IGNORED

New countdown, new release? [Aphex Twin Warp Store]

Time Tourist

8 hours ago, donquixote said:

F'ing chords is lush. That twatty fake instawank is posting again too.

(Apologies my hangover has left me incapable of dealing with aphex fakery. All is full of hate right now)

No idea who Permasteeze is, but I bought the EP and "MUFFDIVE95" is on repeat, love that track. Nice Electro vibe. There are definitely elements that pretend to be AFX also in the other tracks, but the whole release sounds too linear and digital to me. Richard's tracks are way more dynamic usually.

6 minutes ago, indulin said:

No idea who Permasteeze is, but I bought the EP and "MUFFDIVE95" is on repeat, love that track. Nice Electro vibe. There are definitely elements that pretend to be AFX also in the other tracks, but the whole release sounds too linear and digital to me. Richard's tracks are way more dynamic usually.

I was less referring to the tracks than the account itself. Convinced it's not Richie bach I am. 

....also just in a bad mood cos I drunk too much.

Edited by donquixote

15 minutes ago, donquixote said:

I was less referring to the tracks than the account itself. Convinced it's not Richie bach I am. 

....also just in a bad mood cos I drunk too much.

'Tis a very fiery EP to be fair. I've had it on a lot these past couple of weeks too. 7 YEARS is golden.

But yeah I'd put money down on it not being Rich. It's clearly lacking the trademark afx warmth and charm. Probs a mate, or a greasy hacker goblin.

4 hours ago, o00o said:

new dmx krew beats new afx for me: 

Nope this doesn't do anything for me. I got sick of the acid synth I think.... The only one that still uses it in an original way is ceephax imo. It makes the tracks just sound samey

On 11/16/2019 at 4:07 PM, d-a-m-o said:
On 11/16/2019 at 3:54 PM, Uros said:

New track added btw

Edit: I too wonder why the hell there isn't an option to download these separately :confuzzled:

in your account : go to track view, then you can add individual tracks to the zip.

u guys mean download individual songs or buy individual songs, cause i'm not seeing an option to buy them individually...

edit: oh i got it, you guys already bought this some time ago and now you just go to track view and download the new ones...

Edited by Tim_J

Also I don't understand why those new tracks sometimes get praise like it's the sickest shit he's ever done, they're clearly sketches. I think it's great he's  uploading these and I'm very thankful for it as it gives us a glimpse into his creative process and that tracks do not sound perfect from the start, no matter who makes them. It's really interesting for producers I would say, but compared to real final releases... I mean just take Syro or Collapse as an example :-)..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, indulin said:

Also I don't understand why those new tracks sometimes get praise like it's the sickest shit he's ever done, they're clearly sketches. I think it's great he's  uploading these and I'm very thankful for it as it gives us a glimpse into his creative process and that tracks do not sound perfect from the start, no matter who makes them. It's really interesting for producers I would say, but compared to real final releases... I mean just take Syro or Collapse as an example :-)..

to be honest id love it if he went further, be lush to hear a syro/collapse track as it built up over time, ive read  in some interview some tracks take him months. be great to get glimpses of the process from start to finish. 

edit: i do like the sketches tho. interesting to hear and inspiring as someone who only really finds the time to sketch himself due to job and family. 

Edited by donquixote
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, donquixote said:

to be honest id love it if he went further, be lush to hear a syro/collapse track as it built up over time, ive read  in some interview some tracks take him months. be great to get glimpses of the process from start to finish. 

edit: i do like the sketches tho. interesting to hear and inspiring as someone who only really finds the time to sketch himself due to job and family. 

Exactly my thoughts here!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, donquixote said:

F'ing Chrods is a badass sketch tho you gotta admit? 

It has the potential to become a great track for sure. I like the chords and that bassline coming in later is very cool!

15 hours ago, indulin said:

So the strategy worked! :tongue:

35 minutes ago, indulin said:
48 minutes ago, donquixote said:

F'ing Chrods is a badass sketch tho you gotta admit? 

It has the potential to become a great track for sure. I like the chords and that bassline coming in later is very cool!

I'm curious, do you guys actually rate syro and post syro stuff as his best work? (subjectively obv)

edit: or maybs better phrased: do u listen to his later work more than his earlier work? (I just wanna know if I rlly am a bit of an outlier in this respect).

Edited by MIXL2
clarification

I never think too much about what his best work is, really like pretty much all of it. I do tend to listen to his syro and post-syro stuff the most these days. I like his arrangement style in this stuff the best and feel like he has improved his ability to record and mix and use analog gear (not that his music was ever lacking in this regard, just imagine he got better with time). All the same I do hope for some mind-bending, harder-than-the-best tracks in the future, would be most excellent.

9 minutes ago, Drum Up said:

I never think too much about what his best work is, really like pretty much all of it. I do tend to listen to his syro and post-syro stuff the most these days. I like his arrangement style in this stuff the best and feel like he has improved his ability to record and mix and use analog gear (not that his music was ever lacking in this regard, just imagine he got better with time). All the same I do hope for some mind-bending, harder-than-the-best tracks in the future, would be most excellent.

Yeah that's why I wrote subjectively.. the discussion of what any artists best work is is very uninteresting.

I very rarely listen to syro and I think I have heard collapse twice, rlly isn't my cup of tea. I'm still stuck with a good blend of hab, saw, analord, tuss, mfm, icbyd, druqks, windowlicker etc + a lot of stuff from the sc dump.

Hell I listen to the analogue bubblebaths and cat023 way more often than syro..

Maybe that's just me idk.

/rant over 

30 minutes ago, MIXL2 said:

I'm curious, do you guys actually rate syro and post syro stuff as his best work? (subjectively obv)

edit: or maybs better phrased: do u listen to his later work more than his earlier work? (I just wanna know if I rlly am a bit of an outlier in this respect).

this is a good question, i guess for my opinion i have to break down a bit:

Is post Syro his best work?  Technically yes in many ways. like in terms of orchestration, musical chops, recording quality. i listen to it a think "yep still the king"

is it better than his old work: in some technical ways listed above however i do/did enjoy much of the earlier work more in terms of wtf. 

...for me he's one of the kings of electronic music. he's hardly ever made a bad record in the context of its time, in fact he generally makes the best records in the context of the time. his whole vibe is doing shit differently, so as much as id love SAW3, he probably shouldn't do it, cos doing what people want aint him. he makes great records imo period and there's something to enjoy in all of them.

also, a fan boy there cant be enough Aphex tracks out there for me. hearing the links between stuff like the fact one of these new field day tracks sounds like a proto collapse groove is kinda interesting. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, donquixote said:

...for me he's one of the kings of electronic music. he's hardly ever made a bad record in the context of its time, in fact he generally makes the best records in the context of the time. his whole vibe is doing shit differently, so as much as id love SAW3, he probably shouldn't do it, cos doing what people want aint him. he makes great records imo period and there's something to enjoy in all of them.

also, a fan boy there cant be enough Aphex tracks out there for me. hearing the links between stuff like the fact one of these new field day tracks sounds like a proto collapse groove is kinda interesting. 

I wanna make it very clear that whatever aphex decides to do is fine and that I'm not demanding anything, just talking about what we like that's all.

Maybs it has to do w syro n stuff not being out when I was a tru aphex fanboy n for that reson is his older stuff that still resonates more with me.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 7:47 PM, bandenoire said:

Has anyone else noticed that nearly all the vinyl and cds in the store are sold out? Fingers crossed they’re all getting reissued

That's just what Bleep (presumably) has in stock... I am sure there is plenty distributed elsewhere at other retail outlets.

23 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

That's just what Bleep (presumably) has in stock... I am sure there is plenty distributed elsewhere at other retail outlets.

They also don't have the peel session on the Phex store. This could mean nothing tho.

I've always wondered what the deal may look like on the store and what Richs cut might look like on bonus tracks. Sure he must get more than 50% as warp do eff all for their cut on the bonus stuff.

(Edit: Assuming he's on a 50/50 deal as that's standard. He ain't standard tho so might well get more than this)

Edited by donquixote

6 hours ago, MIXL2 said:

One of the biggest strength of Rich's output is the wide spectrum that it covers. In that sense, there isn't really any point of comparing Classics to Saw II to Drukqs to Syro, since they all represent totally different styles from each other. I tend to listen to post syro stuff as much as his other works from earlier periods. OK, of course there are some dispersion between the eras. So, in that sense I guess I like most his earlier output all the way up to 1995. And imho Drukqs is the best piece of written music in history so that's a no-brainer. But then again, compared to stuff that people occasionally tend to regard as the pinnacle of his career, such as RDJ/CTD and even Analords, yeah I prefer Syro & co to them. Especially Syro and Cheetah have special place in my heart. But is it his best stuff? Damn, if I had to choose my top five from the actual releases (not counting the dump because the comparison would be totally unfair)....

1.Drukqs

2. SOSW

3. ICBYD

4. Classics

5.....can't decide, could be Syro, Cheetah, CW LP or Rushup Edge. All in all, from all those nearly 900 separate tracks I've got, very few are bad. Again, that wide spectrum, man. Someone likes one era and next dude the other. So, as tired as it sounds, to each their own. Simply pick your favorite. lol, dunno if any of that even made any sense. :cat:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, donquixote said:

Sure he must get more than 50% as warp do eff all for their cut on the bonus stuff.

I wouldn't say that - the store has some neat features that even the Autechre store doesn't have (the random images, and diagnostic text), plus I highly doubt Richard himself is uploading these - probably a Bleep/WARPLord tasked with maintaining these stores with the latest from the artists.

18 hours ago, donquixote said:

I've always wondered what the deal may look like on the store and what Richs cut might look like on bonus tracks. Sure he must get more than 50% as warp do eff all for their cut on the bonus stuff.

(Edit: Assuming he's on a 50/50 deal as that's standard. He ain't standard tho so might well get more than this)

Is a 50/50 deal standard?

Either way, Warp do quite a lot - from pressing to distribution it is quite a task. Plus on top of that, they market the fuck out of stuff (Blimps, tube ads, instore visuals, music videos, etc).
The Bleep store is just a smart move by Warp as with any brand selling direct to consumer...You get the markup which record stores would normally take.

Maybe Rich does have a better deal than others but then he probably gives a lot of that leverage up as he does fuck all of the marketing side himself unlike other artists...No social presence, barely any interviews, etc.
Wasn't there an interview with someone from Warp who was saying that he is a nightmare on that stuff as he just wants to make music and nothing else. Could be wrong...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DucksOpinion said:

Either way, Warp do quite a lot - from pressing to distribution it is quite a task. Plus on top of that, they market the fuck out of stuff (Blimps, tube ads, instore visuals, music videos, etc).
The Bleep store is just a smart move by Warp as with any brand selling direct to consumer...You get the markup which record stores would normally take.

Maybe Rich does have a better deal than others but then he probably gives a lot of that leverage up as he does fuck all of the marketing side himself unlike other artists...No social presence, barely any interviews, etc.
Wasn't there an interview with someone from Warp who was saying that he is a nightmare on that stuff as he just wants to make music and nothing else. Could be wrong...

Just to clarify before it gets lost further. I was talking about the bonus track stuff:

18 hours ago, donquixote said:

They also don't have the peel session on the Phex store. This could mean nothing tho.

Edited by donquixote
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, DucksOpinion said:

Wasn't the blimp just a cleverly fotographed balloon though? (Doesn"t change anything about your point; just sayin'.)