IGNORED

Panama Papers

KovalainenFanBoy

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah but will he be prosecuted? resignation isn't enough, in fact if resignation will be seen as enough of a bone to throw then that's an added problem.

I'm expecting some huge ramifications in the Middle East, the Saudis are crooked as fuck. I wonder if North Korea, India and Pakistan will get outed as well.

Why would you lump those three together? North Korea has been "outed" but hardly a surprise, they've been under sanctions for so long they know how to work the shadow banking system. Also the British guy who gets named in relation to NK, nowhere near as dramatic as it seems.

Be much more interested in looking at the number of American/Canadian/British corporations and the number of dollars (pesos, what have you) their tax dodging has cost the people.

Meanwhile the Finnish government has a press conference on all the austerity measures they are planning, mostly affecting low-income workers, pensioners, students, the unemployed, the sick and the disabled. Not a word on the leaks where one of the largest banks have been implicated in arranging "tax planning" for hundreds of Finnish clients. Tax planning that costs over 1 billion in lost tax revenue to the state. And the right-wing government are eager to make it even easier to hide ones capital income with legislative change. The previous coalition, also right-wing, was also against an EU plan to regulate and shut down these sort of arrangements. Fuck this purestrain BS.

I'm expecting some huge ramifications in the Middle East

lol, no. the Saudi elite in particular are already known to have a penchant for drinking, whoring and gambling, in spite of being "custodians of the holy land". revelations of financial fraud are going to do nothing.

lol, no. the Saudi elite in particular are already known to have a penchant for drinking, whoring and gambling, in spite of being "custodians of the holy land". revelations of financial fraud are going to do nothing.

It might shake up the chain of succession, there are two guys jockeying to be the next king when Salman dies or abdicates, it's funny all pictures in the kingdom have all 3 of their faces on them, just to be safe.

India and Pakistan have rampant corruption in their societies, so it's just surmising some people have done shady shit with their finances.

It might shake up the chain of succession, there are two guys jockeying to be the next king when Salman dies or abdicates, it's funny all pictures in the kingdom have all 3 of their faces on them, just to be safe.

India and Pakistan have rampant corruption in their societies, so it's just surmising some people have done shady shit with their finances.

yeah, corruption is endemic to all 3, which is exactly why what we hope will be a shakeup will just amount to maybe a few head figures getting the chop and being replaced by others who are equally shady. systems in India and Pakistan are far too entrenched to be altered by something even of this magnitude, because it's basically an external situation (offshore tax fraud). if it were a local thing - say, bad governance of a national crisis e.g. an earthquake - then there would be more waves, but even those wouldn't fundamentally alter the power structure. having said all that though, India has a slightly better hope actually than Pakistan, because it is a bit more democratic.

I know this is cynical af but this is what I believe will happen. there are too many contrary voices and grubbing hands and too little robust infrastructure/governance to change anything in these 3 countries. that's my feeling. I hope I'm wrong.

lol I glanced at the front page of all the papers yesterday and the only papers with nothing about this were Express, Mail and Sun. Sun had gone with some story about a pregnant IVF sexy grandmother.

Guest WNS000

Being a total idiot on business law and economics in general, does being named in the documents necessarily mean that a person was into something illegal? I have read somewhere that not everything in the papers was illegal. Could somebody explain in a very simple manner?

Archived