Sign in to follow this  
modey

Digitone

• Like 1

Spotted this on hardware jams a few days ago - some nice bits on there :)

Really starting to get deep with sound design..

• Like 1

^ nice! New kind of arovane

Howd you compare it to mnm?

Edited by xox

Used to own a Digitone, really fun little synth, and I got a hankering it will pave the way for more user friendly FM synths in the future. Before I sold mine, I sampled all the drum presets, used on this live jam. 

thx guys! Haven't heard any Arovane beyond uh.. Tides? Oh wait maybe Ve Palor. Really need to get on it!

Howd you compare it to mnm?

It's very different. The polyphonic architecture makes it possible to get some interesting structures going that aren't possible on the monomachine. The MnM's effects are more intense/extreme in comparison to the DN.. though the DN's overdrive can get pretty heavy.

The MnM's strength is shaping raw, basic waveforms, while the DN is best at making an interesting sound just using the FM operators, and then exploiting the LFOs and filters.. imo :D

Arovane: Atol Scrap is way better. Very coherent album, too.

Digitone sounds fantastic. Wonder if it does things Operator doesn't.

In terms of FM synthesis alone, probably not.. but it's the parts working together that make it a very nice machine.

overbridge is finally out in beta today, im off to the studio to give it a whirl

yeah can't wait to give it a try. That said though, I don't know if I'll even use multitracking, let alone the DAW total recall stuff.. I'm happy with the stereo output, especially with the master overdrive, but I guess mixing the original tracks back in might have some nice effects.

speaking of master overdrive..

elektron should pay you five million money

i didnt realise that digitone does not yet have a vst for parameter control on overbridge yet, thats a shame. 

elektron should pay you five million money

maan if only :D

Really good stuff, Modey! Love the textures you're getting from the overdrive.

I’m a software guy yet the Digitone might be the hardware synth I’m the most aroused by. Lovely vids modey!

thanks guys! I'm gonna keep making these videos, they're fun

That video sounds good. I messed around with one in switched on yesterday and was kind of just meh about it

I still hate the sound lock functionality. The idea of selecting a sound per step is so unintuitive to my brain. Much prefer the OTs sample slot function.

46 minutes of meditative ambience recorded in the front garden of my house. Bonus dog footage!

This is actually one of my top favourite releases for 2018! So nice and just the right tones are played and it has a really great flow to it all. (I bought it at bandcamp, didn't know there was a video too) Well done!

This is actually one of my top favourite releases for 2018! So nice and just the right tones are played and it has a really great flow to it all. (I bought it at bandcamp, didn't know there was a video too) Well done!

Ah, thanks so much!

The garden has changed a bit since then; once this Melbourne heatwave is over I'll make a new video.

I've been playing with the digitone exclusively for the last few weeks... here's a recording from last night:

https://soundcloud.com/user-507726405/track-7?fbclid=IwAR3QvcIRcdnkv5NfTa_gbCWGbdpjX-sgzr7_VojL3OamPkHVG-xRoi3PJVo

fkn sick, great sounds!

Genuine curiosity, how do Mark Fell's presets sound ? Are they insightful / useful in any way ?

By the way, is Overbridge for the Digitone now available ? I'm still seriously considering buying one, and OT'd be the most flexible way for me to control it with TidalCycles.

No overbridge yet ... the only preset that really screams Fell to me is the "kind kick" which well , it's a kick drum

I honestly haven't really listened to the presets beyond an initial scroll through when I first got it. I keep forgetting that Mark Fell was involved. I should really have a look at them at some point.

As for Overbridge, the multitrack audio has apparently been implemented, just not the VST side. I haven't tried it yet though. But I'm sure that, in combination with USB-MIDI, should be enough for TidalCycles, right?

Thanks! It should do already indeed. I still don't have the dough though, so it's more about saving for the right synth.

Regarding MF's presets, I basically never use presets myself but would enjoy some insight on his sound-design (as I quite like the guy's work).