IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

Sidenote: associating hate and violence with mental illness only serves to stigmatize people who have mental illness. 'sane' people murder eachother every day.

Christ, good point.

I dunno, I disagree (is that post in jest? [autism intensifies]). Sane people murder each other too sure, but IMO pointing out that mental illness can lead to violent acts is not a harmful discussion - for one thing it's true and doesn't need to be swept away, and it also reminds us that we really do need proper rehabilitative systems, not just pharms & jails.

Edited by luke viia

^All comments are true here...but some, the general population in America I'd say, use 'he was insane' as an end-of-discussion excuse for why someone became violent, and often no matter where said attacker was on the mentally stability chart. I don't think anyone here necessarily is taking that route, but it's a thing worth considering when the discussion arises.

Oh westboro....

Westboro Baptist Church to protest at Orlando shooting victims' funerals

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2016/06/16/westboro-church-protest-orlando-shooting-victims-funerals/86013966/

the protested my little brothers funeral.

assholes

Oh westboro....

Westboro Baptist Church to protest at Orlando shooting victims' funerals

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2016/06/16/westboro-church-protest-orlando-shooting-victims-funerals/86013966/

the protested my little brothers funeral.

assholes

Shit mate. I know it's cold comfort but be assured that if the hell they believe in exists, these fucks already have a one way ticket there.

I bet a lot of Americans would reject the notion that a shooting with 6-7 victims and no fatalities is a mass shooting.

Edited by doublename

Lol the comment on that article

"Talk about American Exceptionalism. No wonder the Republicans don't want to deal with gun control. This is one of the few areas in which we lead the world."

made me laugh.

Also, the roid-bro yelling about building him a wall is pretty much 40% of the guys I knew in high school all grown up.

Edited by Audioblysk

Guest WNS000

Sidenote: associating hate and violence with mental illness only serves to stigmatize people who have mental illness. 'sane' people murder eachother every day.

This is a complicated topic. You can argue that a state of mind that leads one to murder is not sane and is therefore a sign of (acute or long-term) mental illness or deep-rooted psychological problems not classified as mental illness.

It is a fact that some people are more/less emotionally stable than others and that should definitely be somehow considered when selling guns to people. So I wouldn't dismiss the argument but I also understand why you see potential to stigmatize people with mental illness in it. But that comes more from general ignorance about psychology in the general public. I mean, there are still many and many people not believing depression is an illness...

There should definitely be psychotests for gun owners IMO.

you are mental to kill someone in my opinion, maybe frontal cortex damage whatever.

most diagnosed mental people don't commit violent crimes, but are stuck in prison due to institutions getting shutdown, anyway.

id worry more about their risk of suicide. guns make it more likely

you can make a fortune in america serving food specifically target to the comfort of denture wearers. denture friendly food is like the umami of america.