IGNORED

WATMM travel thread

usagi

you can deffo toke it up one time.

big style

What does that mean, will a taxi take me to a decent coffee shop if I ask nicely, like with cash in my hand? ;)

I see no more products with more than 15% THC content, so I'm guessing brownies and hash are taboo?

• 1 month later...

So, I'm finally in Minsk, Belarus. The visa was a bit of a hassle. Other than that no problems so far.

Some notes:

- Surprisingly clean and organized.

- Lots of stalinist architecture. Some stalinist facades are hiding modern shopping malls behind.

- Local alcohol is cheap. Even my hotel room minibar is ridiculously cheap.

- Food is good and cheap if you like the heavy Russian stuff which I do.

- My hotel has its own strip club, lol. But haven't tried it. (Also prostitutes in the lobby bar but I guess that's normal around here (haven't tried them either))

- Not much sights to see. Maybe I'll go check Lee Harvey Oswald's old apartment tomorrow.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

looks epic

My words exactly.

I visited NYC for the third time a couple of weeks ago. I stayed in Brooklyn (again) around Fort Greene Park. I liked it there. I ate so much crap and had so much coffee.

looks epic

My words exactly.

I visited NYC for the third time a couple of weeks ago. I stayed in Brooklyn (again) around Fort Greene Park. I liked it there. I ate so much crap and had so much coffee.

I'll be staying in that area (Clinton Hill) next month.

Can anyone enlighten me on the current weed pass situation in Amsterdam?  I've read it's enforced/it's not enforced.  I was gonna meet a girl from the US there next Spring, but not if we can't toke up anymore.  Of course, there are other things to do there, but c'mon.  We will do some sightseeing so we're not TOTALLY backwards Americans, lol.

Don't believe the hype ;)

It's not hard to get a smoke in A*dam. If you happen to have some bad luck and walk into a coffeeshop that doesnt want to sell to "tourist", just get a coffee and have a seat. There'll be a local helping you in a few minutes!

No need to worry. 

IRL 1st world travel problem was going to Japan and even hearing IDM music in the mountains but not meeting peace7 due to just being blown away with options.

Will post evidence. Japan FTW tho.

• 8 months later...

Fourth week going on traveling in the Balkans. Flying back to Finland the next weekend.

The route was Croatia - Montenegro - Bosnia & Herzegovina - Romania - Bulgaria - Macedonia.

• 3 years later...

To not shit all over the gig thread with my travel plans anymore I'll post here. ?

So, anyone else have travel plans pending due to the pandemic? I've had time to plan while being stuck at home..

I'm going to meet my gf first of course, as soon as possible. But then I've been planning a bit longer trip..

Get a train from Helsinki to Moscow via Vyborg and St. Petersburg. Travel down Volga to Kalmykia and Caspian sea. Cross over to Kazakhstan. Travel around the 'stans a bit. Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan. Of course depending on the political situation in the area. Kyrgyzstan seems a bit iffy now. Turkmenistan maybe possible on a tour from Uzbekistan? Then cross overland to China and head over to Himalayas. Check Tibet if possible and travel to Nepal and then down to India and Sri Lanka.

Depending on how the pandemic goes and what's the situation with work is (also family etc) but maybe it would be possible to start next summer and finish early 2022. Let's see.

29 minutes ago, zkom said:

To not shit all over the gig thread with my travel plans anymore I'll post here. ?

So, anyone else have travel plans pending due to the pandemic? I've had time to plan while being stuck at home..

I'm going to meet my gf first of course, as soon as possible. But then I've been planning a bit longer trip..

Get a train from Helsinki to Moscow via Vyborg and St. Petersburg. Travel down Volga to Kalmykia and Caspian sea. Cross over to Kazakhstan. Travel around the 'stans a bit. Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan. Of course depending on the political situation in the area. Kyrgyzstan seems a bit iffy now. Turkmenistan maybe possible on a tour from Uzbekistan? Then cross overland to China and head over to Himalayas. Check Tibet if possible and travel to Nepal and then down to India and Sri Lanka.

Depending on how the pandemic goes and what's the situation with work is (also family etc) but maybe it would be possible to start next summer and finish early 2022. Let's see.

Was supposed to go to amsterdam this may. Also I had a trip to tokyo planned in the same month. They both got canned

27 minutes ago, dingformung said:

I've never been to Morocco and there is no good reason for that. I wonder how Corona affects future flight prices.

I've been flying domestic in Finland during the 'rona times due to work trips. So far flying has been cheaper than going by train. The 600km trip up to north and back is about 70-80€ by plane with just the carry-on baggage. By train the same trip is around 100€. Using a bus would be incredibly cheap but it takes fucking forever and the cheap buses are very uncomfortable compared to trains or even planes.

I've been wanting to visit Europe for the last couple years but things keep getting in the way. Hopefully the plague settles the fuck down in 2021.

Otherwise, I was going to visit some friends in Portland soonish, but not sure given the new numbers. It's about a 10 hour drive from here.

On 9/19/2016 at 12:37 PM, Braintree said:

I'll be staying in that area (Clinton Hill) next month.

Christ, this was over four years ago. Super fun and eventful week.

I was planning to go to Australia in June to see my newborn nephew. He'll be walking and talking before I get to see him. 

9 hours ago, dingformung said:

I've never been to Morocco and there is no good reason for that. I wonder how Corona affects future flight prices.

If you can get to Spain, take the ferry across from Tarifa to Tangier and then the new bullet train to Casablanca. It's super cheap and Morocco is amazing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of months ago I was still actually hopeful to visit China in January, but that has been now officially postponed after February, what with the pandemic situation in Europe and the prices for flights from Europe to China going absolutely mental for January. For April I could get pretty cheap deals for flights if I bought now.. 

Now it actually seems that even domestic travel in Finland might get difficult which might mean skipping all the family functions for Christmas.

Also accommodation in Lapland is ridiculously cheap now since foreign tourists are pretty much gone, so if the pandemic situation eases up in January I might go up there. Usually Lapland is so expensive in winter I would never travel there alone, but now it's ok at least in Finnish price scale. For example you can get a twin room in a spa hotel for less than 50€/night with the ski slopes 1.5km away.

• Like 1