IGNORED

Scarlett Johansson to Headline ‘Ghost in the Shell’ Live-Action Movie

Braintree

og ghost in the shell is boring imo. perfect blue beats the shit out of literally all anime from that time period.

hrm... not sure whether i'd called ghost in the shell boring. i remember when it came out it was somewhat disappointing because it was soooooo short. imo this was the first anime to seamlessly blend cgi and animation in a way that felt "realistic" and complimented the story- only there was very little of story.

i watched a special preview (basically 15 min) and this doesn't look good. one thing is scarlett johansson just looks awkward. it's like her head is too big and her fight scenes are meh. another thing is that in the original anime film, the major's eyes are both mysterious and sympathetic- but johansson doesn't seem to have that range so it ends up being a by-the-numbers "let's do that scene from the anime because everyone will want to see that"

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comparing Perfect Blue to Ghost in the Shell is like comparing Fight Club to Blade Runner. They're completely different.

^^ so was the director. you know he thought the original anime was "too philosophical and too introspective" and even admitted that's what people like about it but said it couldn't be remade like that frame by frame. 

so this was never meant to be a sincere adaptation but rather an experiment to see if it will sell since the property rights had been purchased and those monies needed to be recovered somehow before they lost the rights. good news is at least they'll be a bunch of "fake" fans of the original claiming haters just can't shut up and enjoy the eyecandy special effects

it does look visually pretty deece. P much agree with Nebraska, seems like a toe in the waters of western adaptations of adult manga/anime (so not that dragon ball movie wolololo)

Next step is obviously Akira

Justin Timberlake was attached to an Akira remake like 10 years ago. It's only a matter of time (unless this tanks massively).

There were also some rumors about Leonardo DiCaprio being involved in remakes of Akira and Ninja Scroll, I think.

Edit -

'The new story, which DiCaprio will produce for Warner Bros., ideally would be a two-part epic, with the first movie coming out next summer. The action will move to "New Manhattan," a city rebuilt by Japanese money.' - Reuters, 2008

• 2 weeks later...

doesn't look half as bad as i expected to be honest. interesting and very contemporary interpretation of the aesthetics. i don't get what they did to the story tho. is this something like gits 1 (movie) + that story from the sac series?

worst part for me is probably the music. maybe it's just trailer music but it's seriously ugh. why does everyone in hollywood still think that fast strings + drum hits are cool? it makes everything sound like a you're watching a 3pm crime series slot on european public tv. and that guitar bend at the very end... srsly

I never understood how a crappy remake ruins the original. Can someone explain? From my point of view, the original doesn't change at all and you'll always have that, so who cares if a remake sucks. You're not forced to watch that version from that point on. Also, if someone attempts a remake, there's a chance it might be good and you'll then have two version to watch and enjoy. So if it's good, you gain something. If it's not, you lose nothing. What am I missing here?

I never understood how a crappy remake ruins the original. Can someone explain? From my point of view, the original doesn't change at all and you'll always have that, so who cares if a remake sucks. You're not forced to watch that version from that point on. Also, if someone attempts a remake, there's a chance it might be good and you'll then have two version to watch and enjoy. So if it's good, you gain something. If it's not, you lose nothing. What am I missing here?

The joy one gets from complaining about things.

Such thinking is due to a flaw in human time linearity perception.  For example, there are a lot of women who were absolutely beautiful when younger- and would probably be older-beautiful when older- but they decide to get a fuckload of cosmetic surgeries and start to look like some Area 51 shit.  "She ruined herself with cosmetic surgery!"-- in the surgery case, this comment is valid.  It's hard to justify that the surgery is okay, by stating that the mutant female's former self is preserved in eternity in pictures.  "It's not like my facial mutilation changed the photos of me from 30 years ago!"  So even with films, humans tend to think it's all connected in one conceptual entity.

But of course, it really brings to light the importance of realizing what "now" is, and that we are in fact not who we used to be-- we are who we define ourselves as on a daily basis.  ***NOW4EVER***

Archived