IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

Has anyone ever slipped on a banana peel ?

How many people does this type of accident effect a year ?

had a high school teacher (in '09 or something) slip on one while walking down a hallway, so it might still be a thing

There was an episode of mythbusters where they covered a small concrete rink in banana peels and tried to cross from one end to the other.  Lot of falling IIRC.

I wonder what Kari from mythbusters is up to these days but I'm not internet stalker-y enough to find out.

Abba - Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) is pop perfection.  Ditto for Take A Chance On Me.  If I were to ever buy a greatest hits compilation it would probably be Abba.  When they hit, they hit hard.  Those arrangements.   :catsupine:

Abba - Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) is pop perfection.  Ditto for Take A Chance On Me.  If I were to ever buy a greatest hits compilation it would probably be Abba.  When they hit, they hit hard.  Those arrangements.   :catsupine:

what the fuck. I was no joke just about to post about gimme! gimme! gimme!

just spent like four days trying to remember where that melody was from and finally found it tonight.

I think I was thinking of Hung Up by Madonna which samples it.

I used to live right next to the open venue where the infamous Abba musical (Mamma Mia I think it was called) was played. For three years, the entire summer, I listened to rehearsals throughout the day, then to the main show in the evening. It sapped the last ounce of Abba appreciation I had. I don't want to hear another Abba chord. But yeah, I once thought they were quite alright myself.

what the fuck. I was no joke just about to post about gimme! gimme! gimme!

just spent like four days trying to remember where that melody was from and finally found it tonight.

I think I was thinking of Hung Up by Madonna which samples it.

Haha, weird!  It's my channel to the watmm Collective Unconscious.

I used to live right next to the open venue where the infamous Abba musical (Mamma Mia I think it was called) was played. For three years, the entire summer, I listened to rehearsals throughout the day, then to the main show in the evening. It sapped the last ounce of Abba appreciation I had. I don't want to hear another Abba chord. But yeah, I once thought they were quite alright myself.

That's totally fair.  The only time I'm ever subjected to Abba is when I do it myself, and the last time was maybe 5 years ago when I went through their discography last... which I'm doing again now.  Crafty bastards they were.  Every instrument in every song is doing some melodic or rhythmic hook pretty much start to finish.  That's pop in the truest sense of the word.

Whilst trying to find examples of a band "one-sheet" I came across this inspirational bio nugget:

They don’t like the term “boy band” but they also know that there's currently no country band on the charts that includes four musicians that play their own instruments and write their own songs that also happen to be the same age as the fans they play for."

Impressive.

It's kind of weird that the work-rest cycle of 7 days is pretty much the same world-wide, except for some minor differences, and the whole thing is based on a Judeo-Christian creation myth. Is this really the optimal work-life balance? Can't we base this thing on science in the 21st century already?

i'm not a big fan of fatboy slim after his second album but i can't not be amused at the lyric for wonderful night:

Our styles fuckin' Poshlike Dave Beckham

Edited by yek

The Verve were fantastic music secret squirrels. Lots of folks rave about their earlier releases compared to the world famous Urban Hymns, but I'm not so sure about that. Their best tracks are indeed on Urban Hymns but not any of the singles released!! Catching The Butterfly, Neon Wilderness, Space and Time, Weeping Willow, Velvet Morning. All killer tunes.

Combined with Bittersweet Symphony, Lucky Man and The Rolling People makes this quite an exceptional album. Indeed.

Edited by beerwolf

Listening to a Vampire Weekend album for the first time, the debut one.  While I'm not a big fan of the music itself save a couple tracks, that Rostam guy is a fucking powerhouse talent.  The string arrangements and production are far better than they have any right to be for someone's first attempt.  So yeah, level of professionalism is staggering.  I can see why this band exploded the way they did.  A lot of the indie music cliches that make me chuckle are present, but that's likely the fault of the subsequent imitators for turning them into cliches.  Interesting hearing something so clearly influential on more recent popular music for the first time.  I didn't really have any idea what to expect.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

Listening to a Vampire Weekend album for the first time, the debut one. While I'm not a big fan of the music itself save a couple tracks, that Rostam guy is a fucking powerhouse talent. The string arrangements and production are far better than they have any right to be for someone's first attempt. So yeah, level of professionalism is staggering. I can see why this band exploded the way they did. A lot of the indie music cliches that make me chuckle are present, but that's likely the fault of the subsequent imitators for turning them into cliches. Interesting hearing something so clearly influential on more recent popular music for the first time. I didn't really have any idea what to expect.

I really like their music. I'm not really interested in modern rock music nor do i listen to the radio but I gave these guys a chance and like all of it.

This probably sounds like overly broad existential crap. But I'm still having a hard time figuring out where we're headed as a species. I wonder if modern technology especially with the advent of smartphones and social media (I exclude internet because its inception was 30 years ago) has actually hampered our primate instincts at banding together for the sake of support and survival. Like it seems like being socially detached isn't an isolated case, but rather an increasingly widespread phenomenon. For I suspect the aforementioned technology is rewiring our brains, to a degree that we're socially handicapped. And that all this could attribute to the cultural and political divides we see today. Needless to say, I think this trend will make it much more difficult to tackle the global problems we face today, especially the elephant in the room that is climate change.

Again, none of this is scientific or academic research in nature. Basically pontificating is all, but based on the daily information intake from online coupled with personal experiences and observations in the past three or four years. TBH I'm trying my best to explain something potentially important that I don't fully understand.

Then again, this entire post could probably be summed up in a single dank meme.

Well, they're like regular earbuds except wireless and you gotta charge them and they're easier to lose. Plus you look like a bit of a plonker wen you wear them.