IGNORED

Which DAW does WATMM recommend?

Twelvetrees

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started doing that after that one actually, but it's hard to be organized when you're in the zone.

Yeah to be fair it's a hard practice to get into. I had to start because of work, but now it's so ingrained I do it without thinking in about half a second as I'm going along.

When I first started mixing tracks I used "Nero" packages for recording (wave editor and nero soundtrax) which is not DAW at all, but I could work with instruments and samples... It's just some "entry" low level experience I had. Then I started working with FL studio, which is great DAW, IDK why people hate it so much (i don't even find the name that funny). I used it for a while (2-3 years) recording rock-alternative-metal-electronic-cybercore music. Than I moved to LogicPro and still using it right now. I love LogicPro, great sequencer with great libraries and comfortable interface. But yeah, as people here already said, it comes from the ear and only depends on you not on soft you're using (although knowledge matters, but you can do same thing with all DAWs)

As the overwhelming majority of plebs on here (and the internet as a whole) are not anywhere close to being artists or musicians, but instead are barely functioning men-children playing a computer game that allows them to move coloured blocks about on screen and make magic sounds, with the idm-bumpkins of watmm being one step up the food chain from the gearslut midwestern shithole how do I sound like deadmaus simpletons, with added misandry, self hatred and self diagnosed de rigeuer brain fuck, I'd say it's not that important.

Which DAW do I recommend? The one with the prettiest colours.

I know this is supposed to be a troll/lol post but I have to say that I have no idea how you measure "anywhere close to being artists or musicians." It's hard enough to make decent tunes, at least some people are trying, why contribute to the self-hatred? Not enough real magic sounds out there ffs.

Oh sorry, what I meant to say was "lel."

True enough that it's not that important what you use, though.

As the overwhelming majority of plebs on here (and the internet as a whole) are not anywhere close to being artists or musicians, but instead are barely functioning men-children playing a computer game that allows them to move coloured blocks about on screen and make magic sounds, with the idm-bumpkins of watmm being one step up the food chain from the gearslut midwestern shithole how do I sound like deadmaus simpletons, with added misandry, self hatred and self diagnosed de rigeuer brain fuck, I'd say it's not that important.

Which DAW do I recommend? The one with the prettiest colours.

your usage of concepts like 'artist', 'musician', 'men', 'children' etc. indicates a rather reactionary weltanschauung or progressive trolling skills. or both.

Jeskola Buzz is definitely the most userfriendly. It's great for starting, anyway. You can get into the whole production terminology and don't have to bother with a confusing interface, because everything makes perfect sense first try.

What I like most is the way it mimics a real studio, with the generators connecting to the effects and everything ultimately connected to the master, in a mind-map-like manner.

Really? I love Buzz, but I generally tell newcomers to production to avoid it since it's so archaic and buggy even with the new updates. It might be more user friendly compared to something like PD, but I don't think it's anywhere near as user friendly as Ableton or Reason.

And I would say it's the furthest thing away from an intuitive interface. I had to read the manual when I wanted to learn it (cough 14 years ago cough).

Buzz seems quite intuitive if you're from a tracker background - which when it was first released may well be the case but nowadays not so much! For me the challenge was not enough visual tutorials - I had one article on Computer Music magazine and then had to blindly guess the rest.

In comparison the 18 months of learning Ableton has been a breeze - every time I have a production workflow query there's bound to be an Ableton video on Youtube about it. Even nowadays the Buzz videos on there are far and few between

It's a shame as it's bloody ace - and served me well for over 10 years. Alas time hasn't been kind on the ol' fella...

Buzz seems quite intuitive if you're from a tracker background - which when it was first released may well be the case but nowadays not so much! For me the challenge was not enough visual tutorials - I had one article on Computer Music magazine and then had to blindly guess the rest.

In comparison the 18 months of learning Ableton has been a breeze - every time I have a production workflow query there's bound to be an Ableton video on Youtube about it. Even nowadays the Buzz videos on there are far and few between

It's a shame as it's bloody ace - and served me well for over 10 years. Alas time hasn't been kind on the ol' fella...

I do miss Buzz, only for the weird experimentation that is possible thanks to the custom machines and the routing capabilities—Renoise doesn't inspire that kind of IDMness for me (it makes me gravitate more towards Amiga/demoscene/80s sounds). I might have to boot up my old PC laptop again and do some playing around with it!

OctaMED ftw

Have to use Octamed 3 on the 'ol Amiga atm to load some old mods as I can't get protracker to work. There is something about using old software, stuff you get now that didn't make sense as a kid as you didn't understand the jargon and trial and errorred through a program.

Live, Bitwig, and FL are the ones I've successfully used*... FL has the most in common with my workflow (writing in a jammed out linear way no skimp on the afterthought microedits) but BW is coming into its own pretty quick -- looking forward to how it develops

*Live I misappropriately use as a an arrangement window, which is its weak spot (cubase would be much better for this if I had ever bought it and learned it); Bitwig is great but only recently, as in the last few weeks, beginning to show promise - I bought in on 1.0.0 and it kinda sucked. I almost sold my copy but held on and it's beginning to pay off. Look up the 1.1 bitwig videos to see what's up, it's quickly becoming my go-to electro workspace; FL i used as a beginner some ten years ago and loved the workflow in general, but never made any electro/acoustic stuff with it, I liked the blocky and linear feel of it back in the day, and i think it's come a long way since then and has those life-time free updates or whatever...

I'd also recommend Reaper for the combined price and functionality, and Audiomulch for the live improv fun you can have (if that's your thing).

I'd recommend Logic if I had a mac and had ever used it, seems like the perfect DAW imo. I'd also recommend five12's numerology (as a DAW accompaniment if nothing else) if I'd ever used it, that shit looks amazing.

I'd also recommend Reaper for the combined price and functionality

I am working with Reaper now, after deciding more than a year ago to give it (and musicmaking in general) a go.

this is me, basically

545434ed932ec13dbeda299a146909faf30edf0a

Guest fiznuthian

Currently all the devices in Bitwig were developed on a modular back-end that right now is not open to public, but in the next version release is planned to be opened up, turning the DAW into a modular environment as well. As it stands already, Bitwig offers a workflow very similar to Ableton Live but with some useful and interesting additions, a lot of which people have been whining for and Ableton won't deliver because it's codebase is too big.

Here's what it looks like:

native-modular-system.png

I figure this could end up getting really interesting.

Guest fiznuthian

It sure could - If this was shown on first release I'd have been tempted to get that instead of Ableton + Max, but never mind ! (hindsight is a terrible thing)

I understand :)

I'd also recommend Reaper for the combined price and functionality

I am working with Reaper now, after deciding more than a year ago to give it (and musicmaking in general) a go.

this is me, basically

545434ed932ec13dbeda299a146909faf30edf0a

lol, that's how i felt. it can do so much but i could do so little. still a great bargain, just gotta put in the time

I used to love tooling round with Cool Edit Pro, before I got into midi/sequencing. I watched a vid with Nathan Fake building a track with Cubase but he use Cool Edit for adding nice reverbs and other FX.

Reason 4 was a lot of fun too, that interface really encouraged me to explore making and combining different sounds and adding bizarre FX chains. I left it to learn Logic because I needed to be able to record acoustic instruments, but it's nowhere near as fun or intuitive in my opinion. Ultrabeat is a great sequencer, makes making beats a joy, loads of great drum samples too. The synths aren't as nice though, and the real instrument samples aren't as good as reason either, in my opinion. I can't be bothered spending loads of time testing out VSTs basically.

Logic X looks a lot nicer than 9, and the new vintage synth you get with it looks good. I think the important thing though is to learn a DAW inside out, so your sounds aren't dictated by the software, you just know how to get the sound in your head.

I read an interview with Jon Hopkins and he uses Logic with Soundforge running on a Windows emulator - because he's mastered it basically and knows how to get what he wants. Interestingly, he does everything in using 16bit audio, rather than 24 - because it's meant to sound better.

PS Hammerhead was fucking rad.

Archived