IGNORED

Do you live in an open carry state?

SCONES TO DIE FOR

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure more than half of the people in my state are packing heat, but very rarely have I seen civilians openly carry a firearm in public. Many of us carry bear spray though, including me.

So this happended a few months back in MI. The thoughts of these fine citizens is not uncommon. Sorry world.

So this happended a few months back in MI. The thoughts of these fine citizens is not uncommon. Sorry world.

you know the guy is white when he asks "are you gonna shoot me over nothing??" while carrying an automatic rifle at a police station. Also when he didn't get shot 5 seconds into the vid

you know the guy is white when he asks "are you gonna shoot me over nothing??" while carrying an automatic rifle at a police station. Also when he didn't get shot 5 seconds into the vid

heh. Yea, that outcome would have probably been a little different if they weren't. murica.

lol at walking around with an assault rifle

Pretty much this.

I see assault rifles every day (where I work borders with the perimeter of RAF Brize Norton) and I'm glad as fuck its only the soldiers that have these.

Like it says, do you live in an open carry state?

Do you regularly see people walking around with handguns or assault rifles?

No and no.

I live in a pretty normal country.

Thank fuck.

I see hand guns on people's' sides all the time. Rifles/assault weapons not as often.

Places I've seen people with sidearms over the years: grocery stores, corner markets, the bank, 5-year-old's birthday party at a public park, Ross clothing stores, local burger joint, swap meet, Wal Mart, Subway restaurant, post office, randomly walking down the street.

99% of the time the guy carrying looks like the last person on earth you'd want to play hero in some kind of situation.

Having grown up somewhere less insane than where I live now, it's still seems bizarre to me, rightfully. Sometimes I take a picture of theses guys to send to friends who can hardly believe it. This really is a strange country.

No and no.

Thank fuck.

No and no.

Thank fuck.

No and no.

Thank fuck.

I live in an open carry state but rarely see weapons being carried openly. There's a lot of guns in vehicles, though.

I get the feeling that showing off carrying a rifle or whatever is looked down upon by many gun owners in my state/Deep South generally. These people know hey don't need a handgun or an AR strapped to them to stop by Dollar General, and that doing so makes you a dangerous person who is just showing off. But they've still got it in their minds that if they need a gun, or many, there's one in the truck or a few dozen at the house...in case the gubment comes knocking.

Unsurprisingly my state is right at the top of states where accidental gunfire is a leading cause of death in children.

The Black Panthers exercised their right to open carry in Oakland California in the 60s and that brought about the Mulford Act:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act

Maybe if more non-white people decided to exercise their right to open carry in open carry states today, it would scare white Republicans to pass similar acts. As racist that type of solution would be anyway...

The Black Panthers exercised their right to open carry in Oakland California in the 60s and that brought about the Mulford Act:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act

Maybe if more non-white people decided to exercise their right to open carry in open carry states today, it would scare white Republicans to pass similar acts. As racist that type of solution would be anyway...

Open carry - white vs. black.

No and no.

Thank fuck.

No and no.

Thank fuck.

Here in my country you don't get randomly shot at by the police (police are carrying guns openly) so you don't need a weapon to defend yourself in the first place.

I was in china several times, police does not have any guns at all, only the army is allowed to have weapons. Also there's death penalty if you own a gun illegally (which is always the case if you are not a member of the army), which prevents people from selling guns via black market. Since they introduced these laws, heavy criminality is on a significant decline, as can't rob a bank with a knife. Also you would need some serious commitment to kill someone with a knife or a club while pulling a trigger is kind of easy.

To sum up my experience regarding the places i lived/visited:

- Germany: Police has firearms, doesn't use it, nobody cares about the police in the street, also there is way too few police on the street. This is why bigger cities like Berlin are really dangerous, as no one will help you (you'll get stabbed) and there's never police around.

- USA: Everyone seems to be afraid of the police, the first thing my coworkers told me when i arrived in california is how i should behave if i get pulled over, so that i won't get shot. Completely insane imho, that's just completely fucked up. 

- China: Police has no firearms at all, just small rubber clubs. They are trained how to disarm someone with a knife. There's more police in the streets than in germany. However, no one cares about police. Also, society is different, i actually witnessed a mentally ill person stabbing thin air with a knife in central Lanzhou. Folk circled him, insulted him and shouted for policemen, who arrived after couple of minutes. They just disarmed him and put him in a police car and drove away. 

Here in my country you don't get randomly shot at by the police (police are carrying guns openly) so you don't need a weapon to defend yourself in the first place.

I was in china several times, police does not have any guns at all, only the army is allowed to have weapons. Also there's death penalty if you own a gun illegally (which is always the case if you are not a member of the army), which prevents people from selling guns via black market. Since they introduced these laws, heavy criminality is on a significant decline, as can't rob a bank with a knife. Also you would need some serious commitment to kill someone with a knife or a club while pulling a trigger is kind of easy.

- Germany: Police has firearms, doesn't use it, nobody cares about the police in the street, also there is way too few police on the street. This is why bigger cities like Berlin are really dangerous, as no one will help you (you'll get stabbed) and there's never police around.

- USA: Everyone seems to be afraid of the police, the first thing my coworkers told me when i arrived in california is how i should behave if i get pulled over, so that i won't get shot. Completely insane imho, that's just completely fucked up. 

- China: Police has no firearms at all, just small rubber clubs. They are trained how to disarm someone with a knife. There's more police in the streets than in germany. However, no one cares about police. Also, society is different, i actually witnessed a mentally ill person stabbing thin air with a knife in central Lanzhou. Folk circled him, insulted him and shouted for policemen, who arrived after couple of minutes. They just disarmed him and put him in a police car and drove away. 

Yeah, lol, China and knives. Reminds me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cffW2eRPDz8

Really? I've been to Berlin quite a few times and if there's one city I feel safe it's there. Only had to deal with some shady drugdealers who had a nasty vibe but as long as I kept walking and didn't make eye contact everything seemed to be just fine.

I've been in Berlin also a few times, and walked the streets and rode the subway past midnight alone and never felt unsafe.

In my experience most open carry types aren't armed to protect themselves from the police.

On the contrary, they're more likely to have those blue line stickers on their cars in support of the police. They're more likely to place blame on those shot by the police by saying they didn't follow police directions, etc.  Similarly, at least where I live, small town sheriffs support the right to open carry. Granted, as Youtube demonstrates, there are plenty of instances of open carrying with the objective being confrontation with the police.

The point seems more to simply express the right to carry, with the foundation being an over zealous sense of libertarianism and white privilege. I don't think there's anything functional about carrying them in public aside from identifying oneself with a political movement. In that sense they're more of a narcissistic 'douche totem.'

Archived