IGNORED

Andy Stott - Too Many Voices

He's not on my auto-order list anymore. Last one was complete drivel and the Millie and Andrea on had one great track if we're being honest. Luxury problems had an ironic title given the cost of ML releases.

We stay together and passed me by still the best covers, still the best tunes.

Anyway I'll listen to this on spotify

Lol @ modern love costs, indeed, never seen an lp under 25usd..

But really, drivel? I thought Faith in Strangers was a return to form, one of his finest. The title track in particular is imo the best track he's written. But most of all it refined the ideas he got started with on Luxury Problems, completing a proper evolution out of the "slower and deeper" endgame that his first 2 albums represent for me.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*continued

I mean fuck, I love his earlier albums/eps, but after youve made a track like this v v, where do you go from there? Faith in Strangers brought the goods on so many other levels that I now look forward to every stott release

also, his boiler room set is super dope

This is so true. Wish there was a recording of it without those dropouts in the middle but oh well I can deal.

His last two albums were okay but a little too polished for my taste, I'd bet my lunch that in a couple years time they'll be used for luxury car adverts and other shit like that. Would love to hear more of the raw dub sludge of Passed/Stay but by the sound of tings daat ship sail brahs :shrug:

Oh man what boring shit is this ! sounds like a simple drumkit demo track, where are his epic emotional moments ? his great drum arrangements (drmbass meets 4/4 ) and so on......

also very mainstream sounds, sure this is going to sell well

sort of agree.the track goes nowhere: voice is nice but meh. id also agree with lopez that while his 2 recent albums were good with great moments, it got old quick and I have no desire to really revisit, its great background music I guess and is nowhere close to his stellar 2006 to 2011 work.

I attended his show tonight at a festival, and it was good fun! However, I also don't understand the hype for him. The venue was full with a high proportion of people very enthusiastic about it, probably the highlight of the fest for many, surely. Certainly grimey, but I didn't hear any traces of YMO, DCD, or This Mortal Coil. The bass freq (which was kinda limited in variation and boring in its place in rhythm) seemed to be the attractor for much the crowd, so perhaps he's been incorporated into the EDM scene. Apparently he's using an Elektron Octotrack? I'd say he's pretty proficient with it. What I particularly liked was his use of hi-hats and handclaps - Really interesting rhythmically! But I don't expect much of that material on the album.

I attended his show tonight at a festival, and it was good fun! However, I also don't understand the hype for him. The venue was full with a high proportion of people very enthusiastic about it, probably the highlight of the fest for many, surely. Certainly grimey, but I didn't hear any traces of YMO, DCD, or This Mortal Coil. The bass freq (which was kinda limited in variation and boring in its place in rhythm) seemed to be the attractor for much the crowd, so perhaps he's been incorporated into the EDM scene. Apparently he's using an Elektron Octotrack? I'd say he's pretty proficient with it. What I particularly liked was his use of hi-hats and handclaps - Really interesting rhythmically! But I don't expect much of that material on the album.

Was he playing entirely new stuff? Missed his Project 13 night so last time I heard him it sounded mostly like LP/FIS alt takes and tracks that didn't make it on the albums. Fucking grade a night though, probably my favourite of last year.

Woman, i'm so tired of that *deep* slow-motion cuts, seriously drop that shit already. Or better keep using it as an amulet to keep away sharp and visual cutting edge observers.

Well that track did nothing for me on first listen, I don't know about grime and YMO influenced, sounded more like an R&B backing track to me.

Liked pretty much all of his 'b/w cover' work (haven't really checked out the others) except for Luxury Problems and I have to say that I am not in the least a fan of this new track. Sure hope the entire album won't be like the thing he's trying to pull off here.

• 3 weeks later...

saw him live 2 years ago, very nice, including bone shattering bass and massive beats

His show at Soup Kitchen is one of my favourite nights in recent memory. Great vibes in that room, he knows how to put on a set. His BR show was killer too.

this is really really good:

Mother of mercy, this is worlds away from Butterflies. I am loving both but wondering how they'll contrast on the album.

I was at the St John gig last Friday, first time I've heard him live. Little nervous as I initially didn't like "Butterflies", though having a few listens I've started to change my mind. Great gig overall, all of the support acts were on point too, the Orson Hentschel set was wicked:

[youtubehd]guDm0KIjr3w[/youtubehd]

It took a short while for Stott to get into gear, seemed like the set was just material from "Too Many Voices". Bass heavy and very noisy. Crowd responded well to him, especially the chap sat next to me off his face on something or other. If the set was representative of the album then I will be happy, I just hope it keeps the grit of the live performance.

this is really really good:

Mother of mercy, this is worlds away from Butterflies. I am loving both but wondering how they'll contrast on the album.

Think he played a live version of this on Friday towards the end of the set.

I dont like this modern music!

*shakes walking stick at clouds*

Jumping on the "his not on my auto order list anymore" bandwagon.

I saw him last year at the Tinnitus show at the wick with Prurient and he went from being one of my favorite artists to someone I feel pretty indifferent towards. I feel like his new direction is leaving a lot of his older references of inspiration behind, inspirations that made his music unique and special. Like its still really well produced but it just doesn't have that foreboding omniscience that his early stuff was rich in.

Archived