IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

Went to vote today. Longest line I've ever seen on a early voting day and it was the second day of early voting in Texas. One of the poll workers said that particular location broke a record with over a 1,000 voting yesterday. I hope the traditionally lower turnout areas have a similar pickup in turnout. 

Went to vote today. Longest line I've ever seen on a early voting day and it was the second day of early voting in Texas. One of the poll workers said that particular location broke a record with over a 1,000 voting yesterday. I hope the traditionally lower turnout areas have a similar pickup in turnout. 

Was just watching last night's Maddow, Harris County (Houston area) reported 57K people yesterday on the first day of early voting, over double the last time (last time broke records of some sort too). Harris County is a bit of a weird mix of voters from what I've been hearing via Five Thirty Eight and elsewhere, lots of Rs who didn't vote for Trump, etc., very large county given Houston is one of the largest cities in America.

Looks like we may actually see some good turnout around the country, which is a great thing. 

You have me a little worried given you live deep in red country.

I'm not even finished with this Cracked article and feel the need to share it:

5 Awful (But Revealing) Examples Of Conservative Comedy

There were some classic Seanbaby moments in there and there was some truly unfunny shit on display... but I have a hard time believing this is the cream of the conservative comedy crop. There have got to be at least one or two funny blowhards out there.

PJ O'Rourke "A Parliament of Whores" is pretty funny - although he was a lot more moderate back then.

I work in NW central Austin. That neighborhood in particular is fairly blue upper middle class folks: older liberals, historically the Jewish neighborhood of Austin, etc. I think the republicans in the neighborhood are a significant minority but few are putting Cruz signs out. I live in SE Austin and it's a Dem leaning area but I would bet the turnout is a bit lower since it's a lot of Latinos in rural areas. 

Austin is one of the most gerrymandered cities in America, the GOP calls it this weird liberal bastion, and demographic wise it is Democrat majority, but of the 6 reps only one, Lloyd Doggett is a Democrat.

lossless-page1-1280px-Texas_US_Congressi

When I rented I was perpetually in some little finger of Republican district that stretched out to West or Central Texas. Even now my state level senator, a Democrat, is actually based out of Laredo. They basically took the historically Hispanic / Latino corner of Austin and lumped in with rural South Texas.

Edited by joshuatx

That's good to hear. Whatever people vote, I'd rather have them vote than be a bunch of nihilistic/cynical entitled bastards staying home complaining. 

Yeah, because the kicker in the last few elections has been that GOP turnout has been up - those who skipped on Romney or didn't bother to even go to the polls showed up for Trump, and likewise the Dem voters who skipped out b/c HRC was on the ticket and 2016 was such a shitshow.

It seems more of this recent turnout in Texas is voting for Beto and straight ticket Dem, because GOP turnout has already been pretty fucking high. The post-Obama Tea Party lobbying actually stuck around here via Empower Texas and other big money PACs. They ran all the moderates out and brought in the wingnuts and ignorant independents. People turning up as new voters seem pretty motivated to vote against the Republican status quo. No one is registering out of the blue to vote for Ted Cruz. Hell even a couple relatives I know who are Trump voters and Republicans are voting for the Democrat Lt. Governor. The former Land Commissioner, a lifelong Republican, endorsed George P. Bush's Democrat challenger.  I'm realistic that this election might very be the same old same old but it will be interesting and it will be closer than the previous cycles.

Edited by joshuatx

Kemp can take his campaign and shove it up his racist scheming ass.

In other news, George Soros found a bomb planted in his mailbox (but it didn't detonate AFAIK). So these MAGA freaks have pretty much forfeited their leverage in accusing Antifa and other leftists of violent extremism. Hypocrites.

Kemp can take his campaign and shove it up his racist scheming ass.

In other news, George Soros found a bomb planted in his mailbox (but it didn't detonate AFAIK). So these MAGA freaks have pretty much forfeited their leverage in accusing Antifa and other leftists of violent extremism. Hypocrites.

They never had any to begin with so there's nothing to forfeit, and they don't care about reality.  In fact they'll use the mailbox incident as evidence that democrats can't come up with anything so they plant false flags like this to try to find some dirt when there isn't any, then they'll all fall in line

who says it WASNT an extreme left wing terrorist...

I can think of a few better targets than George Soros for extreme left wing terrorists.

PM for list...

Trump: "Call me a Nationalist"

also Trump: "I'm proud of my German blood"

Incoming: "I'm proud to be white, go ahead and call me a white nationalist"

Edited by eczem

I work in NW central Austin. That neighborhood in particular is fairly blue upper middle class folks: older liberals, historically the Jewish neighborhood of Austin, etc. I think the republicans in the neighborhood are a significant minority but few are putting Cruz signs out. I live in SE Austin and it's a Dem leaning area but I would bet the turnout is a bit lower since it's a lot of Latinos in rural areas. 

Austin is one of the most gerrymandered cities in America, the GOP calls it this weird liberal bastion, and demographic wise it is Democrat majority, but of the 6 reps only one, Lloyd Doggett is a Democrat.

lossless-page1-1280px-Texas_US_Congressi

When I rented I was perpetually in some little finger of Republican district that stretched out to West or Central Texas. Even now my state level senator, a Democrat, is actually based out of Laredo. They basically took the historically Hispanic / Latino corner of Austin and lumped in with rural South Texas.

The word "gerrymandering" comes from people's reaction to Governor Elbridge Gerry's redrawing of a district in Boston in 1812. It resembled a salamander.

That looks like a salamander. Legit.

IED packages so far found at the homes of:

George Soros

Bill & Hillary Clinton

Barack & Michelle Obama

How fucking pathetic is the remains of that conservative party...

This is terrorism by definition. And to be clear I wouldn't condone this act against GOP politicians or affiliated well-known pundits or wealthy donors either, even if they are scumbags. Either way I hope the FBI are looking into this.

IED packages so far found at the homes of:

George Soros

Bill & Hillary Clinton

Barack & Michelle Obama

How fucking pathetic is the remains of that conservative party...

This is terrorism by definition. And to be clear I wouldn't condone this act against GOP politicians or affiliated well-known pundits or wealthy donors either, even if they are scumbags. Either way I hope the FBI are looking into this.

Well I mean, duh the FBI/Secret Service/etc are investigating. :P

CNN just had one delivered to their HQ in NY, addressed to John Brennan. 

I'm somewhat surprised the repubs initial response wasn't trying to weave this into some sort of conspiracy theory of the left trying to impact elections?

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

I'm somewhat surprised the repubs initial response wasn't trying to weave this into some sort of conspiracy theory of the left trying to impact elections?

they'll pander to it, they won't flat out say it

after all they also get away with critizing the left for not accomplishing progressive goals that the right-wingers oppose

ex. they'll oppose Obamacare and medicare expansion then blame Democrats for opposing Obamacare and medicare when the GOP makes cuts to both