IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

I still remember the first time encountering JNCOs...some chick wearing them throwing around some X-shaped foam frisbee thing at an airport back in 1995 I think. My brother and I took to calling them "Egypt pants". We were still kids at the time.

5 minutes ago, ambermonke said:

I still remember the first time encountering JNCOs...some chick wearing them throwing around some X-shaped foam frisbee thing at an airport back in 1995 I think. My brother and I took to calling them "Egypt pants". We were still kids at the time.

woah i never got into the bell bottoms, i either wore carharts or military style black BDU trousers. (never both at the same time.) but these days pantswise I exclusively wear a variation of this:

Spoiler

0167efcc7d1f8b836438911d6998e63f.thumb.jpg.df6cbb460e53b958d8f02b25a546ec95.jpg

Edited by rek
  • Like 1

I'm all in on cargos and chinos; I've always disliked denim. And t-shirts. Lots of t-shirts. Artists, labels, graphic streetwear, special things like Neo4ic's... and hoodies. I'm heavy on comfort and personal style.

• Like 4

Until today, I was under the impression that Prince's first album was the self titled 1979 record. But I just found out that "For You" came out in '78, AND that it has one of my long-time top 3 fav Prince tunes: Soft & Wet (I only knew it from some of the greatest hits comps, apparently?). The entire album is stellar, can't believe I've been sleeping on this my entire life. I'm the worst

you are

soft

and wet

oooh wee ooh!

Edited by luke viia

so last night I had one of the most fucked up  dreams/nightmares I've ever had... something really Cronenberg...

I found a kind of purple plant made of something like gelatine/rubber with tentacles that when I touch them each one of them played a tone... so I entertained myself playing weird melodies which I thought to myself that sounded like afx cause they're not on a tempered scale or were microtonal or whatever and I thought that I needed to tell watmm about it... the thing is that everytime I touched the tentacles, they would try to envelope/glue/swallow me to so I was kinda afraid of playing to much because I didn't want it to melt with me... but I couldn't resist it so eventually the plant ended up merging with myself crawling up my arms... but what comes next is pretty embarrassing... the gelly plant or whatever developed some kind of genital organs and started talking and got aroused... and I did too... so the plant's belly started to fold inside recalling the form of an hotdog bun or a taco and I really wanted to stick my cock inside it, I was very horny... but the plant kept saying, we can't do this, stop, but I couldn't resist so I placed my cock inside it and told the plant I was gonna come... I whispered a countdown in her ear, 3, 2, 1, and then I woke up, with a boner... what's wrong with me...

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1
  • Big Brain 1

I think one of the reasons society feels so fucked up right now is because nobody reads books any more. books are how we know virtually everything regarding our history on this planet. actions and events recorded and edited in text. reading internet all day has really done a number on a bunch of people's brains. so much bullshit online, nonsense designed to pit people against each other.

another reason I think society feels off at this present time is the phenomenon that everyone's free time must be occupied by starring at a screen. like don't people know how to sit and do nothing any more? don't y'all remember before internet how much time people spent literally sitting and waiting, doing nothing, just thinking? there is something to be said for those moments spent in mindlessness...like sometimes it takes a minute to think on things in order to see them clearly. it seems that this activity doesn't occur as much as it used to. it is all largely fast paced reactive decision making against something viewed as antagonistic. what happened to utilizing logic in making a decision? game planning shit out? I don't know...so many of these fucking people I deal with out there are all running around scamming each other, a bunch of fucking liars. hard not to let that get to a person at times. 

• Like 4

should I read the Fifty Shades and Twilight then? do u think people who've read them are more "intelligent"??? don't you think that I dunno, for every good book written there's like 100 shitty ones?

asking 4 a friend...

BTW I've only read 2 books in my life... the DaVinci Code and Siddhartha... obviously obvs it's not a surprise to most of you...

17 hours ago, zero said:

I think one of the reasons society feels so fucked up right now is because nobody reads books any more. books are how we know virtually everything regarding our history on this planet. actions and events recorded and edited in text. reading internet all day has really done a number on a bunch of people's brains. so much bullshit online, nonsense designed to pit people against each other.

I read about 30-40 books per year but honestly some of them are such trash that the youtube videos I also watch are way more educational and mind opening. So I don't think there is any inherent value in just reading books. They can be pure trashy entertainment or bigoted hate mongering or whatever.

Yesterday I was reading a book in a Sherlock Holmes vs. Cthulhu series and watched a Youtube video of a Slavoj Žižek vs Yuval Noah Harari discussion on the nature of, well, nature. The book was just pure entertainment and the youtube video was actually the educational and intellectually stimulating, and so on and so on.

What I mean is just that books are one medium and it's the contents that are important. I don't think anyone got much more intelligent by reading the billion books in the Warrior Cats series.

17 hours ago, zero said:

another reason I think society feels off at this present time is the phenomenon that everyone's free time must be occupied by starring at a screen. like don't people know how to sit and do nothing any more?

I've actually freaked out my friends by just staring at the emptiness in a train and bus for hours even before the mobile internet was everywhere, lol. My ex also hated it when I did that.

Something like this:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

BTW I've only read 2 books in my life... the DaVinci Code and Siddhartha... obviously obvs it's not a surprise to most of you...

My grandfather never went to a proper school, but to a kind of mobile school that would stop in his village now and then. That's where he learned to read and write. The funny thing is that, to everyone's knowledge, the only book he ever read in his life was Victor Hugo's Les Misérables which is absolutely massive brick of a book. Decades later my family is still talking about how he read Les Misérables. The story of him reading the book has become an epic in itself.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

BTW I've only read 2 books in my life... 

ha! that explains a lot! (upside down pizza in tinfoil oven never forget where tf is ding luv ya tim j ?)

yeah suppose I should've indicated non-fiction books. but reading what I said again does come across as sorta elitist, which wasn't my intent. the act of reading in and of itself isn't what I was thinking, more so reading stuff that can help broaden a person's horizons, get them thinking on subjects they may have not know too much about before. like gaining wisdom, that sorta thing. I guess what spawned that comment is the fact that I rarely see books in peoples houses any more. or at least the people I've encountered over the past years. book shelves are still there in like the older generation's houses, but I don't see them as often in people in their 30's/40's. it's all just people starring at phones. again, just a pointless thought.

5 hours ago, zkom said:

What I mean is just that books are one medium and it's the contents that are important. I don't think anyone got much more intelligent by reading the billion books in the Warrior Cats series.

yeah that's what I was intending to say. the content is what counts. but I do sometimes think that a book has had time to be edited, with the author re-wording and creating a cohesive narrative that is possibly easier to gain knowledge from. like for thousands of years books were the way humans passed along knowledge from one generation to the next. youtube videos containing factual info are great and all, and of course can be edited as well...just the fact remains that in institutions of higher education, it is still books that dominate the academic landscape. no clue if youtube videos are used in classes now to pass along knowledge to students. been a minute now since I was in university.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zero said:

just the fact remains that in institutions of higher education, it is still books that dominate the academic landscape. no clue if youtube videos are used in classes now to pass along knowledge to students. been a minute now since I was in university.

How much books you read really depends on the field you are in. I was in engineering so I read very few text books for my master's degree. I bought three, I think, and then maybe loaned around 5 books. I don't think I read any of them from front to back, just the relevant parts to pass the courses. Mostly I got the information from lectures, lecture notes, labs and exercises. When I started on the PhD I was just reading tons of research articles. I can only remember one book. But I never finished that degree.

Anyway, watching a video of the lecture and sitting at the lecture aren't really that different in my opinion. If you have questions you can just email the professor or go visit during the visiting hours. And if you've ever been in a lecture in Finland you know the students generally ask very few questions, publicly at least. God, if I had had the option to just watch the lecture being streamed instead of going to the uni back then I would've been doing it all the time.

• Like 1

A room without books is like a body without a soul.
-- Marcus Aurelius

You can tell a lot from a person's bookshelf, or the lack thereof. I have about 40 shelf-metres of physical books and a few hundred electronic ones, and that's not counting comics and graphic novels, which add quite a bit more.

54 minutes ago, dcom said:

You can tell a lot from a person's bookshelf, or the lack thereof. I have about 40 shelf-metres of physical books and a few hundred electronic ones, and that's not counting comics and graphic novels, which add quite a bit more.

I don't own much books anymore because I've either given away or sold most of them. I still have a few boxes of books stashed away in a storage room. The problem was that I've moved a lot and I didn't even have a permanent residence for a long time so I just got rid of hundreds of books. Mostly I read ebooks now. And even comics I read mostly electronically.

This week I went to drop off a book I just had finished to a book recycling point at a library and then ended up picking two books to go with me. I'm not sure how I keep accumulating more of them when I'm trying to get rid off them :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, zkom said:

I don't own much books anymore because I've either given away or sold most of them.

Yeah, it's a choice. I've also tied myself down with a literal metric ton (actually over) of vinyl, so.

1 hour ago, dcom said:

re: electronic books. I tried that maybe around 10 years ago. read a few on a tablet. then I realized that this is not the way I want to enjoy this medium, by spending more hours starring at a screen. the tactile sensation and physical action of holding a book, page turning, and repeat, NOT starring at a screen, are important factors for me. funnily enough though I do enjoy reading comics on a tablet more so than the physical medium. perhaps the digital factor adds to the artwork, can present it more attractively or something. I dunno.

On 9/4/2022 at 6:01 AM, cruising for burgers said:

so last night I had one of the most fucked up  dreams/nightmares I've ever had... something really Cronenberg...

I found a kind of purple plant made of something like gelatine/rubber with tentacles that when I touch them each one of them played a tone... so I entertained myself playing weird melodies which I thought to myself that sounded like afx cause they're not on a tempered scale or were microtonal or whatever and I thought that I needed to tell watmm about it... the thing is that everytime I touched the tentacles, they would try to envelope/glue/swallow me to so I was kinda afraid of playing to much because I didn't want it to melt with me... but I couldn't resist it so eventually the plant ended up merging with myself crawling up my arms... but what comes next is pretty embarrassing... the gelly plant or whatever developed some kind of genital organs and started talking and got aroused... and I did too... so the plant's belly started to fold inside recalling the form of an hotdog bun or a taco and I really wanted to stick my cock inside it, I was very horny... but the plant kept saying, we can't do this, stop, but I couldn't resist so I placed my cock inside it and told the plant I was gonna come... I whispered a countdown in her ear, 3, 2, 1, and then I woke up, with a boner... what's wrong with me...

“What are you doing *step afx plant*?”

Edited by Berk
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, zero said:

re: electronic books. I tried that maybe around 10 years ago. read a few on a tablet. then I realized that this is not the way I want to enjoy this medium, by spending more hours starring at a screen. the tactile sensation and physical action of holding a book, page turning, and repeat, NOT starring at a screen, are important factors for me.

I concur, but then again, although we have quite a bit of real estate (for an apartment), something's got to give so I've scaled down physical media acquisitions to a bare minimum, and to make up for my voracious appetite for both books and music, I've turned to the digital domain. I still prefer books as dead tree editions and music on petroleum byproduct, but with a family and restricted space (and a spouse who's not happy about piles of books, records, comics, music equipment and other detritus accumulating) I've made a choice.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

I'm always happy to take a good book that was discarded by its previous owner. Last time I found Neitzsche's Thus Spoke Zaratustra, someone left it in a box on top of a dumpster. A couple of months ago I salvaged a crate of books, among them big color art books, folk arts decoration patterns collections, a book about Cossacks and some construction DIYs. People just give them away? I am happy to take it. It would be so good to have a place for a big study room of my own.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cichlisuite said:

I'm always happy to take a good book that was discarded by its previous owner. Last time I found Neitzsche's Thus Spoke Zaratustra, someone left it in a box on top of a dumpster. A couple of months ago I salvaged a crate of books, among them big color art books, folk arts decoration patterns collections, a book about Cossacks and some construction DIYs. People just give them away? I am happy to take it. It would be so good to have a place for a big study room of my own.

The two books I randomly found in the book recycling shelf are set in some kind of cyberpunk alternate history/future where the Ottoman empire never disappeared. I've never heard of them. Might be shit but the premise sounds interesting at least.

8 hours ago, zkom said:

cyberpunk alternate history/future where the Ottoman empire never disappeared. I've never heard of them. Might be shit but the premise sounds interesting at least.

lol that sounds intriguing actually. does it have any ilustrations?

Edited by cichlisuite

2 hours ago, cichlisuite said:

lol that sounds intriguing actually. does it have any ilustrations?

No, except for the quite minimalist cover. It's the first two parts of the Arabesk trilogy by Jon Courtenay Grimwood. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabesk_trilogy