IGNORED

Rustie - EVENIFUDONTBELIEVE

I've never been that much into Rustie, only listened once to Glass Swords in its entirety (gave me headaches), liked Green Language a little bit more (even tho it took me a while to really enjoy Raptor).

But that album, upon first listen, is very very good.

Also, I really like the fact that it's been surprise-released, without any rap collab or anything like that. Green Language somewhat felt a little too overthinked.

Green Language wasn't my thing, tbh. I might give this one a go, but imo he took the wrong direction after Glass Swords. It had hints of cool prog solos that would have been amazing if he'd developed the style, but I guess the kids just want trappy shit

Eh... maybe it's my commute headset, but for now: this is really really unpleasant sonically. Some of the tracks are approaching happy hardcore levels of cheeziness. Yeah, cheese and busted speakers all up in this anime supermarket

Glass Swords was awesome, as the Sunburst EP... but yeah, Green Language was definitely a step in the wrong direction for me. Luckily it sounds like he's back on track now? I listened to some samples and it seems that way... has anyone bought & heard the whole thing? I'll hold off on buying this until I read some more impressions.

As for the cheeziness, hasn't he always been about that?

Not sure why/how Rustie is even on Warp.

He's not experimental, forward thinking in any way, or indicative of quality like most warp acts. Listened to the samples on blerp and they were kind of shite.

He's not experimental, forward thinking in any way, or indicative of quality like most warp acts. Listened to the samples on blerp and they were kind of shite.

There are many less experimental and less forward thinking acts than Rustie signed on Warp anyway !

There are many less experimental and less forward thinking acts than Rustie signed on Warp anyway !

Really? Can you give me a few examples? I don't know all of warps roster but I'd say Rustie and Darkstar are the least forward thinking or experimental acts on warp I can think of.

Not that those are criteria to be on warp, but those are the reasons I typically buy warp material.

Future Brown, Darkstar...

Hud Mo and the side project TNGHT aren't more "forward thinking" than Rustie as well. They might not be at the avant-garde of contemporary electronic music but they brought something to their respective music genres.

Then again, to each his tastes :beer:

I actually streamed the whole thing last night on rdio and thought it was pretty damn good! Will probably pick this up for sure.

If you liked Glass Swords I would say this is more of the same. That cover though...

This album eats Green Language alive. I've dug Rustie in the past for his vibrant complex work, this has quite a bit of that. He will never make shit like he used to, but this stuff is up there no matter how EDM or flamboyantly titled it is.

So I'm the only one that thinks it sounds like it's being played back on a couple of blown out music angel speakers?

Really? Can you give me a few examples? I don't know all of warps roster but I'd say Rustie and Darkstar are the least forward thinking or experimental acts on warp I can think of.

Not that those are criteria to be on warp, but those are the reasons I typically buy warp material.

This is my take. Warp Records is not what it was. They are absolutely dead to me. In the nineties they defined and changed how I felt about music. I fell in love and eventually was led to other labels to follow (you know the ones) while still buying everything Warp released. They could do no wrong. Today Warp Records is a label doing what they want, be it something I couldn't care less about if I tried. I am done being mad and or retropective about it. I find the music I like elsewhere. If Plaid, Aphex, Squarepusher etc...release new music I will hear about it independently without getting the news from annoying emails from Warp about the newest tinny shit sounding trap/pop/r&b tinged garbage. More power to Warp, they will do what they do, but don't think for a second we will ever have new signings to that label that are anywhere close to what made them special in the first place. There is no such thing as "We are reasonable people" that label is gone. Feel free to disagree, agree and discuss. These are my thoughts and I felt like sharing, seemed to be the right place to do it.

Sidenote...Didn't RDJ show some displeasure about Warp not being able to stealth release his new EPs last year? Nice to see they will do it for Rustie...then again he could have had this deal set up for months, who know? OUT.

Sidenote...Didn't RDJ show some displeasure about Warp not being able to stealth release his new EPs last year? Nice to see they will do it for Rustie...then again he could have had this deal set up for months, who know? OUT.

Oh they definitely have had this deal set up for months.

Just wanted to answer to this, other than that I have no interest in this shit at all.

I don't think this was particularly set up. I think Green Language did so horrible that instead of completely being overlooked, they were like QUICK THROW YOUR SCATTERED BANGERS TOGETHER AND LETS DROP SOMETHING. AND DEFECATE ON A PIECE OF PAPER N CALL IT THE ALBUM ART.

Rustie is possibly the worst of the 21st century trap-era Warp signings. Chipmunk vocal neon vomit for early teens to use in their Call of Duty headshot montages.

How the mighty have fallen.

Maybe this is why the 'techre has their own bleepstore page now, so they can release music without having to be associated with this garbage.

Archived