Sign in to follow this  
modey

Digitone

Thanks man

Hey are you recording stereo out or using USB out ?

There's no USB out yet. Admittedly I haven't really had time to make many tracks with mine but I've been doing a lot of sound design. I think I'm gonna start working on some sound packs, actually.

Mmm really so it's not overbridge enabled either yet ?

I'm a big Elektron fan but the management of the pitch va product has been sub optimal .

Looking forward to digging through your sound packs man !

Yeah they've been taking their time on Overbridge. Hopefully it's worth it though.

And yeah, I'll be releasing a "general" soundpack for free at first and then selling some style-specific packs, depending on what's popular in the free one.

First thing I'm really happy with on the Digitone:

100% Digitone, lightly mastered. Sounds a bit Oversteps-y. Not much in terms of melodic progression but it's a nice meandering semi-generative thing.

edit: the arp is really strange and will take some getting used to.. I wish it had a note off feature for infinite length trigs.

Edited by modey

Fuck yeah man tidy as . Now I'm embarrassed lol !

That "snare" is so wicked and that melody at the end sounds incredible . You've inspired me man . How much are you riding the parameters when recording vs programming in the automation ?

Thanks!

It's mostly programmed automation via the HOLD LFO on a few parameters, mixed with trig conditions to make things a bit more generative sounding. At the beginning I was tweaking the initial "bass" sound, and then I did some tweaking to the lead (which is an arp that repeats every 512 steps, but gets a bit wonky here and there) and ambient pad towards the end. 

edit: also, most of these sounds will be in a sound pack I'm working on (including that snare), so stay tuned :D

Edited by modey

Getting comfortable with param locks by putting all of the percussion on T1: https://www.instagram.com/p/BiqXLX4lSdv/

Awesome !

I found when doing that you can experiment by locking the amount of voices to pattern and it produces different choke effects that are pretty cool.

Edited by Stickfigger

its a real shame that your LFO settings change when you change a sound. 

Getting comfortable with param locks by putting all of the percussion on T1: https://www.instagram.com/p/BiqXLX4lSdv/

Sounds great!

Awesome !

I found when doing that you can experiment by locking the amount of voices to pattern and it produces different choke effects that are pretty cool.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of monophonic percussion patterns, I think that's why I like things like the PO-35 so much. It really allows for some early-mid Autechre/Gescom style beats.

its a real shame that your LFO settings change when you change a sound. 

Hmm? LFO settings are saved with the sound. What are you trying to do?

Modey you might be able to shed some light on this.

If you have a single track with multiple sounds loaded on different steps and you tweak variables, my understanding is that it is only tweaking the variables of the actual "track" sound as opposed to the different sounds which may be loaded per step. 

So for example if i had a kick drum on step 1 and a snare on step 4 on the same track, if i'm riding a parameter like Attack - Mod B or something like that it'll only affect the kick drum.  I haven't done enough on it to know if this is the same case if you Ctrl_All ...

Did this make any sense to you from a design perspective? 

Edited by Stickfigger

Yeah I've done a bit of testing with that and sound locks will always override any parameter tweaks, unless you happen to be adjusting a parameter at the time the sound plays, or if you're in live recording mode, which will record tweaks as parameter locks. So, parameter locks have priority over sound locks, which have priority over the parameters used by the track.

Consider sound locks to just be parameter locks, but for (potentially) every parameter at once.

It is a bit weird, but I'm not sure if it could work any other way.

Made another little ditty: 

https://soundcloud.com/colin-dyer/digitone-jam-03

Is it just me or is the UI concerning effect sends kind of confusing? When you're just navigating around, it's not very explicit where it's being sent from or going to.

Mmmm yeah not necessarily intuitive ...

The thing I find weird is the general inconsistency of how things work between the Elektron devices . My understanding is you can't turn or mod the arp per step on the digitone but you can do this on the Octatrack ... I think this device would really benefit from greater control over the arp

i really like these boxes, but coming from a modular background i cant help but get annoyed at how truly great they could be if you could just re-route the available LFO's to other channels. even with 4 LFOs to one sound on the digitakt you could make some utterly wild sounds. 1 lfo is just a teast. 

I'm ready for overbridge

i really like these boxes, but coming from a modular background i cant help but get annoyed at how truly great they could be if you could just re-route the available LFO's to other channels. even with 4 LFOs to one sound on the digitakt you could make some utterly wild sounds. 1 lfo is just a teast.

Yeah, I'm not sure why only the machinedrum has this feature. It'd be super useful imo!

1 LFO on the digitakt is really underdone i agree. 

Anyone used this at really slow speeds and did a lot of plocking? I'm finding the stepping between values a bit of a turn off ... wish there was a way to have these variables change more gradually 

I think once things don't sound organic you should instead record live. Doesn't fix the problem persay but introduces the element of human error that distracts from computer parameters.

Also this thing fucks.

Hey..

But what i'm saying is... if you record live this really just then turns into a bunch of plocks and i'm finding finding that it starts to step a little bit..

so when you're tweaking a knob it'll go through all of the intermediate variables independent of what 'step' is firing... but once you've recorded this it will trigger whatever parameter was playing per step 

I think once things don't sound organic you should instead record live. Doesn't fix the problem persay but introduces the element of human error that distracts from computer parameters.

Also this thing fucks.

Realtime parameter record on the Tanzmaus is like what you're describing too, it's kind of frustrating.

Edited by RSP

Its just record+play (tweak) then play

no slide trigs on the digitone?

Guest Chesney

It's only going to snapshot the parameter when the trig hits so it's always going to step. You'd have to use a slide trig to slide from one trig to the next on any you consider un musical.