IGNORED

Andy Stott - Too Many Voices

My attitude toward Stott is general apathy punctuated by interest in occasional standout tracks. This album is on my download-someday list.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jumping on the "his not on my auto order list anymore" bandwagon.

I saw him last year at the Tinnitus show at the wick with Prurient and he went from being one of my favorite artists to someone I feel pretty indifferent towards. I feel like his new direction is leaving a lot of his older references of inspiration behind, inspirations that made his music unique and special. Like its still really well produced but it just doesn't have that foreboding omniscience that his early stuff was rich in.

huh yeah it's like the mystery's all gone

really like Selfish... and I adore the whole Milie + Andrea LP!

I dont like this modern music!
*shakes walking stick at clouds*

:trollface:

his music sounds like the sonic equivalent of vicious apathy

that isn't bad, right?

Not at all. I think it's why I like his music.

hehe sometimes i love our weird 21. century :beer:

anyway this l**ked early. and milie + andrea need more love here:

dope, cheers for this

haven't had a chance to have a proper listen to Too Many Voices yet aside from preview stream but it sounds lush so far

I really love this. More than the one before even? It's like Stott is getting into "digital" territories and tries out to fuse his formulas and sounds with pop music or something. I even like "Butterflies" now. Wow, what is happening?

I like Butterflies a lot better after giving the album a listen. It's almost like these belong in the same suit of sounds, so context is everything in terms of listening to the two tracks they released. I think some will be glad to know that there is some classic Stott lineage sewn into this LP, along with what seems like a new sound for him.

I like it so far.

Fuuuck, just checked the whole album on youtube. This is fucking class

Andy Stott album is really good on first listen.

Lush, dynamic album. Only stinkers for me are On My Mind (Main melody is way too cheesy) and the title track (Can we stop using choir presets in our "experimental music" please). Forgotten is absolutely beautiful, easily my favourite tune on this.

the title track (Can we stop using choir presets in our "experimental music" please)

I took this as a reference to Hosono's track, "Philharmony," especially after Andy cited YMO as an influence for this album. Here's the track, starts at 30:07:

[youtubehd]_6wwtZXGta8?t=30m8s[/youtubehd]

Really like this album though; was sold on it after watching the video for "Butterflies" honestly. The audio and video go together so perfectly, IMO. "New Romantic" is amazing as well; love the bell melody timbre paired with the distorted groove.

Gets better and better after every listen.

I haven't enjoyed Stott much the last 5 or so years, and I still can't believe I bought Faith In Strangers without listening to it first. but i'm actually liking this record a lot my first go through...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived