• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

I'd hit it.

watmm_georm-kardanza.jpg

would def hit. 

keeping in mind though, original post said "HEAD".. not "FACE"

just need to clarify that before anyone decides 100% on buying the new synths based on this pic alone 

Seems that Roland is going the inverse direction that other companies are doing with building newer synths with analog parts. Looks like instead they're trying to tinker with advancing analog circuit board synthesis with digital synths, and using their hardware counterparts as benchmarks. Interesting direction and it would bring the price down significantly.

Apparently they are actually FPGAs, which may contain analog components. In which case, some aspects of what they do might not be possible in software.

I do agree that this is an interesting direction, and a more forward-thinking approach than loading up at the cheap analog buffet, even if it's not 100% software. And I also would like to hear more interesting stuff out of it. Are the Elektron analogs are employing similar technology? Some of the analog FM they can do, for example, seems pretty interesting.

Korg cornered the budget market, though, and it seems like their designs, inside and out, are a lot more friendly to tinkerers, hipsters, broke kids, etc. I think Roland is doing some interesting stuff here but to thrive they need to be a little less conservative and recruit fresh engineering talent like Korg did with Takehashi.

It's almost like Yamaha designs synths for baby boomers, and Roland for gen X. Only Korg seems to get millenials (and enjoy more cross-generational appeal). 

Roland is doing some interesting stuff here but to thrive they need to be a little less conservative and recruit fresh engineering talent

Roland synth department exec:  "We need to look to the future...  We need significant amount of gloss and green LEDs."

*several months later*

Roland synth department exec:  "What we need to do is make more 'boutique' items and have them share the same form factor, so we can push forwards our system on a chip technology."

*several months later*

Roland synth department board members:  "What's next?"

Roland synth department exec:  "Wait.....  What are we doing again?"

• 8 months later...

Guessing we are going to be seeing a price increase for the next boutique synth... tbf to Roland it looks like they're trying to go back into the 'right' direction (even if it does mean that they're just buying out a small company and getting them to make the synths for them) I'm going to guess £699. 

Guessing we are going to be seeing a price increase for the next boutique synth... tbf to Roland it looks like they're trying to go back into the 'right' direction (even if it does mean that they're just buying out a small company and getting them to make the synths for them) I'm going to guess £699. 

$499

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2017/06/20/did-roland-just-release-a-new-analogue-synth-/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=sonicstate

Looks like I'll be buying myself a boutique then. Dang.

My psychic powers tell me that, if Roland is indeed going the discrete analog route now, the ACB synths will in the long run be a short blip that lasts a couple of years andthen fades away forever, and in about 20 years time a cool "retro" setup will be a trio of ACB synths and an Akai Rhythm Wolf (but nobody will be able to afford a Rhythm Wolf at 2037 prices).

My psychic powers tell me that, if Roland is indeed going the discrete analog route now, the ACB synths will in the long run be a short blip that lasts a couple of years andthen fades away forever, and in about 20 years time a cool "retro" setup will be a trio of ACB synths and an Akai Rhythm Wolf (but nobody will be able to afford a Rhythm Wolf at 2037 prices).

lol

"This is everything analog was meant to be; this is the all in one analog dream machine."

3 Oscillators + built in FX for $500? Color me skeptical. They had to have cut costs massively on something; I'm betting on the filter

"This is everything analog was meant to be; this is the all in one analog dream machine."

3 Oscillators + built in FX for $500? Color me skeptical. They had to have cut costs massively on something; I'm betting on the filter

All SMD construction, inexpensive pots and switches, and economies of scale could definitely do it.

Archived