IGNORED

Nine Inch Nails - Add Violence

Every time I see a new NIN release I spent about a min listening, confirm it's the same old template and then proceed to rock the shit outta Broken

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every time I see a new NIN release I spent about a min listening, confirm it's the same old template and then proceed to rock the shit outta Broken

This guy is new here, but he's still doing it right.

this one came up in the related videos list, and while it's kinda lame as a parody, holy shit, the re-creations of NIN clips are disturbingly accurate, as is his voice

Holy shit - his voice is just spot on ....

I would love to see him and Alessandro Cortini (and I guess Atticus Ross as well) playing improvised instrumental electronic music, maybe under a different name.. but that probably won't happen until he's in his 60s or something lol

Reznor's a great interviewee.  Always thoughtful and forthright.  Seems like a pretty cool guy.

Also, this EP is excellent.  I've listened twice, and have enjoyed it more than anything he's done post-Fragile.  Aside from the opening track, which is a solid pop song not unlike many he's done, each track has something unique to itself for a change.  And that's been what I've been missing from NIN for a long time.  Something as simple as writing in something other than 4/4 makes a big difference.  Noticed he put the two 6/8 songs side by side, which flows nice.  The production's really cool.  Sudden tempo shift on Not Anymore is interesting and unexpected.  Love the off kilter deteriorating loop bringing things to a close.  I managed to get immersed in the sonic landscape for the first time in a long time.  It's just a really solid EP the whole way through.  Nice one Trent!

Just noticed he was dipping into 6/8 on The Idea of You from the last EP as well.  Guess he's caught the bug.  Great drums on that track.  That EP sounds like the B-Sides to the new one.  Nothing quite as striking about it, though the sound is clearly cut from the same cloth.

I'll have to listen a few more times and try to power through the weird EQ decision.

Great interview as well, I always enjoy reading what he has to say, he's very intelligent and sensible, even if I don't believe his story about apparently not knowing that he was buying the Manson house lol.

The EQ on the second EP seemed fitting to me.  With the muted tones he's creating a claustrophobic atmosphere, and also allowing his vocals to cut through without needing to be upfront. The highs are more defined during certain guitar, synth or drum bits depending on where he wants the focus to shift.  It's working for me.  There was a lot more murk in NTAE that needed to be waded through.  Funny enough having the She's Gone cameo in Twin Peaks gave me a better appreciation for that song.  Still not a big fan of that EP overall, but it's not bad.

• 2 months later...

Not so keen on bumping an old thread back into the cold, clear light of day, especially one that most watmmers have pulled to pieces.

However I think this is pretty good release, especially compared to Not The Actual Events which preceded it, which was very iffy indeed.

That is all.

Archived