IGNORED

LEGO Appreciation Thread

Rubin Farr

On 2/7/2020 at 2:06 PM, thebotmakes said:

We had this in the uk last year, except it was a lot less showbiz.  ??? Still great though, I’m hoping somebody will show that version over here.

I watched the premiere episode of the US version - it's okay - neat to see the LEGO creations, but like most reality TV it focuses more on the characters (and they are so very much characters; these people probably aren't like this in real life) than the LEGO itself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That dude making his own 3-D printed giant Lego stuff must be ridiculously independently wealthy.

I made the Fiat 500 during the first week of quarantine.  Thinking of ripping down the Rube Goldberg contraption I posted earlier and building another one in its place.

IMAG3828.jpg

• Like 1

Also, I have these 3 sets in pieces from when I was a kid.  They got so dusty and dirty sitting in my parents' basement, so I took them completely apart for cleaning.  I guess I could clean them and put them back together.

download.jpg.570760d0a28cfebe86573b6c999cb7dc.jpg271206658_download(2).jpg.82e014c6ba7f24c9da6999e53b245016.jpg1746300654_download(1).jpg.9cdc225a836f500e47fdbd66ab97a8e1.jpg

Ok maybe Randomsummer's post above answers my question but I still wanted to see what others thought too - did you all have a ton of Lego kits as a kid?

I think we had a few, but we mainly had a huge bucket of just blocks and we had to build our own stuff out of them. Maybe I'm just getting old but it feels like the "kids these days" only get kits but don't play a ton with them. I need to know if I'm wrong - LOL. Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Dinobeats said:

Ok maybe Randomsummer's post above answers my question but I still wanted to see what others thought too - did you all have a ton of Lego kits as a kid?

I think we had a few, but we mainly had a huge bucket of just blocks and we had to build our own stuff out of them. Maybe I'm just getting old but it feels like the "kids these days" only get kits but don't play a ton with them. I need to know if I'm wrong - LOL. Thoughts?

I had both, I had a ton of sets and also a big wooden box of miscellaneous blocks to play with.  A lot of the pieces in the misc. box were of old sets that I had taken apart probably because of lack of storage space.  You don't have a lot of display space when you're 10, lol.

A lot of my early sets were town / space sets, then I moved to primarily Technic as I got older.

• Like 1

That's pretty cool. I think the sets we had (and by we I mean my brother had the sets who you'd have to ask for special permission to even go near) were space related too. ? 

I don't think I've seen the Technic until now - it looks awesome though.

On 4/21/2020 at 2:18 PM, Rubin Farr said:

Anyone else doing LEGO kits in quarantine?  Post what ya built.

Building the connectable Hogwarts sets with my eight-year old, she's just read the books and is a massive Potterhead now.

As for myself, I've got a huuuge backlog of unbuilt sets. I haven't even built last year's modular yet, but I might start with Welcome to Apocalypseburg! or the 1989 Batmobile, I'm not sure yet.

First though I'll need to check if I got all the parts for that tensegrity sculpture. Might have to bricklink a couple of pieces.

81wAQqFpSaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

91KjLP8wkxL._SX679_.jpg

5702016110364_a_en_r458.jpg

lego-70840-apocalypseburg.jpg

lego-76139-batmobile-1989-1-678x381.jpg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, IDEM said:

As for myself, I've got a huuuge backlog of unbuilt sets. I haven't even built last year's modular yet, but I might start with Welcome to Apocalypseburg! or the 1989 Batmobile, I'm not sure yet.

you just outed yourself as insanely wealthy or some kind of psychopath. no sane human who makes less than 10 mil a year would purchase massive amounts of LEGO sets without immediately building them as they get them. 

?

Batmobile looks like a fun build

11 hours ago, auxien said:

you just outed yourself as insanely wealthy or some kind of psychopath. no sane human who makes less than 10 mil a year would purchase massive amounts of LEGO sets without immediately building them as they get them. 

?

Batmobile looks like a fun build

You have no idea, my friend.

Anyhoo, here are a some godawful pictures of our budding city. These are three years old, back from when we just shoved the buildings together to get an idea of the size and a possible layout, and it's gotten quite a bit bigger since (added a beach, a little bit of "ocean", 70620 Ninjago City and 780657 Ninjago Docks, which are both incredible sets, 21042 Architecture Statue of Liberty ...), but it's in even more disarray now (Lego and children just don't mix!), and I know if I don't post them now, I probably never will, so here you go. Please disregard the cardboard boxes in the background. ?

We also got a smaller, but very nice Ninjago/Asian setup in a different room, might post some pics when/if I get to clean that up a bit.

It's all great fun, I mean, where else can you have the Simpsons, Batman, the Ghostbusters, Mickey Mouse, the Ninja Turtles, Cinderella and a couple of Zombies all living (relatively) peacefully together in one city, united by love, the powers of imagination and a scale of approximately 1:40?

20170420_131720.jpg

20170420_131902.jpg

20170420_131804.jpg

20170420_132220.jpg

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Kudos

Thanks, but that's nothing, just a fun little hobby to share with the wee one. MOCs like @randomsummer's Rube Goldberg Machine are so much cooler, and one day I hope I'll build something awesome like that, but atm I just don'r find the time to plan and build anything bigger than a little vignette here and there. Work is keeping me quite busy, and I just like building official sets to relax, have a movie or some TV show running in the background, just unwind. But space is becoming an issue ...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, auxien said:

lol you weren’t kidding! awesome setup tho, surely fun especially with a kiddo ?

I'm afraid that's just the tip of the iceberg. ?

2 hours ago, IDEM said:

Thanks, but that's nothing, just a fun little hobby to share with the wee one. MOCs like @randomsummer's Rube Goldberg Machine are so much cooler, and one day I hope I'll build something awesome like that, but atm I just don'r find the time to plan and build anything bigger than a little vignette here and there. Work is keeping me quite busy, and I just like building official sets to relax, have a movie or some TV show running in the background, just unwind. But space is becoming an issue ...

Thanks.  The contraption I built as a kid was so much larger and cooler than the one I made now.  I just don't have the space to go hogwild now.  My favorite part is how there's no plan.  I just decide to start somewhere and it just comes together naturally.

• 4 weeks later...

VIP presale for 10273 Haunted House starts at midnight tonight. It's got a whoppin' 3241 pieces for 299,- bucks, so price/part ratio is actually pretty decent.

It's the latest addition to the Fairground sets, but at the same time the first one under the new 18+ line aimed at, well, adults. New box design looks really good IMO.

https://www.lego.com/en-de/product/haunted-house-10273

Also, you can currently DL the Ninjago Movie Game for free, which is pretty cool.

https://www.ttgames.com/2020/05/15/the-lego-ninjago-movie-game-available-free/

Edited by IDEM
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...