me as a template for what would come later as the Tuss tracks (as in, sounds that are clearly mostly analogue in origin but carefully arranged in a computer instead of jammed `to tape`)

aaaaanyway

yes

Archived