IGNORED

s950tx16wasr10 [163.97][earth portal mix]

Guest jasondonervan

Guest jasondonervan

Acid in the jungle, in the in the jungle. So many funky synth lines to digest, masterful adoption of the amen was a given. DnB/jungle as genres have been hammered to death, but trying to fathom how Richard makes it all sound so new (and fun!) is a real head-scratcher. Six minutes just isn't enough, I'm already finding myself greedily wanting more as soon as the track has wound up. Calling it an album highlight on day one.

163.97 bpms of glorious turbo lush 'phex.

Guest chops727

Acid in the jungle, in the in the jungle. So many funky synth lines to digest, masterful adoption of the amen was a given. DnB/jungle as genres have been hammered to death, but trying to fathom how Richard makes it all sound so new (and fun!) is a real head-scratcher. Six minutes just isn't enough, I'm already finding myself greedily wanting more as soon as the track has wound up. Calling it an album highlight on day one.

super lush track, but do you actually know what amen means??????

coz it aint got any amen i can hear?

The combination of hyper edited classic breaks and fm basslines recalls Ceephax's TX tracks but richer and smoother, then it all goes mental towards the end.

I think this album is a grower not a shower - The first time I listened to it I was kind of disappointed, 2nd not so much - 3rd; in awe.
With that said; S950tx16wasr10 (Earth Portal Mix) is fucking mental! :music:

I wonder what the japanese bonus track sounds like.

Guest jasondonervan

The combination of hyper edited classic breaks and fm basslines recalls Ceephax's TX tracks but richer and smoother, then it all goes mental towards the end.

*snaps fingers*

I like your line of thinking with Ceephax. Elements of the second quarter of this track wouldn't feel out of place on something like Exidy Tours. I daren't call it a refined Ceephax style because Aphex is Aphex and Ceephax is Ceephax, but there's certainly some appreciable cross-over in there.

Guest bitroast

almost sounds like it could belong on the venus 17 EP alongside the squarepusher turbo drum n bass tracks, before the second half of the track kicks in and the song gets weird and aphex-y. :)

First part sounds like a remix of "Take A Pull Upon Me Spliff…", the rest sounds like the Tuss clones, very disappointed track was hopping it would sound mental going by Aphex's interview claiming he was going inside out with the S950. Not even close to Go Plastic.

chops727, on 18 Sept 2014 - 04:34 AM, said:

jasondonervan, on 18 Sept 2014 - 04:29 AM, said:

heh, since you appear to have a good ear for breaks, which ones was he using on Xmas Evet10 and Produk29?

vasio, on 22 Sept 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

Not even close to Go Plastic.

thats not how squarepusher claims he programmed his breaks on that album right?

earth portal mix sounds like the most straight up homage to classic jungle he's ever done to me, i dont think he meant it to be some crazy squarepusher level drill song. The most recent breakbeat sample based tracks Aphex has made including the ones on Rushup Edge don't sound too crazy to me, they're just really catchy and flow really smoothly with lots of subtle changes.

heh, since you appear to have a good ear for breaks, which ones was he using on Xmas Evet10 and Produk29?

earth portal mix sounds like the most straight up homage to classic jungle he's ever done to me, i dont think he meant it to be some crazy squarepusher level drill song. The most recent breakbeat sample based tracks Aphex has made including the ones on Rushup Edge don't sound too crazy to me, they're just really catchy and flow really smoothly with lots of subtle changes.

Well that's the thing, only the first part is actually jungle and it's not even that interesting compared to what they were doing in 94-95. Go Plastic is next level jungle, not drill. Guess I was expecting too much after reading that interview. The breaks sound too clean too, I like how the old jungle records the breaks have a "sandy" quality probably due to the 12bit compression as well as the Akai S950 filters. He called this a jungle tune but it's a really poor attempt at one.

Also I can't believe he used that lickshot like that, major lol. So tacky.

it's a fun intresting take on jungle, using alot of the same techniques, but twisting it in way that has not been done before. love those deep subs in the second part, as other have mentioned.

Guest cult fiction

Well that's the thing, only the first part is actually jungle and it's not even that interesting compared to what they were doing in 94-95. Go Plastic is next level jungle, not drill. Guess I was expecting too much after reading that interview. The breaks sound too clean too, I like how the old jungle records the breaks have a "sandy" quality probably due to the 12bit compression as well as the Akai S950 filters. He called this a jungle tune but it's a really poor attempt at one.

Also I can't believe he used that lickshot like that, major lol. So tacky.

He used a akai S950, I suspect the 'sand' you refer to is just the old, cheap tape they used to record on

This is the sandy quality I was talking:

http://youtu.be/nOcH2ZOxris

Listen to the snares, they sound sharp yet the bass sounds round and punchy but not overly distorted, this is a sound that it's pretty much been replaced by the clean DAW/VST processing. They also all used the same Mackie mixing desks that colored the sound as well and yes tape compression of course.

Later when people were moving away from jungle into the "intelligent d'n'b" they used to filter the breaks and the bass on the Emus then used a 16bit Akai since the interface was easier to use apparently.

Was hoping for some next level jungle instead of yet another Tuss leftover, why the 909... yet again?

Anyway doesn't matter, it was just a comment on how the track is too safe and too clean sounding.

just if anyone was wondering the break in this track is not the 'amen' but its actually the 'think' break! The snippet vocals in the breaks on this track give it away.

Super cool track though.

I agree the breaks sound super clean. but as everyone knows his signal chain for processing sounds is on par with commercially available recording studios

s950>>>>pre-amp>>>dynamics (most likely the API 4 band eq and the API 2500 compressor) which is a beaut of a compressor!

Archived