IGNORED

Roland Boutique?! [new synths]

Psychotronic

Guest bitroast

umm. i can't tell if its a matter of processing and just needing some xtra EQ to bring the new TR09 box out a bit.... but this video is pretty glaring as a straight up comparison. 

it's like comparing 96kbps mp3 to quality produce vinyl :^)

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah kinda sounds like the TR-09 has Dolby noise reduction turned on and the TR-8 has "pop" EQ preset on it. they both sound shit compared to the real thing... I'd say my Novation Drum Station sounds better actually...not as bright as the TR-8, not as muffled as the TR-09.

conclusion: fuck all of this shit and get a Drum Station.

uf .facepalm not even a toy imo

i've never had the real 909 but good freind of mine has one and i remember how the size really had an impact on me when i tryed it, in a good way. some drum machines (or synths) should be BIG imo 

Yeah uh nevermind, that's pretty disappointing. I noticed in that other video with the ankh necklace dude that he had the hi hat cranked, and even without A/B-ing another machine it sounded really tame/muffled.

The boutique series visual design is a big improvement over Aira lineup, but, yeah, this just doesn't sound good. Also in aforementioned ankh guy video, I noticed that there's actually a pretty cramped little menu for editing additional params, and he was twisting that little tempo knob a LOT just to make fairly subtle adjustments. The scaling just seems to be really off on all the parameters, levels, etc. I hope for Roland's and users' sake that firmware upgrade will fix this.

Especially unfortunate for Roland because Korg is just killing it year after year.

The phattest 909 sounds I've ever experienced were from the Roland MC-303.

I dunno about authenticity (I think they just sampled their machines?), but the beatz were like a Jamaican sound system recorded to vinyl then transferred to cassette tape, then up-scaled to hologram.

Watched an ADSR video earlier comparing the original 303 with the new boutique and honestly the new one sounded better half the time. This was YouTube quality and I wasn't intensely critiquing via headphones in HQ or anything, but it didn't seem obviously shitty or anything. I've got no desire to buy one, nor did I before, just saying.

what a load of ass.

:cerious:

What are they doing... How does this compare to the TB-3, did they just stick the same emulation in a new box?

It all falls apart when they bring out the real 303 and start to program patterns with slides and accents (about 15 minutes in).

I'm quite surprised how unsimilar it sounds, honestly thought the modelling had advanced farther recently. It lacks the juice, spunk, bounce and spark. A/B tests can be merciless.

A/B tests can be merciless.

Which is why they should've done more of them during design and QA.

All 303s are different.  maybe their mother 303 was a really bad sounding one 

While people are still waiting for perfect sounding 303s and 909s for a tenth of the price of real TB-303s and TR-909s, some 15 year old kid is going to work a part-time job in between school to buy this cheap gear and make a hundred really awesome tracks!

I don't think those comparison videos are doing them justice, for what it's worth.. the 303 one started off pretty good but then they started comparing the two with different settings and a less elaborate pattern on the tb-03 so of course you're gonna think the real 303 sounds better.

As for the tr-09.. I think it sounds good. Having said that, at AU$649 I'm gonna pass, at least unless it goes on sale at some point. 

While people are still waiting for perfect sounding 303s and 909s for a tenth of the price of real TB-303s and TR-909s, some 15 year old kid is going to work a part-time job in between school to buy this cheap gear and make a hundred really awesome tracks!

This.

Or, rather, the kid who's finding different gear and being inspired to make new styles of music is much more interesting to me. Acid, as a genre or style or whatever, is pretty dull.

I don't think those comparison videos are doing them justice, for what it's worth.. the 303 one started off pretty good but then they started comparing the two with different settings and a less elaborate pattern on the tb-03 so of course you're gonna think the real 303 sounds better.

As for the tr-09.. I think it sounds good. Having said that, at AU$649 I'm gonna pass, at least unless it goes on sale at some point. 

yeah lol. i mean he just tapped in the same note 16 times randomly adding in glide and accent. of course it sounded like shit. but they do sound really thin when you start adding the distortion. do devilfish 303s sound lose that much bass too? you just add it back in post or summat?

Archived