IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

Not sure what the problem is. Seems to me that the people in charge of keeping US safe are well aware of the dangers. DHS report. FBI concerned. What more do you want? Or do you think those responsible aren't doing their job?

edit: also, the reason for there to be a taboo seems pretty obvious as veterans at one point put their own lives at risk to keep the us safe. doesnt seem obvious to single them out in public discourse. unless there's some epidemic of violence. which you don't seem to argue...

Edited by goDel

I think the point is we need to do something about mental health, and by extension, gun control. But we just took a step backwards on that, so I'ma just cartwheel through a hail of bullets into a Chick-Fil-A.

Not sure what the problem is. Seems to me that the people in charge of keeping US safe are well aware of the dangers. DHS report. FBI concerned. What more do you want? Or do you think those responsible aren't doing their job?

I don't see law enforcement as the solution to any of the underlying issues of mental health and re-integration into civilian life. They aren't responsible for the waiting lists in mental health facilities, civilian job placement or other social services.

I guess my problem is with the way that report was instantly turned into a political football and portrayed as an attack on veterans -- to the point that DHS had to issue an apology for doing its job too well. That kind of atmosphere makes it difficult to have a public conversation of how to prevent/reduce radicalization in the first place, because acknowledging its existence can cost you your political career in some states.

IDK... I'm the furthest thing from a screaming eagle superpatriot military cheerleader, but how many untreated, alienated, unemployed and (in some cases) undereducated men with weapons and explosives training do we want in this country?

Edited by doublename

edit: also, the reason for there to be a taboo seems pretty obvious as veterans at one point put their own lives at risk to keep the us safe. doesnt seem obvious to single them out in public discourse. unless there's some epidemic of violence. which you don't seem to argue...

That's exactly how this issue is needlessly politicized. I'm not suggesting they be singled out or detained at airports. I'm suggesting that the failure to re-integrate veterans into society leaves a tiny percentage of them susceptible to radicalization. Most of the examples I mentioned are guys who thought the government fucked them over in some way.

For all my distaste for the romanticization and worship of our military, I'm putting the onus on government to hold up its end of the bargain with the people it parades around as heroes and paragons of American virtue.

Edited by doublename

http://boingboing.net/2017/02/24/immigration-authorities-detain.html

The adult son of Muhammad Ali, the late Muslim-American boxing star and civil rights hero, was detained for hours at a Florida airport by U.S. immigration officials, the Courier-Journal reports.

“To the Ali family, it's crystal clear that this is directly linked to Mr. Trump's efforts to ban Muslims from the United States,” said a Chris Mancini, identified as a “friend and lawyer” of the Ali family.

Is there any way for this country to have a rational discussion of the idea that (a tiny, minuscule, really very small number of) veterans may be a may be a national security threat? This latest shooting, the beltway sniper, McVeigh, Terry Nichols, Nidal Hassan, Wade Michael Page (Sikh temple shooting), Frazier Glenn Miller (Jewish center shooting)... Lee Harvey Oswald.

don't forget the sniper in dallas that killed 5 cops last year, also a vet. 

are they really any more dangerous than the rest of the population?

there's millions of vets. millions. i wonder what percentage of them get "radicalized" and become motivated to violence by politics and ideological hoohaa? 

i know there are many vets with serious mental health issues but i view this as a separate thing. post war PTSD, drug addiction from over prescribed meds etc.. 

there are cross sections to sort out.  how many of these people are just depressed addicts with PTSD and how many are a dangerous bunch wanting to take action based on politics? 

there are loads who commit suicide. the numbers are shocking. 

Edited by ignatius

US Confederate flag pair jailed over threats to Georgia black family

Jose Torres, 26, and Kayla Norton, 25, both wept as the Douglas County judge handed down sentencing on Monday.

They will serve 13 years and six years in prison respectively, local media report.

[...]

The couple are among four who were charged with performing criminal acts, the other two pleaded guilty and are serving shorter prison terms.

Torres and Norton were found guilty of threatening to kill some of those attending the child's party while shouting racial slurs at children.

Torres was said to have been carrying a shotgun, according to prosecutors. He was sentenced for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and for violating Georgia's street gang and terrorism prevention laws.

Norton was found in violation of the same state laws and was sentenced for threatening behaviour.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39114166

_94875764_atlantacouple1.jpg

Edited by doublename

They're getting all weepy because they're being punished for making threats? You reap what you sew dipshits. Quit pretending to be victims.

Edited by ambermonk

Imagine how cool America would be if like, society, was like, ya know, different. Education reform pls. *kills self*

^Speaking of which, this fucking guy, christ:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39221092

I hope that in the near future that the climate denial by the likes of ol' Whitey here is seen for what it is - throwing civilization under the bus (including their own progeny!) for a quick couple hundred billion bucks - and that the perpetrators are dealt with accordingly.  That this guy is head of the EPA is fucking depressing as fuck.

Edited by Bob Dobalina

i honestly feel like climate denial will be like holocaust denial: you'll always have some asshole denying it happened. they'll claim it's a conspiracy and yada yada. people have a hard time accepting when they're wrong and will look for any avenue that supports their theory.

https://youtu.be/cv_tQgd0nFI