IGNORED

Autechre production methods speculation

zlemflolia

• 4 months later...

Someone on the Ae subreddit (sorry if that's "the other place" these days lol what's xltronic?) made a decent approximation of some of the sounds of M4 Lema. For all I know this may be one of us. If it is, hey, cheers again, this was rad.

I have something insightful to add to this discussion: Autechre make their music with electronic equipment, particularly computers and software on those computers. 

• Like 2
  • Farnsworth 2

• 10 months later...

Surprised not to see this mentioned anywhere on the forum. Apparently sean posted some clips of the mythical System on his Mastodon (twitter alternative). There are two short jams and a picture of what looks like a compressor. Don't know how to link the videos directly so will have to link to the reddit posts:

image.thumb.png.c9793364545b0c25a79ea991a5bf1f6b.png

Aside from being pretty interesting to see, the jams are nice. Would like more clarinet in the future.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Burger 1
  • Big Brain 2

1 hour ago, misc said:

Surprised not to see this mentioned anywhere on the forum. Apparently sean posted some clips of the mythical System on his Mastodon (twitter alternative). There are two short jams and a picture of what looks like a compressor. Don't know how to link the videos directly so will have to link to the reddit posts:

image.thumb.png.c9793364545b0c25a79ea991a5bf1f6b.png

Aside from being pretty interesting to see, the jams are nice. Would like more clarinet in the future.

cheers, what's his handle?

This is really impressive to see (for an ae fan) but the system and the math is not what makes their music great…. Remember what gear they had in the early ‘90ies and how great the outcome was 

….and how many ppl had the silver elektrons, mpc1000 and nord modular and still no one came close to the level of untilted/untilted live and the quari series/quari live 

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, xox said:

This is really impressive to see (for an ae fan) but the system and the math is not what makes their music great…. Remember what gear they had in the early ‘90ies and how great the outcome was 

….and how many ppl had the silver elektrons, mpc1000 and nord modular and still no one came close to the level of untilted/untilted live and the quari series/quari live 

yeah.. their approach and just the autechre'ness of sean and rob is the thing. they have consistently made amazing stuff on whatever gear they happen to have around. when i found out that maphive 6.1 was just the little roland pma5 .. or how so much sampling was accomplished w/the rsd-10... or just the minimal stuff they had at different times etc.. it's awesome they've been able to keep doing what they're doing and any success they have is fuckn earned. 

also, the more ya hear sean talk about stuff the more it sounds like all the gear they've used... has gone into the emulations they've created in max.. emulating nords, emulating their own process for writing rhythms and all that.. "how can i do this thing i did w/that pile of stuff but only w/this bit of software" or whatever.. however that goes. it's really inspiring to me and has a "punk rock" ethos to it.. but probably early days hiphop too.. many of the early hiphop things were made w/minimal gear. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

Nice! That clarinet sounding thing is cool. Jazzband plays autechre :duckhunt:

That jam is upsettingly great. Reminds me a lot of the end of the second Barbican set, those big bass tones and scratching.

Damn I want that soundboard so bad.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, EXTRASUPER81 said:

That jam is upsettingly great. Reminds me a lot of the end of the second Barbican set, those big bass tones and scratching.

Damn I want that soundboard so bad.

when the bass comes in and that other synth part... ohhhh... 

• Like 1

Can't stop listening to that clarinet track, definitely one of the freshest sounds from them in awhile. 

I could believe it's a sound they created out of tuned feedback etc, but it has so many nuanced qualities of a real squeaking clarinet, that's pretty fuckin impressive if so. Could just as likely be sample manipulation ? I could be wrong, bear in mind I have no idea what I'm looking at in these vids :crazy:

Either way these tracks are sick and I can't wait to hear more! ?

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

Can't stop listening to that clarinet track, definitely one of the freshest sounds from them in awhile. 

I could believe it's a sound they created out of tuned feedback etc, but it has so many nuanced qualities of a real squeaking clarinet, that's pretty fuckin impressive if so. Could just as likely be sample manipulation ? I could be wrong, bear in mind I have no idea what I'm looking at in these vids :crazy:

Either way these tracks are sick and I can't wait to hear more! ?

they've done all kinds of squeaky physical modeling things over the years though. "is that a horn?" and it turns out it's the mc202 or something being weirdly sequenced. idk. their sound design is pretty stunning quite often. 

and not to jerk myself off but in this track i did some years ago is a feedback thing w/delay weirdness.. comes in about 1:20 and is sort of an artifact of some processing on the drums.. it meanders in pitch based on the feedback level mostly... but isn't nearly as rich and nuanced sounding as the thing sean has going in that clip.

https://ignatiusmusic.bandcamp.com/track/bessipl-2

i can see there being some really well thought out feedback machine in the sound design abilities of the AE system somewhere that's really capable of doing all kinds of stuff.  but it could be squeally fm sine waves or some freq shifting thing and we're all wrong. ? fun to think about though. messing around trying to make sounds i've heard somewhere usually leads to something totally different but also interesting. 

rambling as distraction because nausea :catsupine:

• Like 6

Yes indeed, I thought always that Milk DX track was a sample from Milk D rap and processed but It was not when I asked Sean..
It was all Yamaha DX100 pitch bend.. So sick! 

They know tons of tricks and stuff, Sean said before that he learn the gear he have 100% and that means exploring every aspects of it. 

I just don't understand how time consuming that is.. I guess they working very fast and effective with everything they have. 
RDJ got the question if he have tried the Polyend Tracker "Not at all, only played around with it little for 20 hours or so.."
20 hours is like nothing for them lol 

• Like 2

Looks like there's a "breath env" in there which is a +1 for the physmod hypothesis I'd say. But yeah I've had similar jumping around in pitch sounds from any random feedback loop with a chorus or something in it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, o00o said:

some very excellent music recommendations in  there 

this lp is incredible 

one of the best music recommendations in recent time 

thx @Sean Ae

Some that i like/agree with:

Edited by xox
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, o00o said:

some very excellent music recommendations in  there 

this lp is incredible 

this track aswell: 

one of the best music recommendations in recent time 

thx @Sean Ae

Thank you all for all the nice compliments about my album, really appreciate it!

• Like 10